After an initial boost in battery performance 4.3.1 has proven to be just as horrible for my battery as 4.3. I am starting to think that apple sucks.
    Post a screen shot of usage with battery almost run all the way down and not charging the battery at all during the day. We'll tell you if its bad battery life or not. I would love to see what your calling horrible.
    03-30-2011 07:04 PM
    I will post it later tonight. I was getting about 8 hours usage on 4.2 then about 4-5 hours on 4.3. Now on 4.3.1 I am getting about 4. I have not installed any new apps since my update specifically so I can test the battery.
    03-30-2011 07:06 PM
    I will post it later tonight. I was getting about 8 hours usage on 4.2 then about 4-5 hours on 4.3. Now on 4.3.1 I am getting about 4. I have not installed any new apps since my update specifically so I can test the battery.
    ok great. Also, I'm on 4.2.1 still and I only get 8 usage if I have a lot of iPod usage time as that doesnt eat battery. I average 5 hrs on 4.2.1. Maybe 5.5 on occaision.
    03-30-2011 07:20 PM
    After an initial boost in battery performance 4.3.1 has proven to be just as horrible for my battery as 4.3. I am starting to think that apple sucks.
    have you tried the "restore as new device" option?
    03-30-2011 09:25 PM
    I'm thinking about doing that his weekend. I was so happy with the iPhone before the last couple of weeks. I never thought about the phone except for using it. With Android I was always looking in forums for "help".
    03-30-2011 09:30 PM
    Alright, my initial assessment of 4.3.1 went downhill. At first, my iPhone held onto 100% for nearly 2 hours without decreasing. Once I started checking an email (one only) and called my mom (5 minutes), I looked at my battery, and it read 60%... wtf? The worse part is, the bottom of the device kept getting warmer than normal. Also, today, I was taking pics of my toddler and her first time in drinking from a straw. The cam app froze for around 10 minutes with the bottom feeling hot to the touch. I've never had this issue prior to 4.3.

I made an appointment with the genius bar in Palo Alto. I hope that the reps there can help me out. I don't mind staying at 4.2.1 as long as I have a reliable device to use daily.
    03-30-2011 09:37 PM
    I really wish apple would allow us to downgrade our OS. Especially when there are issues with the current release.
    03-30-2011 09:41 PM
    I really wish apple would allow us to downgrade our OS. Especially when there are issues with the current release.
    Well that's usually not how it works. Some of the updates patch security holes, so Apple doesn't want you downgrading.

Plus, it makes jailbreaking harder!
    03-30-2011 09:46 PM
    I'm thinking about doing that his weekend. I was so happy with the iPhone before the last couple of weeks. I never thought about the phone except for using it. With Android I was always looking in forums for "help".
    my suggestion would be to definitely do a restore as new device.. this will give you a chance to start fresh and really see how 4.3.1 will operate on your device

then make your assessment and IF you are still having issues make an appointment with the genius bar
    03-30-2011 10:03 PM
    I took this to the Apple Store and showed the tech and he was absolutely baffled. He had no idea WHY it was doing this but everytime I use my iPod app on my iPhone 4 it keeps saying its downloading something and my battery life has been HORRIBLE. But everytime I turn on the iPod app it keeps transmitting something...and everytime I push skip to the next song..same thing. And no I don't have any background apps running while it does this...I pretty much clean out the whole multitasking tray several times a day. And in turn hours of just using the iPod feature my battery was down to HALF. Anyways the tech replaced my battery just in case but said he didn't see anything wrong...

Anyone else getting this? It never started downloading something while in the iPod app before..Anyways I've attached a screenshot for you all to see.
    03-30-2011 10:57 PM
    I took this to the Apple Store and showed the tech and he was absolutely baffled. He had no idea WHY it was doing this but everytime I use my iPod app on my iPhone 4 it keeps saying its downloading something and my battery life has been HORRIBLE. But everytime I turn on the iPod app it keeps transmitting something...and everytime I push skip to the next song..same thing. And no I don't have any background apps running while it does this...I pretty much clean out the whole multitasking tray several times a day. And in turn hours of just using the iPod feature my battery was down to HALF. Anyways the tech replaced my battery just in case but said he didn't see anything wrong...

Anyone else getting this? It never started downloading something while in the iPod app before..Anyways I've attached a screenshot for you all to see.
    Blind guess, ping? =/
    03-30-2011 11:02 PM
    I restricted Ping...It's still doing this after I restored it as well.
    03-30-2011 11:04 PM
    I restricted Ping...It's still doing this after I restored it as well.
    Gee, how much data is it using? I see you're on AT&T? Hope you have unlimited?
    03-30-2011 11:15 PM
    isn't replacing the battery admitting there "might" be an issue?? what an A$$

they should have replaced the entire unit
    03-30-2011 11:18 PM
    640 megs...and nope Im on the 2gb a month plan.
    03-30-2011 11:19 PM
    isn't replacing the battery admitting there "might" be an issue?? what an A$$

they should have replaced the entire unit
    Agreed.

640 megs...and nope Im on the 2gb a month plan.
    Wow, can't you go back? Obviously the issue still persists. If you just leave it it'll eat through all your data (and battery).
    03-30-2011 11:27 PM
    It's pretty normal usage I do..I use Pandora Radio while on the bus alot so..but I don't see an issue with it hurting data...just battery.
    03-30-2011 11:39 PM
    It's pretty normal usage I do..I use Pandora Radio while on the bus alot so..but I don't see an issue with it hurting data...just battery.
    Oh, I thought the iPod problem was 640MB of data by itself.

Still, I would take it back and see if you could get it replaced.
    03-30-2011 11:41 PM
    Will consider that..
    03-30-2011 11:43 PM
    So the Apple Genius at the Palo Alto location read through my case and the repair diagnostic from last week. He even witnessed first hand the slow animations and the battery meter decreasing by 1%-2% every few seconds on my iPhone. The Genius immediately replaced my device with one running on 4.2.1 (didn't save my blobs... learned my lesson haha)! And to top it off, I was only expecting a refurb iPhone that works (I didn't really care as long as there is no cosmetic damage or anything wrong), but the serial number seems to indicate that it's brand new (starts with 61111xxxxxxxx)...

Anyway, I'm just happy I have my reliable iPhone back to normal working condition with a battery that lasts at least a day. Installing my work apps now...
    03-31-2011 03:57 AM
    So the Apple Genius at the Palo Alto location read through my case and the repair diagnostic from last week. He even witnessed first hand the slow animations and the battery meter decreasing by 1%-2% every few seconds on my iPhone. The Genius immediately replaced my device with one running on 4.2.1 (didn't save my blobs... learned my lesson haha)! And to top it off, I was only expecting a refurb iPhone that works (I didn't really care as long as there is no cosmetic damage or anything wrong), but the serial number seems to indicate that it's brand new (starts with 61111xxxxxxxx)...

Anyway, I'm just happy I have my reliable iPhone back to normal working condition with a battery that lasts at least a day. Installing my work apps now...
    blobs are device specific so it wouldn't have mattered anyways.. glad you got it resolved!
    03-31-2011 09:22 AM
    Hi everyone,

I been a regular viewer of this blog but never felt the need to sign up.

I regularly update iOS but today when trying to download iOS 4.3.1, the download would finish but then when it is trying to process, it gives me a "fail to establish connection or something like that" but I know my internet is fine. I did it twice and it would download all 419.9 MB worth but still say it "timed out." I also get a "zero KB of 419.9 MB -stopped (err = -3259)" as a "status" on my "Downloads" section.

I never have jb or had a problem updating firmware before. Thanks to those who read this and hope you can help.
    04-02-2011 05:56 PM
    I had the same problem. Disable our antivirus and try again. I spoke with Apple tech support and this fixed it. Apple made some server changes that are causing headaches.
    Bushido likes this.
    04-02-2011 05:59 PM
    I had the same problem. Disable our antivirus and try again. I spoke with Apple tech support and this fixed it. Apple made some server changes that are causing headaches.
    Thanks. I think I'll just wait for 5.0 since 4.3.1 is not worth the hassel once again. If this problem continues on that update, I'll follow this suggestion.
    04-02-2011 07:00 PM
    what exactly is "normal/average" usage on a full charge on 4.3.1? people get so many different usage times out of their devices...
    04-04-2011 03:26 PM
106 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD