Hows that working for you folks that use it? I travel and use my phone to tether to my macbook a lot. I have not made the jump to the iPhone yet, currently use the Verizon tether fee on my current phone with no problems. Just wondering how well it works on the iPhone.
    03-24-2011 06:29 PM
    I have used it to tether two iPads at once. It was fast and didn't ever drop out. A phone call will suspend the connection while on the phone
    larry5332 likes this.
    03-25-2011 07:14 AM
    I use mine all the time. I use it for my iPad and my lap top along with my sons iPod. It works great!
    larry5332 likes this.
    03-25-2011 08:33 AM
    Question: is it free or does VZW charge a monthly fee for it?
    03-25-2011 11:21 AM
    Question: is it free or does VZW charge a monthly fee for it?
    $20 bucks a month for that service. But if your account gets a discount you get a % off that. I get 20% off my plan. I only save $4 but I use it a lot.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    03-25-2011 11:30 AM
    $20 bucks a month for that service. But if your account gets a discount you get a % off that. I get 20% off my plan. I only save $4 but I use it a lot.
    Well I was hoping to get it for free since I probably wouldn't use it all that much, just every so often. But thanks for the head's up!
    03-25-2011 11:57 AM
    Well I was hoping to get it for free since I probably wouldn't use it all that much, just every so often. But thanks for the head's up!
    Yeah, it would be nice, but there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...
    03-25-2011 12:10 PM
    Yeah, it would be nice, but there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...
    There is on my Droid X, so that's why I was wondering. If the iP4 had the same capability, I wanted to know. It would make a switch THAT much easier.
    03-25-2011 12:21 PM
    There is on my Droid X, so that's why I was wondering. If the iP4 had the same capability, I wanted to know. It would make a switch THAT much easier.
    Understood... and I didn't mean for that to sound snarky... it's just that VZW (and other carriers and other businesses, for that matter) are in business to make money, and very few let an opportunity like this pass.

Are you saying that the mobile hotspot is available on your X at no additional charge from your carrier?
    03-25-2011 12:25 PM
    Understood... and I didn't mean for that to sound snarky... it's just that VZW (and other carriers and other businesses, for that matter) are in business to make money, and very few let an opportunity like this pass.

Are you saying that the mobile hotspot is available on your X at no additional charge from your carrier?
    Yeah, there's a free app in the market. It requires root access, but that was just one click anyway (and apparently there is a free app in the market that doesn't require root, but it came out after I had already rooted). It works really well, occasionally shuts off and you have to reconnect, but it's not too bad and fast as hell. I get charged nothing from VZW for it.

And I totally understand that VZW wants to make money, it was just wishful thinking on my behalf. However, right now, tether is important. My fiance doesn't have internet at her house and we used my tether last night to do an online job application for her. Without it, we couldn't have done it (she has a child that she can't leave home alone and works two jobs, so she didn't have time to come to my place to do it). Therefore, I doubt I'll switch until tether is free on the iPhone. I just can't justify $240/year when I'm getting it for free now.
    03-25-2011 12:36 PM
    You can do the same thing on you iphone 4 as you did on your driod X, if you jailbreak and look hard enough.

I will leave it at that.
    03-25-2011 12:44 PM
    You can do the same thing on you iphone 4 as you did on your driod X, if you jailbreak and look hard enough.

I will leave it at that.
    Yes, but both apps/platforms are questionable at best, with regards to violation of the provider's ToS. There's a whole discussion of this subject in the Jailbreak forum here.
    03-25-2011 12:48 PM
    Yes, but both apps/platforms are questionable at best, with regards to violation of the provider's ToS. There's a whole discussion of this subject in the Jailbreak forum here.
    Agreed. I just wanted to let the OP know that the option was available. It carries the same liability as using the service on the Driod without paying for it
    03-25-2011 01:05 PM
    Thanks for the replies all. I'm not interested in jailbreaking, I like original smooth operating systems with out having to tweak, thats why my computers are Mac's. Also as a small business owner I like to get paid for the services I provide. I wish we could just tether using the phone's data package, but for the time being we have what we have.
    03-25-2011 03:12 PM
    I use mine all the time. I use it for my iPad and my lap top along with my sons iPod. It works great!
    I was just wondering how much it affects the battery life of you phone. Can you roughly guess the percentage on a day you don't use it vs a day you do use it?

I don't have an iphone as of yet, I am trying to hold out until the next generation but I will be getting an iPad 2 in the near future and I am trying to decide what route 3g or wifi. I have read the other thread about this subject but I wasn't able to find anything about battery life...maybe my searching cabailites aren't so good.
    03-25-2011 06:50 PM
    PDANet and MyWi allow you to tether without a tethering plan, thankfully Verizon hasn't went ape **** about this either.
    03-25-2011 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the replies all. I'm not interested in jailbreaking, I like original smooth operating systems with out having to tweak, thats why my computers are Mac's. Also as a small business owner I like to get paid for the services I provide. I wish we could just tether using the phone's data package, but for the time being we have what we have.
    If you like smooth operating systems, why are you on Android??? My Jailbroken iPhone runs much much much more smoother than any of the Droids I've owned, including the X.
    03-25-2011 07:26 PM
    If you like smooth operating systems, why are you on Android??? My Jailbroken iPhone runs much much much more smoother than any of the Droids I've owned, including the X.
    I'm not on android. I currently use a Blackberry Storm 2. I have not had many of the published issues with it as many have, not the fastest os I agree but it has been stable for me.
    03-26-2011 01:57 AM
    Well I recommend JB'ing your iPhone. If you DON'T like it, take it back to stock. Pretty simple. And the MyWi tethering app ($20 one time fee, free 3 day trial) is simply superb. I use it EVERY DAY.
    03-26-2011 03:46 AM
    I was just wondering how much it affects the battery life of you phone. Can you roughly guess the percentage on a day you don't use it vs a day you do use it?

I don't have an iphone as of yet, I am trying to hold out until the next generation but I will be getting an iPad 2 in the near future and I am trying to decide what route 3g or wifi. I have read the other thread about this subject but I wasn't able to find anything about battery life...maybe my searching cabailites aren't so good.
    I use it for a coulple hours in the evenings. It does run the battery down a lot faster than with it off. I take my phone off the charger at 6am and when I get home at 6pm I usally have 50% or more left after the days work and I will turn it on for a couple hours and play scrabble on my iPad and play on the net. My son has his ipod linked up also so after that I go down about 20% to 30% in those couple hours.
    k-man-do likes this.
    03-26-2011 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD