Verizon 3G Speeds

martymapson

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why but I check my 3G speeds quite often. That is why this week when I checked the speed on Sunday I noticed my speed as quite high, very high actually. I normally have between .75 and 1.8 mbs which I thought was pretty normal from what I have read. On Sunday I had speeds between 4.5 and 7.2mps. I didn't even know I could get that speed on the Verizon 3G system. I got my new Verizon Iphone in February. I even have screen shots taken of the tests I took because I didn't think anyone would believe me! LOL How fast are your speeds in your area?

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why but I check my 3G speeds quite often. That is why this week when I checked the speed on Sunday I noticed my speed as quite high, very high actually. I normally have between .75 and 1.8 mbs which I thought was pretty normal from what I have read. On Sunday I had speeds between 4.5 and 7.2mps. I didn't even know I could get that speed on the Verizon 3G system. I got my new Verizon Iphone in February. I even have screen shots taken of the tests I took because I didn't think anyone would believe me! LOL How fast are your speeds in your area?

Are you sure you weren't connected to wifi when you got those speeds? 7.2Mbps is kinda unlikely for CDMA 3G.

wmallen3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I wish. I am in Warner Robins, 2 hours south of Atlanta and my speed sucks. My download are .3 and uploads usually twice that speed. I have called Verizon several times and they say it is a capacity issue and hope to resolve it soon. I got a meg or better on my droid x and droid. That one point really sours me. I know two other who also have the vzn I4 with similiar results.

Blackbelt

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have never experienced speed of more than .7 on my VZ iPhone ( I live in a large metro area) I am just used to this underperforming speed.

martymapson

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone only supports CDMA revision a, which is maxed at 3.6 Mbps I believe. Something isn't right on your end.

What could be wrong? That's the big question. I did not have wifi on. In fact my household wifi account tops out at 3mbs. Actually, on Monday the readings were back to normal for the most part. Of course i checked again on Tuesday and they were back up again. Some areas were lower than others. At first I thought Verizon was doing some sort of tests or something and this was all temporary. But like you stated, I was pretty sure that the bandwidth on Verizon's CDMA network tops out just a bit over 3mbs. I use the 'my 3G speed' app. I just checked it a few minutes ago in my home and got 7.51mbs speed. Plus, everything IS loading at a super fast rate compared to before. Right now I'm very happy for the speed, I Dont know how long it is going to last but I sure would love to know what is behind this mystery.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
What could be wrong? That's the big question. I did not have wifi on. In fact my household wifi account tops out at 3mbs. Actually, on Monday the readings were back to normal for the most part. Of course i checked again on Tuesday and they were back up again. Some areas were lower than others. At first I thought Verizon was doing some sort of tests or something and this was all temporary. But like you stated, I was pretty sure that the bandwidth on Verizon's CDMA network tops out just a bit over 3mbs. I use the 'my 3G speed' app. I just checked it a few minutes ago in my home and got 7.51mbs speed. Plus, everything IS loading at a super fast rate compared to before. Right now I'm very happy for the speed, I Dont know how long it is going to last but I sure would love to know what is behind this mystery.

Try downloading the Speedtest.net app. It would also depend on the serve you're pinging. What's your ping? I usually have a ping around 200-400 and normal speeds are .5 - 1.5 mbps. I would say it's the app not reading speeds correctly.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
All these speedtest applications are very subjective and there is no way to tell if they are legit or correct.

I suggest you base your speed on your experience and real world performance not some app that may or may not be true.

wmallen3

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The performance issue are what got me started looking into it. Youtube videos take forever. This is my only negative buts its a big one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234