GSM faceplate/backplate on CDMA version

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
So I've been looking into getting a CDMA iphone and I want to change the faceplate and backplate. I did a few searches but I couldn't find the right combo of keywords to bring up any results. As far as I can tell though, I think that the faceplate and backplates are exchangable on the the GSM and CDMA phones but I would like to get a definitive answer before I go out to buy the parts and the phone.

I'm wondering if anyone has done a swap already or has compared the pieces to see if the parts are interchangeable. If not then I'll probably be a guiena pig and order the parts when I order my iphone. Would be nice though to know ahead of time its going to work haha

Thanks!

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Well the size should be the same, the difference would be the location of the volume and mute buttons on the side.

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
^^ Yeah I realize that but I don't plan on replacing the mid plate. Only the face and battery cover. I don't think the locations of the mounting points for those differ between models. I guess that would bring up another possible issue though >_<

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Does this void the warranty? Can they tell you changed them (assuming you change them back before bringing it in)?

I am also interested in changing the backplate and would be interested in your results.

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure it will void warranty since I'd have to take apart the whole phone to get to the frontplate/LCD screen. Not sure if they could tell without opening up the phone (assuming there are no marks on the exterior suggesting it was taken apart) so you might be able to go in for a warranty issue. It would probably be up the chance though.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
No. They are not interchangeable. Mounting tabs are different in the display assembly and the back cover has slightly different tabs as well.

Last edited:

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
^^ Have you tried it? Or can you link me to somewhere that says that they're different? I just would like some background as to how you go to your conclusion. :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
First, why? What's the point?

Second, there are model/reference numbers on the back... do they differ between GSM and CDMA versions? I'm guessing they do, but I only have a GSM iPhone4 with me, so I can't check...

Mine says:

Model A1332 EMC 380A FCCID: BCG-E2380A IC: 579C-E2380A

Last edited:

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
^^ Why? Because I can and I like to mess with my phone.

I don't have access to either phones at the moment since I haven't order it yet. Which is why I turned to the forums because I was hoping you could help me out.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Anyone who knows where to find a verizon iPhone teardown on google can tell you the same thing. Perhaps if it was the first thing you searched before you opened this thread, you wouldn't have had to start it.

But by all means, procure the parts and let me know how it goes when you get them.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
^^ Why? Because I can and I like to mess with my phone.

I don't have access to either phones at the moment since I haven't order it yet. Which is why I turned to the forums because I was hoping you could help me out.

Well, then... knock yourself out... but again, I don't see the point or the need... but whatever floats your boat :)

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I looked at a few teardowns. To me, there wasn't enough info given to conclude that they would or would not be compatible.

edit: @hank- yeah most people don't but its kinda fun to have a phone that's different from everyone elses. I also mod cars so maybe its transferred from that haha

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I looked at a few teardowns. To me, there wasn't enough info given to conclude that they would or would not be compatible.

I guess you didn't look hard enough. One very popular site that many on here may refer to when looking for parts or tools to do some ifixit stuff clearly said it wasn't compatible.

cp9102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
^^ Have you tried it? Or can you link me to somewhere that says that they're different? I just would like some background as to how you go to your conclusion. :)

I HAVE TRIED it and the back plates ARE NOT the same. As of now, and trust me i've searched the web endlessly, there are NO back plates for the CDMA/Verizon iphone. If you try and use a GSM back plate on a Verizon phone it WILL NOT FIT.

I bought a brushed metal back plate off the internet prior to getting my Verizon iphone and when it arrived i took the factory back plate off and attempted to put on the new metal one, and NO LUCK. As stated by another poster, the attachment tabs that secure the back plates to the phone are in different locations on the Verizon phone.

If you're still skeptical, try it yourself, but it ain't gonna work.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Ghostface is correct. If you want proof, go here and scroll down to step 7 which states this "The back covers are very similar, but not interchangeable."

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, guys! This is some of the info I wanted to confirm as well! Wanted to change to a metal back, too, but I guess I'll have to wait or it might not come out at all. At least, I won't waste money on something that won't fit!

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered a black and silver metal backs (one each, not two colors) that are supposed to fit the Verizon (labeled CDMA on the site) from cnn.cn. I'll let you know how it works out.

Reactions: wrxnfx