Anyone get one in yet? I'm curious to hear if they work. I would consider buying a metal back for my Verizon iPhone.
    04-23-2011 10:29 AM
    I'm still waiting for mine. Shipping was supposed to be a week so am expecting them in this week - fingers crossed!
    04-23-2011 08:11 PM
    I'm still waiting for mine. Shipping was supposed to be a week so am expecting them in this week - fingers crossed!
    Same here.
    04-23-2011 09:32 PM
    Def post pics when you get them. I'm thinking about ordering a back too. No one really carries any other style backs yet and I'm not going to do a white swap since the white one is suppose to drop next week
    04-24-2011 01:27 AM
    ifixit and directfix.com sell the back glass plate for the verizon iphone. Currently out of stock though or maybe they never had it.
    04-24-2011 08:49 AM
    Can't wait to see some pics does it come with the screw driver or did you have to order that also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-27-2011 01:10 PM
    I think you have to order the screwdriver. Depends on the site. Some package one with the backs while others don't
    04-28-2011 07:46 PM
    I'm probably gonna wait until people get pictures up, as I'm on the fence about which color I want.
    04-30-2011 01:00 AM
    I'm waiting as well but for the beveled backplates. I had some leftover 3m di-noc from a project so I just wrapped my phone with it to hold me over for a while haha
    04-30-2011 01:12 AM
    Got my gunmetal metal backplate in. Quality & fitment are excellent. Compared to the OEM backplate, this metal one from CNN seems much stronger. However, it does have a couple downsides. It feels about three times heavier than the original, you will need to buy the flash diffuser & install it, and the screw holes in the metal tabs felt like they weren't threaded good. Still happy with it especially to have the peace of mind of one less fragile part to worry about.

illini_aw likes this.
    04-30-2011 09:34 PM
    Looks pretty good. Hoping they get some beveled ones in stock soon.
    04-30-2011 09:48 PM
    Got my gunmetal metal backplate in. Quality & fitment are excellent. Compared to the OEM backplate, this metal one from CNN seems much stronger. However, it does have a couple downsides. It feels about three times heavier than the original, you will need to buy the flash diffuser & install it, and the screw holes in the metal tabs felt like they weren't threaded good. Still happy with it especially to have the peace of mind of one less fragile part to worry about.

Did you have to buy the screw driver or did it come with it? Did you reuse the stock screws? Why is the flash diffuser necessary, I thought it said the camera and flash lens were already installed?
    05-01-2011 01:46 AM
    Did you have to buy the screw driver or did it come with it? Did you reuse the stock screws? Why is the flash diffuser necessary, I thought it said the camera and flash lens were already installed?
    It doesn't come with the special pentanub screw driver (I already had one.). Since this didn't come with replacement screws, I did reuse the stock screws. The camera and flash lenses are installed on the metal back plate, but if you look closely at my pics, the flash side doesn't have the flash diffuser like the OEM back plate does. Others have reported some slight decrease in the quality of the pics due to the lack of the flash diffuser. The OEM one has it glued in so if you want your flash to work just like it did with the stock back plate, I would buy the diffuser and glue it in. Waiting for mine to arrive as I didn't realize this until I looked good at the pics online.
    Last edited by wrxnfx; 05-02-2011 at 02:47 AM.
    estorm09 likes this.
    05-01-2011 03:16 AM
    It doesn't come with the special mini torx screw driver (I already had one.). Since this didn't come with replacement screws, I did reuse the stock screws. The camera and flash lenses are installed on the metal back plate, but if you look closely at my pics, the flash side doesn't have the flash diffuser like the OEM back plate does. Others have reported some slight decrease in the quality of the pics due to the lack of the flash diffuser. The OEM one has it glued in so if you want your flash to work just like it did with the stock back plate, I would buy the diffuser and glue it in. Waiting for mine to arrive as I didn't realize this until I looked good at the pics online.
    Sounds good. Love to see some pics of it installed. Also what type of glue are you going to use? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i got all my i's dotted and t's cross before I do this myself
    05-01-2011 04:18 AM
    Sounds good. Love to see some pics of it installed. Also what type of glue are you going to use? Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i got all my i's dotted and t's cross before I do this myself
    Sorry about the mediocre pics. Using my wife's iPhone to take then and e-mail to me. Too lazy to turn the computer on and upload them from a digital camera.

Avoid using super glue because it will constantly be active, leaves a white residue, & might damage the internals of your iPhone. I will be using cyanoacrylate glue which you should be able to find at a local hobby shop. I usually used this glue for gluing the tires to the rims of my radio controlled car. It dries clear.

05-01-2011 02:21 PM
    Looks good, can you take some pictures with your phone with the flash. From what I read, sometimes the camera gets partially covered since it becomes misaligned and causes the tops of the photo's to be blocked/blurred. Also, did you get the "diamond cut" version, still trying to figure out what that means exactly.
    05-01-2011 09:59 PM
    Looks good, can you take some pictures with your phone with the flash. From what I read, sometimes the camera gets partially covered since it becomes misaligned and causes the tops of the photo's to be blocked/blurred. Also, did you get the "diamond cut" version, still trying to figure out what that means exactly.
    So far, haven't noticed any issues with taking photos. I think you probably can only tell if you had the pics side by side. I'm still planning on installing the diffuser just to get as close to stock as possible.

I got the gunmetal one. "Diamond cut" refers to the shiny edge near the bezel rather than having a bevelled bezel. Forgot to mention that I do have the back screen protector installed, too.

I should emphasize that the metal back makes the phone substantially heavier. My wife and couple of my friends thought the phone became way too heavy with it installed. Also, I think it "might" (not sure, could just be me being paranoid about it) be causing a slight decrease in reception and less sensitivity in my touchscreen. Still like having the peace of mind that it is one less thing to break. However, I wonder if the heavier weight makes it more prone to breaking other parts if dropped.
    Last edited by wrxnfx; 05-03-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    illini_aw likes this.
    05-02-2011 02:53 AM
    i installed my metal back for the CDMA iphone and rebooted...i immediately noticed a drop in signal i went from an average 3-4 bars in my office to 1-2...i put the OEM glass back on and it was back to 3-4...needless to say im not going to be using the metal back...

if someone else wants it ill sell it 10.00 shipped.
    05-05-2011 12:25 PM
    i installed my metal back for the CDMA iphone and rebooted...i immediately noticed a drop in signal i went from an average 3-4 bars in my office to 1-2...i put the OEM glass back on and it was back to 3-4...needless to say im not going to be using the metal back...

if someone else wants it ill sell it 10.00 shipped.
    Thought this might be happening, too. I guess since you thought so, too, must be true! However, I might know someone interested in your metal back, but I'll handle the transaction (Paypal from me and mail to me.). PM me for info.
    05-05-2011 07:28 PM
    This might be a silly question but does the gunmetal match the sides on the iPhone or do you think the silver would match better?
    05-06-2011 01:37 PM
    This might be a silly question but does the gunmetal match the sides on the iPhone or do you think the silver would match better?
    Surprisingly, the gunmetal matches the sides pretty good.
    05-06-2011 07:27 PM
    Thought this might be happening, too. I guess since you thought so, too, must be true! However, I might know someone interested in your metal back, but I'll handle the transaction (Paypal from me and mail to me.). PM me for info.
    has the call quality been affected at all or is it just some dropped signal strenght?
    05-06-2011 11:08 PM
    has the call quality been affected at all or is it just some dropped signal strenght?
    Think the reason thought possible reception decrease was due to some recent thunder storms and VZ with the recent release of 4.2.8. VZ reps usually deny this, but I think VZ usually run tests on their system before releasing new OS's. This was the case with my Storm.
    05-06-2011 11:43 PM
    Think the reason thought possible reception decrease was due to some recent thunder storms and VZ with the recent release of 4.2.8. VZ reps usually deny this, but I think VZ usually run tests on their system before releasing new OS's. This was the case with my Storm.
    Oh the dreaded storm, I am so glad I got rid of that thing, although it served me well until it hit the one year mark. I dont know why blackberries seem to only have a shelf life of one year, but my storm 1, my fiance's storm 2, and our parents bb all started crapping out after the 1 year mark.

Well I constantly get full bars here in san diego so I guess ill just have to wait and see what effect the metal backing will have.
    05-07-2011 12:32 AM
    well with me it was instant...glass back 3-4 bars 30 seconds later with the metal back 1-2 bars, then put the glass back on boom 3-4 bars. that was pretty clear cut for me.
    05-07-2011 08:42 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD