UPDATE: AT&T Crackdown on MyWi Tethering

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to know as well.

I just got a message from at&t asking me if I knew that "...tethering your smartphone to a computer requires a data plan." I was advised to call a number or check on att.com/dataplans

I don't use MyWi. I do, however, use a lot of data. Thanks for any info.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just got a message from at&t asking me if I knew that "...tethering your smartphone to a computer requires a data plan." I was advised to call a number or check on att.com/dataplans

See, if I wasn't tethering that would really piss me off if they changed the plan
on me automatically. I'd call and say "Hey, I'm not tethering at all." before they
go and change it on you.

fivebawdy

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

so what do you plan on doing? if possible, please report back to what you find out.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I use MyWi sporadically, mostly when I want to use my iPad but I am not in a wifi zone. I haven't received any message (although now that I have posted this, I probably will!)

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

If you dont mind my asking, how much data do you use?

And isn't there supposed to be an email that follows the text that warns that they will automatically switch your plan if you dont stop tethering?? I'd definitely be interested to know if you get that!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

interesting.. can you say possible "scare tactic"?

jeffskent

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have used more than 524 GB down over the last year, not using MyWi, but rather a Carrier something mod. ATT has only recently complained, and my last bill shows GBs downloaded almost every day since they have recently improved their HSPA+ network. I can now get between 1 amd 3 Mbps down.

Since I don't want to pay $45 per month for a 4 GB tethering data cap, I've switched to Time Warner cable modem at $29.99 per month for up to 10 Mbps. It is excellent. I have two computers and a WiFi only iPad attached. Works well, so far. Further info if any one is interested.

leaky_tiki

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Any new news?

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but I was wondering if there is any new news about AT&T and if they are still going after MiWi users? If so, does TetherMe or any other app hide the data as tethering from the carrier? I have a conference coming up and might need tethering capabilities for some of it. I appreciate your help!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They have not officially changed anyone's data plan that has been reported, every once in a while you'll read about someone's tethering service through MyWi being juggernauted and they lose any kind of legitimate connection (and in turn, any kind of real usefulness)...but i don't think AT&T has actually implemented any kind of actual contract change or anything, so far...like someone mentioned before...primarily just a scare tactic to this point in time.

But i do think once they figure out a way TO do it (that retains legality of changing a customers contract), it'll be a broad spectrum adjustment, and EVERYONE will report it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods