I'm leaving the country and would like to take my phone for pictures and stuff but I'd like to shut off the phone & data part so I don't get screwed in roaming and data charges. I knew how to do it with my blackberry, but I'm not sure how to do it with the iPhone. Any suggestions?

Also, if wifi is available could I safely hook into that?
    04-07-2011 08:13 AM
    I'm leaving the country and would like to take my phone for pictures and stuff but I'd like to shut off the phone & data part so I don't get screwed in roaming and data charges. I knew how to do it with my blackberry, but I'm not sure how to do it with the iPhone. Any suggestions?

Also, if wifi is available could I safely hook into that?
    Settings -> Airplane Mode, it's the first option and will disable all the radios in your iPhone. You an then turn on wifi and it will remain in airplane mode with the cell radios disabled. You may also want to turn off cellular data and data roaming just be sure.

Settings -> General -> Network

Although with CDMA you probably won't get a signal anyway since just about every where else is GSM.
    04-07-2011 09:17 AM
    So putting it into airplane mode disables the phone function but nothing else? Can I still play games, read books, watch movies, listen to music, etc?
    04-07-2011 09:20 AM
    Yes. Turns the phone into a Touch.
    04-07-2011 09:26 AM
    You guys are great, thanks!
    04-07-2011 09:51 AM
    Would Google Voice work over wifi only if he would need to make a phone call?
    04-07-2011 10:21 AM
    No, because Google Voice merely forwards to a phone number. If you want to make a phone call, find a WiFi spot and use Skype.
    04-07-2011 10:54 AM
    Would Google Voice work over wifi only if he would need to make a phone call?
    GV is not a VOIP solution.
    04-11-2011 11:40 PM
    talkatone... allows for making and receiving gv calls over wifi. look into it if you need wifi access to gv calling. i've used it a few times and it seems to work well.
    04-12-2011 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD