Wait for 5 or get 4 now???

kritter217

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I am an iPhone 3 (not even 3GS, just 3G) owner who was not eligible for an upgrade last summer when iPhone 4 was released. By the time I became eligible we were halfway towards this summer's supposed release of iPhone 5. Now, with rumors swirling, and my iPhone 3G rapidly becoming more and more dated, do I wait to see what happens with 5, or just go ahead and upgrade to 4?? For me, the jump from 3G to 4 would be a tremendous update....but what if 5 turns out to be even more spectacular? I am torn. I know that I can't play the "what if" game, but if the iPhone 5 turns out to be a major update over 4 I may regret not waiting. However, if it truly doesn't get released until fall or 2012, or if the differences are not that dramatic over the iPhone 4, I will kick myself for not just getting the 4. Anyone want to untangle my brain?????':confused:

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's the general idea. Get the 4 now and sell it when the 5 is out.

You will most likely lose some money since the announcement will cause supply surges of used iPhone 4's, driving down prices.

Just think of it as a rental fee for the remaining months of using your 4.

Mk4Jetta

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 does everything I needed it to so i chose to get it. If the 5 comes out and it's that much better then sell your 4 and get it. I don't see it being a huge upgrade though. I don't care about 4g or a bigger screen, how fast do you honestly need your cell phone Internet to be?? And I don't like the big screen phones that are coming out now.

kritter217

May 6, 2009
Visit site
At that point I would be paying full price for the 5 (say 500.00 minimum?) and selling the 4 for how much? Maybe 100-150? That's an expensive difference.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
At that point I would be paying full price for the 5 (say 500.00 minimum?) and selling the 4 for how much? Maybe 100-150? That's an expensive difference.

You would be able to sell your iPhone 4 for at least $300 at the bare minimum and likely more. Best Buy will give you almost $500 for it right now (32GB in excellent condition) through their trade in program.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Geez, how many of these threads do we really need? If you look, there have been at least 50 other threads with the same exact title. No one can decide for you, especially since no one knows ANYTHING about when the iphone 5 will be released. Could be June, could be September or even later. Just make a decision and stick with it!

My logic in the situation: I just bought my first iphone a couple of months ago when it was released on Verizon. At this point, I am extremely happy with the phone itself, while iOS leaves a lot to be desired IMO. When the iphone 5 drops, all iphone 4's will be getting iOS 5, I will be happy with this upgrade alone. The hardware is still the best out there. I just do not see any other phone topping the hardware design (which is the nicest I have ever seen/held). The iphone 4 is not about to become obsolete even in the next year. Carriers will drop their prices on them when iphone 5 is released, and people will still be buying the iphone 4 well into 2012, just like people are still buying the 3GS today.

Don't worry about it so much, get the iphone 4 and be happy with it, there will ALWAYS be somethting newer and better right around the corner, but for now, the iphone 4 is still nothing short of amazing, and that is not going to change any time soon....

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
On a side note: from what I understand, the upgrade between 3GS to iphone 4 is quite substantial compared to 3G-3GS. Brand new hardware design, and much better battery life, facetime, skype, etc. So you guys are holding on to your 3G or 3GS iphones in anticipation of something even better than iP4, while in the meantime you are missing out on all of the great benefits to using iP4 vs. 3GS.

What exactly is it that you are waiting for? What do you think the iphone 5 will have that will make it so much better than iphone 4?

iDev

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Geez, how many of these threads do we really need? If you look, there have been at least 50 other threads with the same exact title. No one can decide for you, especially since no one knows ANYTHING about when the iphone 5 will be released. Could be June, could be September or even later. Just make a decision and stick with it!

My logic in the situation: I just bought my first iphone a couple of months ago when it was released on Verizon. At this point, I am extremely happy with the phone itself, while iOS leaves a lot to be desired IMO. When the iphone 5 drops, all iphone 4's will be getting iOS 5, I will be happy with this upgrade alone. The hardware is still the best out there. I just do not see any other phone topping the hardware design (which is the nicest I have ever seen/held). The iphone 4 is not about to become obsolete even in the next year. Carriers will drop their prices on them when iphone 5 is released, and people will still be buying the iphone 4 well into 2012, just like people are still buying the 3GS today.

Don't worry about it so much, get the iphone 4 and be happy with it, there will ALWAYS be somethting newer and better right around the corner, but for now, the iphone 4 is still nothing short of amazing, and that is not going to change any time soon....

Good call, agree with you totally

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have the 3GS, and it does feel dated, but I'm reluctant to jump ship, since there's nothing it doesn't do that the 4 would do, functionally. I hate hate hate hate AT&T, and I'm tired of dropped calls, so I've come extremely close to dumping it for the Verizon 4. I'd rather have Sprint, so I'm waiting to see what happens this summer.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the 3GS, and it does feel dated, but I'm reluctant to jump ship, since there's nothing it doesn't do that the 4 would do, functionally.

Besides take better pictures, have a better display, video chat capabilities, etc. you are right

golfnut

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think my wife and I are just gonna get the ip4's. I was leaning towards waiting but the 4 is plenty good enough..especially since this will be our first iphones at all. I travel for work so video calls are priceless to us.

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Wait for the iPhone5. Hold on for 2-3 more months. That's my opinion.

I dont think you read the bottom of the last page. He will wait 2-3 more months, it will turn out the iphone will still not be released due to whatever reason, and then what? Get the 4, or continue waiting?

The 4 is a good device and I cannot think of anything that will come with the 5 that will be so mind blowing that the upgrade will be that desirable besides the novelty factor.

As others have said, get the 4, sell it when 5 comes out, if the 5 is desirable enough.

Besides take better pictures, have a better display, video chat capabilities, etc. you are right

You forgot to mention HSDPA+ chip which is a big plus.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I think my wife and I are just gonna get the ip4's. I was leaning towards waiting but the 4 is plenty good enough..especially since this will be our first iphones at all. I travel for work so video calls are priceless to us.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can't FaceTime without a wifi connection on both parties. So if you're travelling alot, you'll need a place with wifi.

Another option is to JB your phone and get the 3G unrestrictor app from Cydia, or My3G which fools the phone into thinking it's on wifi.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can't FaceTime without a wifi connection on both parties. So if you're travelling alot, you'll need a place with wifi.

Another option is to JB your phone and get the 3G unrestrictor app from Cydia, or My3G which fools the phone into thinking it's on wifi.

Skype video chat works quite well over 3G.... at least in my experience

phinx404

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
get both? if it was me in your place knowing that iphone5 is more than likley coming out late this year is get the iphone 4 now and use it until after the first wave of shipments is done for iphone5 and all the bugs and software issues are worked out and then get the iphone5 and sell your iphone4 to pay for the no contract iphone ya bought. thats just me.

Reactions: golfnut

golfnut

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
get both? if it was me in your place knowing that iphone5 is more than likley coming out late this year is get the iphone 4 now and use it until after the first wave of shipments is done for iphone5 and all the bugs and software issues are worked out and then get the iphone5 and sell your iphone4 to pay for the no contract iphone ya bought. thats just me.

This..I think this sounds like the best plan for us. Maybe we'll just hang on to the 4's until the ip6 arrives. I know we have plenty to learn in the meantime..:)

Also, I've checked out skype and it'll do when we don't have wifi..all my hotels have wifi and our home does as well.
Getting ours this coming Thursday!!

Last edited:

vplc

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
is it a bad strategy to wait for the 5 to get the 4 for cheaper? Doesn't apple usually price drop the older version when the new one comes out?