Toymaker

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Sync Help?

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend that is not a tech guy but he recently got iPhones for him and his wife. He only sync'd once but I'm not sure it worked because now 5 months later he is trying to sync for the 2nd time and it says it needs to erase everything to sync to the iTunes account. Is there anything he can do to not loose everything he has stored on his phone?
This includes apps that he purchased on his phone.
Thanks.

P.S. He's leaving for a two week trip to China tomorrow and any suggestions tonight would be very helpful.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
He needs to sync to the same computer he sync'd to 5 months ago. Otherwise, yes, it will erase everything on there.

Toymaker

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Will he be able to transfer purchases or does he need to re-purchase everything?
Will he also loose his contact and calender info as well?

mlaz14

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
If he syncs to the same computer he did the first time everything will be backed up. He won't have to buy everything and contacts and calendar will be saved. I don't know if he'll lose anything if he syncs to a different one but use the original computer if possible.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Will he be able to transfer purchases or does he need to re-purchase everything?
Will he also loose his contact and calender info as well?

He can transfer purchases if he's syncing to a different computer by going to the menu in iTunes and choosing the "transfer purchases" button. (One of the few things iTunes makes simple.)

Have him sync his contacts and calendar to a Google account to avoid loss.

Or tell him that he's gone 5 months without syncing, why bother doing it now.

Toymaker

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks about the transfer purchases tip.
How can you sync contacts to google if you aren't able to sync to a computer? I thought it was through the PC.
Also he's not a big fan of Google is there another solution that is similar?

The reason he didn't sync again before now was because he had trouble when he did his first sync. He wants to transfer his movies and pictures for the trip.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You can sync your contacts and calendar to Google easily. But your best bet is to have him read some of the threads on here with the instructions, rather than us going through it again, and then you trying to give it to him second had.

If he doesn't like Google, he can pay for MobileMe or an Exchange service.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR