Thank God for Asurion (I hope)

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
so...do you have to file a police report before you make the claim to your insurance when your phone gets stolen? and what are your options? like you can get the iPhone for $199? or you get it for free? can someone explain to me what a "deductible" is?

A deductible is what you have to pay anytime you make a claim. So no, the replacement isn't really free.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
so what are the rates for an iPhone that gets stolen and an iPhone that gets accidentally broken? i pay for the $10 TEC ASURION btw.

I'm not sure, because I will never get insurance though asurion. But I think the deductible with them is around $200 no matter what.

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, because I will never get insurance though asurion. But I think the deductible with them is around $200 no matter what.

so if something does happen...i have to buy a new one again for the same price that i got for($199) when i agreed to a contract? if i do switch to something like square-trade, like the past page someone says that it's only $50 deductible. so that means if something happens i could get a new one for $50?

dejagood

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Asurion's deductible is based on which phone you have. I have the 16GB iPhone4 so the deductible was $169. I think for the 32GB, its $199. Each time a claim is made, whether damage or lost/stolen, its $169(or $199). Squaretrade is of course another option that some have gotten however I elected to just do Asurion since its what I've used for the past several years.

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Asurion's deductible is based on which phone you have. I have the 16GB iPhone4 so the deductible was $169. I think for the 32GB, its $199. Each time a claim is made, whether damage or lost/stolen, its $169(or $199). Squaretrade is of course another option that some have gotten however I elected to just do Asurion since its what I've used for the past several years.

i'll stick with that then. i've been hearing about Asurion being a one time only thing? so if it happens twice(accidents/lost/stolen) in the same year or more...would you still be eligible for a deductible?

dejagood

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
YES! I think they cap it at 3 incidents though but its not likely (for me) to have to use it that often! I've learned my lesson!! I'm getting an Otterbox to protect from any drops in the future. I think most people can say, that after something happens once, you tend to be extra careful. Even if your phone is lost or stolen, I bet you won't put it on the counter at the store anymore?! or leave it in your gym bag...

I'm really not sure about Squaretrade and how many incidents they allow...

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Squaretrade is better in my opinion. $80 to buy the coverage and a $50 deductible when you make a claim. Which all together is cheaper than asurions deductible, not to mention the monthly fee you have to pay for asurion which could make it may more. Also if you plan on jailbreaking, asurion won't cover you.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Squaretrade is better in my opinion. $80 to buy the coverage and a $50 deductible when you make a claim. Which all together is cheaper than asurions deductible, not to mention the monthly fee you have to pay for asurion which could make it may more. Also if you plan on jailbreaking, asurion won't cover you.

Yes squaretrade is nice but I wont cover loss or theft. Just depends how well you want to be covered.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes squaretrade is nice but I wont cover loss or theft. Just depends how well you want to be covered.

That is true, which is why I said in my opinion. Loss and theft coverage never mattered to me. In the 10+ years of owning a cell phone it's never happened, it's always in my pocket. But I have had them break. But yes, this will be different for different people.

dejagood

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Just got my replacement phone!!! BRAND SPANKING NEW!!!

Once again! Thank GOD for Asurion (although I know had this happened later, it wouldn't have been a new phone) Verizon iPhones are still new therefore they don't have any refurbs in the warehouse yet!

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

how would they detect jailbreaking? if i could easily restore the phone?

stewm

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I cancelled my asurion insurance. I had a blown earpiece speaker and went into the verizon store who told me to go to the Apple store because it wasn't their problem.

So I drive 28 miles to the Apple store, the first thing the support software tells the Apple Genius Guy is that they have to refer me to Verizon, he said, well I can't and won't send you back because they sent you here. So he switched the phone under the warranty. During activation there is a message that says that if I activate the iphone it will void my asurion Warranty. So I go ahead.

I went home and phone Verizonwireless and was told that he wasn't sure what would happen but if it says that it voided the warranty switching out the phone then there is a good chance that if there is an issue with the phone then asurion may refuse to replace the phone if the need arose.

So I asked him to cancel the insurance that I am not paying $10.99 a month and then find out if the necessary was there to use it that they were going to deny a claim because I had a warranty replacement of the iphone that I bought from verizon.

The hardest thing in the Apple store was not spending. If I was to be safe knowing that my label printers would work with the Apple system and work right then I would have went on a spending spree.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I am currency on a family plan. So for me the way I see it is I don't need insurance. If the phone breaks it is cheaper to have it fixed. If I lose the phone I will add a line to my account and get a new iPhone. That way then I pay the 10.00 extra a month. Not for the just in case option. However if I was a single line then insurance would be a better idea since adding a second line for a family plan would cost more.

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I cancelled my asurion insurance. I had a blown earpiece speaker and went into the verizon store who told me to go to the Apple store because it wasn't their problem.

So I drive 28 miles to the Apple store, the first thing the support software tells the Apple Genius Guy is that they have to refer me to Verizon, he said, well I can't and won't send you back because they sent you here. So he switched the phone under the warranty. During activation there is a message that says that if I activate the iphone it will void my asurion Warranty. So I go ahead.

I went home and phone Verizonwireless and was told that he wasn't sure what would happen but if it says that it voided the warranty switching out the phone then there is a good chance that if there is an issue with the phone then asurion may refuse to replace the phone if the need arose.

So I asked him to cancel the insurance that I am not paying $10.99 a month and then find out if the necessary was there to use it that they were going to deny a claim because I had a warranty replacement of the iphone that I bought from verizon.

The hardest thing in the Apple store was not spending. If I was to be safe knowing that my label printers would work with the Apple system and work right then I would have went on a spending spree.

so who do you really go to when stuff like this happen? isn't asurion under verizon? why can't verizon just handle the claim/place the claim? that's weird...

stewm

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh and I couldn't understand their thinking at the store. They refused point blank to deal with the Iphone there even though I was insured by them.

In fact I am serious considering paying the early termination and switching networks. This wasn't the first time Verizon staff have been rude and unhelpful.

When I my late Dad lost his phone we went in to purchase another one and was told that we cannot pay full price for a phone from them that we have to phone them up and do it. So we went home and contacted verizon wireless and placed the order and was told that it was a lie that the store is there to sell phones and support the customer but every time they are obstructive.

After my parents both past away I went in to cancel their contract and because the death certificates were not available at the time the guy behind the counter asked for proof and I asked what type of proof and the reply was "Well your mom has to be HERE IN PERSON since it was in her name!" which was upsetting to say the least. I said, "She's Dead! What do you want me to do? Roll her in on a gurney?:. His reply was "I don't care what you do as long as you get her here in person!".

That guy is no longer working at the store. I phoned up customer support and they cancelled the accounts and couldn't apologise enough.

I vowed then that I would dump verizon wireless and then what do I do, hang on until the iphone is launched on VZW.

Now I regret doing it and should have switched carrier.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro