Got the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 Wifi. Got Wifi only because I have Personal Hotspot active on my iPhone 4 with a sufficient 1.5GB monthly bandwidth from my carrier.

Now, I downloaded this free Utility app called called DropCopy which allows you to wirelessly transfer (via local WiFi) Files between/among iOS and OSX devices.

So I flipped Hotspot on and was able to wirelessly transfer a photo taken with my iPhone 4 (the same one providing the WiFi signal) to my iPad 2!! (Glad I didn't buy the camera kit).

**Now to my question. Does using my iPhone 4 Hotspot for local WiFi file transfers bite in my monthly bandwidth allocation?**

Hope you guys get I mean. I always thought that local WiFi usage such as AirPlay, Home Sharing etc only used my home WiFi signal as a link and not my actual Internet connection and cap provided by my ISP. Am I right?

Thanks for the help provided.
    03-31-2011 03:20 AM
    No, it shouldn't. Only data downloaded from the cellular network counts towards your limit.
    Tekoo likes this.
    03-31-2011 03:43 AM
    Thanks for your reply and you are most likely right.

I tried sending a 40sec video via the same method (it compressed the vid) and it transferred 8.5MB in a blink and my carrier never had and never will be that fast!! Yay, wireless photo transfers for free!!
    03-31-2011 04:25 AM
    Just a side note, If you are looking for an easier way to transfer simple files between the two devices without all the tethering, Dropbox is great for that.
    03-31-2011 01:52 PM
    Thanks I know. I use it for docs and other media. However it will use my bandwidth.
    03-31-2011 02:21 PM
    Thanks I know. I use it for docs and other media. However it will use my bandwidth.
    True, Wasn't thinking.
    03-31-2011 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD