GSM faceplate/backplate on CDMA version

illini_aw

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Looks good, can you take some pictures with your phone with the flash. From what I read, sometimes the camera gets partially covered since it becomes misaligned and causes the tops of the photo's to be blocked/blurred. Also, did you get the "diamond cut" version, still trying to figure out what that means exactly.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Looks good, can you take some pictures with your phone with the flash. From what I read, sometimes the camera gets partially covered since it becomes misaligned and causes the tops of the photo's to be blocked/blurred. Also, did you get the "diamond cut" version, still trying to figure out what that means exactly.

So far, haven't noticed any issues with taking photos. I think you probably can only tell if you had the pics side by side. I'm still planning on installing the diffuser just to get as close to stock as possible.

I got the gunmetal one. "Diamond cut" refers to the shiny edge near the bezel rather than having a bevelled bezel. Forgot to mention that I do have the back screen protector installed, too.

I should emphasize that the metal back makes the phone substantially heavier. My wife and couple of my friends thought the phone became way too heavy with it installed. Also, I think it "might" (not sure, could just be me being paranoid about it) be causing a slight decrease in reception and less sensitivity in my touchscreen. Still like having the peace of mind that it is one less thing to break. However, I wonder if the heavier weight makes it more prone to breaking other parts if dropped.

Last edited:
Reactions: illini_aw

cevmkv

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
i installed my metal back for the CDMA iphone and rebooted...i immediately noticed a drop in signal i went from an average 3-4 bars in my office to 1-2...i put the OEM glass back on and it was back to 3-4...needless to say im not going to be using the metal back...

if someone else wants it ill sell it 10.00 shipped.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
i installed my metal back for the CDMA iphone and rebooted...i immediately noticed a drop in signal i went from an average 3-4 bars in my office to 1-2...i put the OEM glass back on and it was back to 3-4...needless to say im not going to be using the metal back...

if someone else wants it ill sell it 10.00 shipped.

Thought this might be happening, too. I guess since you thought so, too, must be true! However, I might know someone interested in your metal back, but I'll handle the transaction (Paypal from me and mail to me.). PM me for info.

G323q569

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
This might be a silly question but does the gunmetal match the sides on the iPhone or do you think the silver would match better?

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Thought this might be happening, too. I guess since you thought so, too, must be true! However, I might know someone interested in your metal back, but I'll handle the transaction (Paypal from me and mail to me.). PM me for info.

has the call quality been affected at all or is it just some dropped signal strenght?

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
has the call quality been affected at all or is it just some dropped signal strenght?

Think the reason thought possible reception decrease was due to some recent thunder storms and VZ with the recent release of 4.2.8. VZ reps usually deny this, but I think VZ usually run tests on their system before releasing new OS's. This was the case with my Storm.

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Think the reason thought possible reception decrease was due to some recent thunder storms and VZ with the recent release of 4.2.8. VZ reps usually deny this, but I think VZ usually run tests on their system before releasing new OS's. This was the case with my Storm.

Oh the dreaded storm, I am so glad I got rid of that thing, although it served me well until it hit the one year mark. I dont know why blackberries seem to only have a shelf life of one year, but my storm 1, my fiance's storm 2, and our parents bb all started crapping out after the 1 year mark.

Well I constantly get full bars here in san diego so I guess ill just have to wait and see what effect the metal backing will have.

cevmkv

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
well with me it was instant...glass back 3-4 bars 30 seconds later with the metal back 1-2 bars, then put the glass back on boom 3-4 bars. that was pretty clear cut for me.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: After a week of use and additional testing, found no change in reception switched back and forth between OEM and metal back in different places. No noticeable loss of reception.

Compared pics and noticed no affect when adequate light available. If the picture subject is near in dim to dark light, some slight flash bleed and grainy pic. If subject further away, pic gets worse. Results were worsened when the diffuser was added. OEM back results in way better photos in dim light and total darkness.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
CORRECTION: After testing photos with both backplates further, I found out that the real problem with the vignetting was actually due to my AGF case and improper installation. Figured this out because when my phone was in my Commuter case, no problems with vignetting. Noticed that the openings for the Commuter were larger for both the camera lens and flash (substantially larger for the flash). Also, the Commuter has a felt lining around the openings to prevent light from leaking into the lens portion. These small differences definitely make a difference in preventing vignetting so great job on the behalf of Otterbox. They apparently did their research. Could probably modify the AGF case to work properly, but not really wanting to mod it.

In regards to the improper installation, there is foam surrounding the flash inside the iPhone. This foam is there to prevent light from bleeding into the lens side. If you aren't careful while installing the backplate, you can misalign this foam which then results in vignetting with both the original backplate and metal backplate.

Did all this testing after removing the diffuser as the diffuser was a culprit too because it causes a lot of light to reflect back into the phone. My conclusion is that these aftermarket backplates are good if you want to be different or want the added protection. Haven't noticed a decrease in reception and pics come out close to the original backplate.

Weighed my phone with the metal back which was 5.6 oz compared to 5.0 oz with the original back.

Last edited:

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The beveled back got posted on cnn.cn today. I just placed my order. Hopefully will have it soon though 7-10 day shipping time from HK so I'm not holding my breath haha

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I picked up the diamond cut case from a member here and it's cool looking BUT as he had said, it weighs a ton! So I installed an invisible shield on and carried it for a day. I didn't end up liking the extra weight. So after a single day it came off again. Anyone want it ha ha ha!

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I must not be able to tell weight cause it did not feel that heavy to me. The problem I had was with those stupid pentalobe screws. They got about half way with the new back and then stopped, i didnt want to strip the heads so I ordered some replacement philips (much better design imo) and will install then. Didn't have it on long enough to notice any signal or quality drop. although while i had it on I was at 5 bars.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
If you feel just the glass back vs the metal, it is night and day for me. I didn't strip the pentalobe screws but I did a little. So I ordered replacement ones online that I'll use once they come on.

My metal back seem almost heavier than the entire phone.

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If you feel just the glass back vs the metal, it is night and day for me. I didn't strip the pentalobe screws but I did a little. So I ordered replacement ones online that I'll use once they come on.

My metal back seem almost heavier than the entire phone.

Guess i am just a bad judge of weight. I hope these replacement screws dont take to long to come in cause i really do like the look of the metal back.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just edited my update post. The weight difference is 0.6 oz with the metal back. That's about a 10% increase in weight since I measured 5.0 oz with the original back installed.

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok had the back cover on now or a few hours I see what you guys were saying about signal I am down to three bars instead of my normal 5 haven't had any phone calls to see if quality is effect or if I start dropping calls. I guess that will be the deciding factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2