I have location services turned on for foursquare on my iPhone 4. However, when I check in at work, it shows me as 5 miles away from my location & therefore allows me no points. My question is, is the service going to the nearest tower & using that for my location instead of my actual location. I have also checked where it puts me in maps & it puts me at the same place, 5 miles away from where I really am. Anyone else having this issue or have a solution for this issue?
    04-05-2011 11:02 AM
    It seems like foursquare dos this a lot for me too. I'll be inside starbucks for example, and in order to check in I have to search for it rather than it knowing that's where I am like it should. Even then it still thinks I'm further away from it than I am.
    04-05-2011 05:31 PM
    Most likely it is a bad reported location in foursquare. There is an option to report a location as incorrect.
    04-05-2011 07:39 PM
    I don't believe that it's a Foursquare issue though, because when I look at my location in maps it shows me where foursquare shows me. I think it may just be placing me at the nearest tower instead of my correct location.
    04-07-2011 09:49 AM
    I don't think it's foursquare either, last weekend I was using the app 'yelp' to find a different restaurant in the area and it told me T.G.I. Fridays was a mile away, yet I was standing inside the restaurant.
    04-07-2011 11:19 AM
    It sounds like a lot of your are inside when you have this problem. It's possible that the GPS signal isn't reaching you properly.

I believe if you can't get a GPS signal then I think the phone will try and triangulate your position based off of the towers in the area and that is MUCH less likely to give you a good location.
    04-07-2011 11:29 AM
    That may be. But a week or 2 ago, it was working without any issue. Strange that it would just randomly change.
    04-07-2011 12:07 PM
    The location of your device can be triangulated from cell-towers, Wi-Fi signals, and GPS if your device has one. I typically first see the tower-triangulation until GPS kicks in outdoors or Wi-Fi triangulation figures things out indoors. If I don't have Wi-Fi or GPS enabled then I only get coarse cell-tower location, and sometimes it takes quite a while even if I have Wi-Fi enabled.

You don't need to be connected to a valid Wi-Fi connection to have your location computed from the signals, but your device needs to have the Wi-Fi map of your area already cached if you're not connected on an active data connection.
    04-07-2011 02:10 PM
    ...Damn, technology these days...
    04-07-2011 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD