Tonite, my iPhone has suddenly started giving me the message that it cannot retrieve email because the password or username is incorrect. I have rechecked everything and re-entered my password in the mail settings. What is interesting is that I did not make any changes or edits to the settings to begin with and no one else has had any access to my iPhone. I tried rebooting and that did not help either. Anyone have any ideas? I am not the best at setting up email accounts, but don't get what is going on since I didn't make any changes to start with. I logged into my email account on my computer using my usual username and password without any difficulty. I am so frustrated that I cannot figure this out! All help appreciated!
    04-12-2011 01:20 AM
    Tonite, my iPhone has suddenly started giving me the message that it cannot retrieve email because the password or username is incorrect. I have rechecked everything and re-entered my password in the mail settings. What is interesting is that I did not make any changes or edits to the settings to begin with and no one else has had any access to my iPhone. I tried rebooting and that did not help either. Anyone have any ideas? I am not the best at setting up email accounts, but don't get what is going on since I didn't make any changes to start with. I logged into my email account on my computer using my usual username and password without any difficulty. I am so frustrated that I cannot figure this out! All help appreciated!
    What e-mail provider are you using? GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, something else?
    04-12-2011 01:47 AM
    As a rule it is an issue with how you enter your login details. Try to duble check (and think positive!)
    04-12-2011 04:22 AM
    contact your email provider
    04-12-2011 08:15 AM
    if you are using exchange, try deleting the email address and re-adding it. This has happened to me a couple times
    04-12-2011 08:37 AM
    This has happened to me also. It was for my college email address, so I just got fed up and setup my college email address to be forwarded to my primary email. I couldn't find a solution myself.
    04-12-2011 08:47 AM
    Open a GMAIL account and you can funnel all of your different email addresses through that. Works flawless and easy to set up!
    04-12-2011 09:50 AM
    i've found this to be an issue when using Google's exchange services, once in a while when i try to check my mail when in very low or no signal.

the phone also told me my passwords for my CalDAV settings were wrong too..

i just hit cancel on all the password requests, and when i moved to an area with better signal, the error did not return.
    04-12-2011 10:03 AM
    If it is a Gmail issue, go to https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha and fill it in. This is what I did and never got this issue again (set up as Exchange)
    04-12-2011 10:10 AM
    Thanks all for the help. Turned out to be an issue with my email provider. After posting tried signing on from laptop (should have done this first before posting - duh!) and encountered the same issues. Problem resolved itself. Thanks again, this is always forum is always a great resource.
    04-15-2011 12:28 PM
    I have been having this problem too. I have only had my iphone for a week. After I restart the phone it works as it should.
    04-25-2011 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD