iPhone 4 EDGE Question

jlmachado

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I just bought an iPhone 4 coming from a bb torch
I turned off 3G data to save some battery but on EDGE i keep on missing calls this is a major downside because i have been testing other phones and whenever youre browsing the web on EDGE the phone call always gets through it stops the data connection and then it rings but with the iphone i keep on getting missed calls is there a setting wether on the iphone settings or more advanced ones in plis editing or an application in cydia that sets incoming phone calls with the highest priority, or im stuck with having to turn 3G back on if i want to use the iPhone as a phone also

I did search in the forums but couldn't find anything related to my question

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You must be on 3G to make calls and use data. The battery life is so good on 3G, you dont need to turn 3G off. You may save like 5% which is nothing

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
If I am using Data on EDGE on my iPhones, and call comes through it always goes to voicemail. Thought that was how it's supposed to be on AT&T since my Treo 750 did the same thing. That was the last non iPhone that I had.

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You must be on 3G to make calls and use data. The battery life is so good on 3G, you dont need to turn 3G off. You may save like 5% which is nothing

Actually it uses a lot more than 5%, not to mention with little use your iphone will heat up, reducing:
1) your battery's life in the long run
2) running down your battery's charge faster for the current charge.

Not to mention just to MAINTAIN a 3G connection, it uses more energy, then again to transmit uses even more, and if its constant transmitting then you're going to die! lol. I get about 6 hours of use out of my iphone 4 on 3g and about 9-10 on EDGE. That's a huge difference. I've had an iphone for many months, too, so i've done this test multiple times.

To answer your question, if your in the middle of a data transmission, it probably won't cut it off. That's why your phone calls aren't coming through. I had this happen all the time on my BB. As packets were more tightly compressed over the BB, phone calls came in a lot more frequently, where as if you're chatting or browsing on the iphone off 3g and wifi, and the packets aren't compressed very well, data transmission lasts longer and cutting you off your carriers voice network. Lame, right? Oh well. Viva the iPhone!

Reactions: jlmachado

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
thanks zkyevolved i guess ill stay with the 3G on and a charger close by

May I suggest getting a battery case? Or a spare battery charger? I carry in my backpack a mili battery, cost me 20 or 25 euros shipped, 2000 mah battery. I also used the mophie juice pack, awesome, but I hear the exogear is much better. Depending if you want to keep your form factor ultra slim or not. Regardless, I'd rather carry around the mili :)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Actually it uses a lot more than 5%, not to mention with little use your iphone will heat up, reducing:
1) your battery's life in the long run
2) running down your battery's charge faster for the current charge.

Not to mention just to MAINTAIN a 3G connection, it uses more energy, then again to transmit uses even more, and if its constant transmitting then you're going to die! lol. I get about 6 hours of use out of my iphone 4 on 3g and about 9-10 on EDGE. That's a huge difference. I've had an iphone for many months, too, so i've done this test multiple times.

To answer your question, if your in the middle of a data transmission, it probably won't cut it off. That's why your phone calls aren't coming through. I had this happen all the time on my BB. As packets were more tightly compressed over the BB, phone calls came in a lot more frequently, where as if you're chatting or browsing on the iphone off 3g and wifi, and the packets aren't compressed very well, data transmission lasts longer and cutting you off your carriers voice network. Lame, right? Oh well. Viva the iPhone!

I get longer life browsing on 3G over borwsing on EDGE. Browsing on EDGE, the iPhone is just working to hard. If I leave on 3G(which I always do) overnight, I may lose 1% on my battery in 8 hours of standby. The only time I notice where EDGE is better is on long phone calls.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I get longer life browsing on 3G over borwsing on EDGE. Browsing on EDGE, the iPhone is just working to hard. If I leave on 3G(which I always do) overnight, I may lose 1% on my battery in 8 hours of standby. The only time I notice where EDGE is better is on long phone calls.

Probably because of the slower speed, its transmitting and receiving data for a longer period of time, therefore using more battery?

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Wow, consider yourself lucky. I've had a couple of iphone 4s now, but I guess since they've always had my apps and configurations, I've had the same. I lose about 8% battery life on 3g in 6 hours over night. Maybe because I get a lot of data coming in (emails, IMs, SMS, facebook, push notifications, activesync, etc).

From a engineering standpoint, EDGE uses LESS power to keep active and in standby than 3G by about a third. Just by checking an engineering menu (now idea how on an iphone) you can change it instead of bars to the numbers, and you'd see.

Regardless, if it works for you :) great. It doesn't for me, and every other person I know. Everyone I know takes of 3G because of the constant IM and emails, it eats up a lot more battery power to keep an active 3g signal + receiving and sending small tiny bits, eats up the battery like crazy.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow, consider yourself lucky. I've had a couple of iphone 4s now, but I guess since they've always had my apps and configurations, I've had the same. I lose about 8% battery life on 3g in 6 hours over night. Maybe because I get a lot of data coming in (emails, IMs, SMS, facebook, push notifications, activesync, etc).

From a engineering standpoint, EDGE uses LESS power to keep active and in standby than 3G by about a third. Just by checking an engineering menu (now idea how on an iphone) you can change it instead of bars to the numbers, and you'd see.

Regardless, if it works for you :) great. It doesn't for me, and every other person I know. Everyone I know takes of 3G because of the constant IM and emails, it eats up a lot more battery power to keep an active 3g signal + receiving and sending small tiny bits, eats up the battery like crazy.

2 things that why you may be losing 8% overnight. 1) maybe your network is effecting the battery more? not sure if thats possible but could be since I never lose more than 1% overnight on 3G. 2) do you leave wifi on overnight? If I do, I will lose 6-8% overnight.

My 3G speeds are 5+ Mbps so everything loads right up. On EDGE, I get less than 1 Mbps. Thus, things take much longer to load and why I believe it effects my battery. The only part I know for sure is the wifi part because I have seen the difference. Everything else I say may be all wrong but I just my thinking of why.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
2 things that why you may be losing 8% overnight. 1) maybe your network is effecting the battery more? not sure if thats possible but could be since I never lose more than 1% overnight on 3G. 2) do you leave wifi on overnight? If I do, I will lose 6-8% overnight.

My 3G speeds are 5+ Mbps so everything loads right up. On EDGE, I get less than 1 Mbps. Thus, things take much longer to load and why I believe it effects my battery. The only part I know for sure is the wifi part because I have seen the difference. Everything else I say may be all wrong but I just my thinking of why.

That's weird, doesn't wifi disconnect/shut off when you put it in sleep mode?

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty sure I lose more than 8% overnight...how do you guys have such great battery life? :confused: I'm not really complaining as I charge it every night, but I'm just curious.

Oops, I'm hijacking this thread...sorry. :eek:

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I wake up with a ton of emails ims messages and push notifications. That's why I go down :) and not to mention activesync keeps an active connection that also takes up data when the phone is off. I don't mind. I'm never more than 8 hours without a charger. :) plus when I get to about 50% I charge. I hate the idea of actually needing my phone for something important and it being dead. Lol.

That's also another valid point. The more data on slower speeds while it might be more battery efficient it takes longer and longer bursts mean more transmitting time. 3G or wifi means better speeds and less time transmitting

-Sent from my iPhone 4

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
May I suggest getting a battery case? Or a spare battery charger? I carry in my backpack a mili battery, cost me 20 or 25 euros shipped, 2000 mah battery. I also used the mophie juice pack, awesome, but I hear the exogear is much better. Depending if you want to keep your form factor ultra slim or not. Regardless, I'd rather carry around the mili :)

I just got a Griffin Powerduo Reserve for my new iPhone4 and love it. It has a small battery and comes with a car and wall charger. The battery is small enough to carry in your pocket. I would recommend to everyone. It gives your phone a 35 to 40% boost. BTW I just ordered one for my wife's iPhone. She is hard to impress and after trying it out she said "Where is mine?". LOL

zkyevolved

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Griffin Powerduo Reserve for my new iPhone4 and love it. It has a small battery and comes with a car and wall charger. The battery is small enough to carry in your pocket. I would recommend to everyone. It gives your phone a 35 to 40% boost. BTW I just ordered one for my wife's iPhone. She is hard to impress and after trying it out she said "Where is mine?". LOL

Lol! Women :p

-Sent from my iPhone 4

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2