GSM faceplate/backplate on CDMA version

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
^^ I saw those the other day. Truesupplier also has some backs for the CDMA version. Nothing I really like yet from either site so I'm gonna wait a bit longer

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a black and silver metal backs (one each, not two colors) that are supposed to fit the Verizon (labeled CDMA on the site) from cnn.cn. I'll let you know how it works out.

Nice find! I ordered a gunmetal one myself, yesterday. I was surprised it came out so quickly. Just too bad not too much selection, though.

Last edited:

illini_aw

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
looking forward to an update on the silver backs. Please include some pics, I wasn't sure what they meant by diamond cut and if it's beveled or not.

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
^^ I don't think the metal backs are beveled. There are specific beveled backs for avail for the gsm iphone4 so we'll prob see them soon. At least I hope we do haha

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Def post pics when you get them. I'm thinking about ordering a back too. No one really carries any other style backs yet and I'm not going to do a white swap since the white one is suppose to drop next week

wxman2003

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
ifixit and directfix.com sell the back glass plate for the verizon iphone. Currently out of stock though or maybe they never had it.

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait to see some pics does it come with the screw driver or did you have to order that also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I think you have to order the screwdriver. Depends on the site. Some package one with the backs while others don't

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting as well but for the beveled backplates. I had some leftover 3m di-noc from a project so I just wrapped my phone with it to hold me over for a while haha

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Got my gunmetal metal backplate in. Quality & fitment are excellent. Compared to the OEM backplate, this metal one from CNN seems much stronger. However, it does have a couple downsides. It feels about three times heavier than the original, you will need to buy the flash diffuser & install it, and the screw holes in the metal tabs felt like they weren't threaded good. Still happy with it especially to have the peace of mind of one less fragile part to worry about.

bfa475a6.jpg

d36de608.jpg

Reactions: illini_aw

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Got my gunmetal metal backplate in. Quality & fitment are excellent. Compared to the OEM backplate, this metal one from CNN seems much stronger. However, it does have a couple downsides. It feels about three times heavier than the original, you will need to buy the flash diffuser & install it, and the screw holes in the metal tabs felt like they weren't threaded good. Still happy with it especially to have the peace of mind of one less fragile part to worry about.

bfa475a6.jpg

d36de608.jpg

Did you have to buy the screw driver or did it come with it? Did you reuse the stock screws? Why is the flash diffuser necessary, I thought it said the camera and flash lens were already installed?

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Did you have to buy the screw driver or did it come with it? Did you reuse the stock screws? Why is the flash diffuser necessary, I thought it said the camera and flash lens were already installed?

It doesn't come with the special pentanub screw driver (I already had one.). Since this didn't come with replacement screws, I did reuse the stock screws. The camera and flash lenses are installed on the metal back plate, but if you look closely at my pics, the flash side doesn't have the flash diffuser like the OEM back plate does. Others have reported some slight decrease in the quality of the pics due to the lack of the flash diffuser. The OEM one has it glued in so if you want your flash to work just like it did with the stock back plate, I would buy the diffuser and glue it in. Waiting for mine to arrive as I didn't realize this until I looked good at the pics online.

Last edited:
Reactions: estorm09

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't come with the special mini torx screw driver (I already had one.). Since this didn't come with replacement screws, I did reuse the stock screws. The camera and flash lenses are installed on the metal back plate, but if you look closely at my pics, the flash side doesn't have the flash diffuser like the OEM back plate does. Others have reported some slight decrease in the quality of the pics due to the lack of the flash diffuser. The OEM one has it glued in so if you want your flash to work just like it did with the stock back plate, I would buy the diffuser and glue it in. Waiting for mine to arrive as I didn't realize this until I looked good at the pics online.

Sounds good. Love to see some pics of it installed. Also what type of glue are you going to use? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i got all my i's dotted and t's cross before I do this myself

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good. Love to see some pics of it installed. Also what type of glue are you going to use? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i got all my i's dotted and t's cross before I do this myself

Sorry about the mediocre pics. Using my wife's iPhone to take then and e-mail to me. Too lazy to turn the computer on and upload them from a digital camera.

Avoid using super glue because it will constantly be active, leaves a white residue, & might damage the internals of your iPhone. I will be using cyanoacrylate glue which you should be able to find at a local hobby shop. I usually used this glue for gluing the tires to the rims of my radio controlled car. It dries clear.

8fe19e23.jpg