Hello all. I currently have a thunderbolt and the battery life is horrible. I have been toying around at getting an iPhone for a while. How is the battery life with your iPhone? How is the email service. I mainly use gmail and was just wondering how it handles emails. Anything I need to know about making the switch? Thanks in advance for your help.
    04-05-2011 02:52 PM
    I thought about going with the Thunderbolt when I got the iPhone. I use GMail, Google Calendar and some of the other Google services, but those two are very important to me. I can tell you that both work great on the iPhone. I don't have any issues at all. I would consider myself a fairly heavy user and I get a full day out of the battery. I unplug about 6:30am and plug back in around 9pm with right around 15-20% of battery left. I came from the original Droid so going to the Thunderbolt would have been the natural thing to do, but I am so glad I didn't. I have a few friends that have it and while the 4G is awesome and the bigger screen is nice, the experience on the iPhone 4 is just amazing. I highly recommend it.
    04-05-2011 03:25 PM
    Hello all. I currently have a thunderbolt and the battery life is horrible. I have been toying around at getting an iPhone for a while. How is the battery life with your iPhone? How is the email service. I mainly use gmail and was just wondering how it handles emails. Anything I need to know about making the switch? Thanks in advance for your help.
    The battery life on the iPhone 4 is incredible. I make it through a day with over 50% remaining. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could stick it out for another day. I like not having to worry about my battery usage. I keep wifi on, GPS, and my brightness is around 75%. When I have had Android phones, I have to turn all the features off and dim the screen to make it last a day.

As for e-mail, you can set up GMail through Exchange and it works like a charm.
    04-05-2011 03:38 PM
    I just picked up an iPhone and I can also say the battery is incredible. Coming from an original Moto Droid, this thing is a beast. I have been playing with it all day and it does last the entire day and then some.
    04-05-2011 04:59 PM
    I've been debating on switching from Android to iPhone for the same reason. My battery was lasting most of the day, but with baseball on now, I spend too much time checking scores, etc., and my battery is dying aroun 9 p.m. which isn't really acceptable.
    04-05-2011 05:29 PM
    Battery life is great ... lasts a good portion of the day for me without a charge.

You can setup gmail as an exchange server so it acts just like it does on your Thunderbolt with calendar/contacts/email.

Your voicemail gets deleted when switching because the iPhone visual voicemail wipes it out and you have to set it up again.
    04-05-2011 05:31 PM
    Battery life: Amazing

Gmail: Also amazing, Just set it up as an exchange account and it syncs both ways almost instantly.
    04-05-2011 05:35 PM
    Thanks to each of you. Looks like I'm picking one up tomorrow to give it a shot. That said how do i set up the gmail as an exchange? Is it a setting in the phone itself. I'll be seeing you all around the forums. One more question, jailbreak or no?
    04-05-2011 09:01 PM
    Just google it. There are step by step instructions.
    04-05-2011 09:41 PM
    Go ahead and grab the iPhone. I love mine. I have had many many phones over the past few years. I just recently bought the thunderbolt to try it out. You are right the battery life is horrible. Yes people say its 4g but I had the evo and it wasn't that bad.

As for gmail I use it exclusively for both email and calendar and the iPhone handle them beautifully. You won't be disappointed.
    04-05-2011 11:23 PM
    how do i set up the gmail as an exchange? Is it a setting in the phone itself. I'll be seeing you all around the forums. One more question, jailbreak or no?
    Go to Setting> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> Add Account> and the select Microsoft Exchange (Not Gmail). Then just enter your login info. More info can be found here.
    isdaako likes this.
    04-06-2011 01:28 AM
    Thanks to each of you. Looks like I'm picking one up tomorrow to give it a shot. That said how do i set up the gmail as an exchange? Is it a setting in the phone itself. I'll be seeing you all around the forums. One more question, jailbreak or no?
    i too have upgraded from an iPhone 3G(T-Mobile). that was such a big step! i love the Verizon iPhone 4 and it's service, the 3G speed is doing well also. the battery last me about almost 2 days with some usual daily use along with Push Notifications for both Facebook & Gmail on Exchange on. i'am also jailbroken and haven't run into any problems yet! and it's totally worth it. quote reply-me or dm if you run into any problems with setting up your g-mail through exchange, i'll be glad to help.
    Last edited by Alveezy; 04-06-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    04-06-2011 07:36 AM
    There is no question about the choices . iPhone 4 is the best phone I have experienced. I am not a heavy phone ( voice) user however after a full day of data exchange my battery stands at 50 percent or more. Millions of users can not be wrong.
    04-06-2011 08:03 AM
    Email and battery life on iPhone is far better in my opinion. I've had both devices/platforms over the past few years and actually trying out the TBolt now and the same email gripes I had with the EVO are the same I have with the TBolt. Of course, gmail integration is slightly better but setting it up on iPhone as exchange provides the same if not better experience and the iPhone email client is just better for most things. Having said that, Android emails has some things that I think everyone wants iOS to do. Like better handling of attachments. And plus there are apps in the Android market that handle email better than the native one. And battery life is no comparison. I'm not Android newbie so I know how to tweak it for better battery life and even with all the tweaks I am recharging it again by 2pm. With the iPhone, under the same usage my battery is rarely lower than 60% by the end of the work day and I usually don't need to charge until I go to bed. The Tbolt battery is comparable to the iphone 3G (and it sucked). So iPhone email and battery life > Thunderbolt and all other Androids at the moment.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-06-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    04-06-2011 12:46 PM
    Well I took the plunge, I am now the proud owner of an iphone 4!! Setting it up as i am typing this. I figure i'll play around with it a bit. That said, I am a tinkering type person, is jailbreaking the next step for me??
    04-06-2011 01:03 PM
    That said, I am a tinkering type person, is jailbreaking the next step for me??
    Jailbreaking is easy and as easy to reverse unlike trying to unroot an Android phone. It all depends on what you want to do. I would suggest hitting up the jailbreaking section on the site as well as doing a google search for "why jailbreak iPhone" and see the reasons why people like to do it. I do it because there are a couple apps that I like that app store doesn't have. But there's customization as will as utilities that allows the phone to use it full capabilities that Apple has disallowed.
    04-06-2011 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD