Thank God for Asurion (I hope)

dejagood

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well my iphone4 took the ultimate tumble this morning as I was getting my daughter off to school, right down the concrete steps..OUCH! I love my Casemate Barely there case but it did nothing for this type drop! I just about cried....well I started a claim with Asurion, gotta wait until tomorrow (or midnight tonight) cause I don't get paid until then to pay the $169 deductible. I spoke with the rep there and she said, there's a good chance I'd get a new phone since the VZW iphone is so new...anyone have to do a claim with them yet and got a refurbished phone? new phone? I guess either would work since they warranty it for a year...but was just wondering!

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well my iphone4 took the ultimate tumble this morning as I was getting my daughter off to school, right down the concrete steps..OUCH! I love my Casemate Barely there case but it did nothing for this type drop! I just about cried....well I started a claim with Asurion, gotta wait until tomorrow (or midnight tonight) cause I don't get paid until then to pay the $169 deductible. I spoke with the rep there and she said, there's a good chance I'd get a new phone since the VZW iphone is so new...anyone have to do a claim with them yet and got a refurbished phone? new phone? I guess either would work since they warranty it for a year...but was just wondering!

I'm betting that you will be getting a new one. I can't see that they have many used ones in the system yet. Even though if it is a refurb I'm sure it will be just like a new one and you will still have coverage if anything would be wrong with it. I would say you are good. I have gotten refurbs in the past and never had many problems with them at all. :)

andrewu750

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I actually had to file a claim with them already and got a brand new phone sealed in the box. Hope it never happens again but was glad I ha the insurance

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Or you could have simply went to apple store and paid 199 for repair. Unless you're worried about losing it or it getting demolished into pieces, you don't need insurance. It's a waste of money.

dejagood

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm okay with the refurbished one but it sure would be nice if its a new one...

@andrewu750, that's cool! great to know!!! I'm praying...

@cardfan, I don't have an Apple Store in my area, nearest one is 2 hours away, I'd rather pay $169 then to have to drive 2 hours and have to fill up my SUV with gas...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm okay with the refurbished one but it sure would be nice if its a new one...

@andrewu750, that's cool! great to know!!! I'm praying...

@cardfan, I don't have an Apple Store in my area, nearest one is 2 hours away, I'd rather pay $169 then to have to drive 2 hours and have to fill up my SUV with gas...

Insurance is always good. Will cover for loss or theft too. You cant go in to Apple and pay $199 for a recovery of a lost phone

dejagood

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep! I've never had a phone without insurance because I know I'm superclumsy! Even though it costs a little more this time, its so worth it! Had I not had insurance, I would have had to cough up $650 for a phone, NOT!

I know someone that didn't have the insurance and someone stole their phone...oops! He hasn't replaced it yet because he's having to pay for a phone at full retail and not many people have $650 laying around to put on a phone...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Or you could have simply went to apple store and paid 199 for repair. Unless you're worried about losing it or it getting demolished into pieces, you don't need insurance. It's a waste of money.

Insurance is always for the "what if". It may end up being a waste of money. Maybe not. It wont be a waste for all people. I did lose my BB 9700 a year ago. First time I ever bought insurance and so glad I did.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Insurance is always good. Will cover for loss or theft too. You cant go in to Apple and pay $199 for a recovery of a lost phone

I can't see how someone can make this claim "insurance is always good". I disagree with that simply because I refuse to insurance something trivial as a cell phone. I don't know about you, but spending $10 a month ($240 for 2 years) on insurance for a cell phone is pretty over-the-top splurging. Given my situation, if I break the glass on my phone I'll pony up $200 to get it fixed via Apple. If I lose or completely FUBAR my phone, then I'll revert back to my old BB Curve.

Insurance on your house, car, life good because loss/destruction of one can put you in financial ruin. Destruction/loss of a cell phone is not going to put you in financial ruin. If it is, then you shouldn't be owning a smartphone and costly data plan in the first place.

jayhawkfan18

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was told by the Verizon rep when I bought my iPhone 4 that they will ONLY give you a brand new replacement, not a refurb. But we all know that not every rep for big red knows what they are talking about.. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I can't see how someone can make this claim "insurance is always good". I disagree with that simply because I refuse to insurance something trivial as a cell phone. I don't know about you, but spending $10 a month ($240 for 2 years) on insurance for a cell phone is pretty over-the-top splurging. Given my situation, if I break the glass on my phone I'll pony up $200 to get it fixed via Apple. If I lose or completely FUBAR my phone, then I'll revert back to my old BB Curve.

Insurance on your house, car, life good because loss/destruction of one can put you in financial ruin. Destruction/loss of a cell phone is not going to put you in financial ruin. If it is, then you shouldn't be owning a smartphone and costly data plan in the first place.

As my post just a couple above stated, its for the "what if". My 32GB has a retail price of $750. I've lost my 9700 before and insurance paid off. $10 a month doesnt kill me. If it did, I shouldnt own a iPhone the way I look at it. Its 33 cents a day. Thats chump change if you ask me. if I break lose my phone, I dont want to go buy a old used Curve for $100. Thats just my preference. To each their own

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I can say this, for those of us who paid retail for the device $800 or so spending $9.95 a month for insurance is a good thing! If I lose my device I don't have the $800 dollars to by another and never in a million years am I going back to my Blackberry or Andriod phone. :)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I've never lost a 700 dollar device before. I figure if i'm dumb enough to do so, i'll buy a used one and learn a quick lesson. Other than that, apple covers me.

Insurance is a waste given how good apple is on repairs & exchanges.

Reactions: bmidd#IM

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've never lost a 700 dollar device before. I figure if i'm dumb enough to do so, i'll buy a used one and learn a quick lesson. Other than that, apple covers me.

Calling people dumb for losing a phone is a little harsh. Nobody is perfect in this world. Nobody ;) isht happens

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Apple does not fix a lost or STOLEN device! Insurance covers that.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Insurance is good if you can afford it. I for one will not pay the high monthly cost for iPhone insurance. Shoot, I'm already trying to figure out ways to knock a few bucks off my bill. But that's just me. So what does it mean to not have insurance? It means I just have to be less careless with my device. Like I can't see how someone has a phone that retails for over 600 and just leave it laying around for it to get stolen. Now of course some things can happen for the most part, I just can't see it. Even at work, if I am leaving a arm's length from my desk, I'm grabbing my phone. No questions about it. But of course things do happen and it's unfortunate and for those that don't mind paying for it, that's great. But me, I don't mind not having insurance. Of course it's high risk high reward and I'm willing to deal with that.

I don't see why people even have to defend their choice of having of declining insurance. It's a phone and some want to make sure their possession is covered if something happens and others aren't as concerned. Don't see anything wrong with that. I don't like paying car, home, health, life and pet insurance so I'm definitely not going to pay on a phone. But that's just me. And for those that find the value and actually needed the insurance, then no need to defend your decision.

Last edited:

nano2909

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
for those who dont want to pay the 10 or 11 bucks for the asurion insurance can get insurance from either squaretrade.com or worthavegroup.com... i personally got worth ave group cuz it covers every single thing that could go wrong with the phone from accident related or lost/stolen. Plus its only a $50 deductible not $199 like asurion

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Poor word choice. Careless. Unlucky. Sorry..no offense.

Yes much better :). I was just unlucky. I was using a seidio innocase II combo and somehow my phone popped out of the holster. Didnt notice until after it was too late. I baby my phones but was just unlucky. Now, I wont use a holsters anymore. I have been having better luck with belt pouches

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
so...do you have to file a police report before you make the claim to your insurance when your phone gets stolen? and what are your options? like you can get the iPhone for $199? or you get it for free? can someone explain to me what a "deductible" is?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro