Sooo...I got a used iphone 3G from a friend when he got the 3GS. I had the charging port replaced (the contacts were corroded, so it wasn't accepting any charge when I plugged it in), but otherwise it worked. Once the port was replaced, I decided to try to jailbreak it so that I could use my own phone plan with sim card. I downloaded and tried greenpois0n, but it made my iphone switch off and not turn back on again. When I opened itunes, it said that the phone was in recovery mode, but it wouldn't restart. I held down the power button and it still didn't work, started flipping out a little...and then plugged it back in, and fortunately it went through a restore to factory settings. It asked me to insert my SIM, so I did, but it says it's "not supported," which is not a surprise...do I need to unlock it? Or jailbreak it? Or both? I really appreciate any help you can give me, and thanks in advance!!
    04-10-2011 07:10 PM
    What carrier do you have?
    04-10-2011 07:13 PM
    Wha't the firmware you carry? The greenpois0n jailbreak must be failed~
    If you want to jailbreak, turn to: Help Me Jailbreak
    And this wiki howto might can do some help too: Jailbreak Your iPhone - Wired How-To Wiki
    Gretls likes this.
    04-10-2011 10:26 PM
    Thanks for the quick responses--I use bob. It's an Austrian carrier. But I don't know what kind of firmware; where would I find that?
    04-11-2011 12:16 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses--I use bob. It's an Austrian carrier. But I don't know what kind of firmware; where would I find that?
    And what carrier was the phone used on before? Is it locked to that carrier?

And normally you would find it somewhere in the settings, but since you can't get into the phone yet, you can't check it.

Oh, and if the factory restore happened just very recently, you're probably on 4.2.1.
    Gretls likes this.
    04-11-2011 02:16 AM
    It was on Orange...would it do any good to reinsert the old sim card and try to boot it up? At least that way I may be able to get use of the games and apps and iphone again...?
    04-15-2011 12:32 PM
    It was on Orange...would it do any good to reinsert the old sim card and try to boot it up? At least that way I may be able to get use of the games and apps and iphone again...?
    Yeah, put in an Orange SIM and see if it "activates" the phone. If it does, then I think it's still locked to Orange.
    04-15-2011 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD