Seriously considering iPhone 4

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are both up for an upgrade. I have the original Droid and she has a LG feature phone. I like my Droid for the most part, but the truth is if Verizon had the iPhone when I got it I would have picked the iPhone. I have looked at the Thunderbolt and know that there are other Android phones coming out as well as the iPhone 5 at some point this year. We have done a lot of research and are really leaning towards the iPhone. I just have a couple questions I'm hoping I can get help with:

1) Do we go with the 16gig or 32gig. We will use it for music and video files. I am just wondering how much of the memory is available for use. How much is used by the system before putting music, videos and apps on the phone? Is it worth the extra $100 for the 32 gig?

2) Should we wait for the iPhone 5? We don't really want to wait if it isn't coming out until late this year. With the high resell value I am thinking that we could resell the 4 and get the 5 if it was that big of a jump in technology. Any thoughts?

3) How does the iPhone integrate with Google? Coming from the Droid I use a lot of the Google tools like email and calendar.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Carl_g

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Do you like my fannypack??

464709b4-8222-39e8.jpg

snakester9

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
1. 32 gb definitely if you're going to be putting a lot of multimedia on it. My apps alone take up 5gb.

2. This is really up to you. I have another upgrade I can get the 5 with if it's really that much of a jump, so I can't be much help here.

3. There is apparently a google app in the store that will sync things, but I've never tried it.

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love my iPhone (even though the notificaiton system and email functionality is something to be desired). With that said, I think you should WAIT.

Unless your phone is on the fritz and you absolutely need to upgrade, why not wait a few months to get a better idea if the iPhone 5 is going to drop for VZW? If I were you, I'd wait until around June, when usually the new iPhone model is announced. If it's not coming to VZW, then maybe the new Android phones might be more tasty.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are both up for an upgrade. I have the original Droid and she has a LG feature phone. I like my Droid for the most part, but the truth is if Verizon had the iPhone when I got it I would have picked the iPhone. I have looked at the Thunderbolt and know that there are other Android phones coming out as well as the iPhone 5 at some point this year. We have done a lot of research and are really leaning towards the iPhone. I just have a couple questions I'm hoping I can get help with:

1) Do we go with the 16gig or 32gig. We will use it for music and video files. I am just wondering how much of the memory is available for use. How much is used by the system before putting music, videos and apps on the phone? Is it worth the extra $100 for the 32 gig?

2) Should we wait for the iPhone 5? We don't really want to wait if it isn't coming out until late this year. With the high resell value I am thinking that we could resell the 4 and get the 5 if it was that big of a jump in technology. Any thoughts?

3) How does the iPhone integrate with Google? Coming from the Droid I use a lot of the Google tools like email and calendar.

1. 32GB. You will just wish you went 32 if you get the 16.

2. The iPhone 5 will probably come out soon enough, HOWEVER, remember that iPhones BY FAR have the best resale value of any smartphone. If it comes out in July/Aug you could easily sell a 32GB for ~$500.

3. I use Google e-Mail and Calender just fine with my iPhone 4.

kpxstar9

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Get the 32 gig you won't regret it. Secondly, the iPhone 5 is most likely going to be a CDMA/GSM device; that's going to be the huge difference between the 4 and 5. Lastly, if you set your gmail account up as an exchange account on the iPhone you have your calendar and contact integration super easy

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even think about the fact that I do have another upgrade coming up in July. I could use that for the iPhone 5 and sell the iPhone 4 if I really wanted to. I just need a basic phone on that line. So that solves that problem.

I think we will go for the 32gig based on the comments.

I was concerned a little about the Google issue because that is probably my favorite thing about my Droid.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was concerned a little about the Google issue because that is probably my favorite thing about my Droid.

Google sync is seamless and available out of the box without an app. Works great with calendar, mail, and contacts all via push so it's instant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I would have to disagree that Google services do not sync as well as android, for obvious reasons. You are probably accustomed to the GMail app on android that is basically just like the web mail interface.... you are not going to get this on iphone. I also rely on google services like mail, docs, calendar etc. and have had the best luck just using the mobile gmail site for managing my day to day emails, I only use the stock mail app for composing mail, and use a push notifier for email alerts (I don't use the gmail exchange setup that others use, because I like my labels/stars/trash to work properly).

I also wouldn't worry about the iphone 5. People have been saying since the iP4 was released on Verizon that everyone should wait.... but how long are you willing to wait and for what? Looks like the iphone 5 won't be released until Q3 of this year (maybe July, Aug, Sept. even??). I would just get the iphone 4 now and not worry about it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

1) I always get the biggest but depends how much you want to manage and much media you want on the iPhone at one time. You will have about 14GB and 29GB of actual space to work with on each device.

2) I would wait but being that Verizon needs different tech in their version we do not know how the iPhone 5 release will happen. Verizon could possibly not get it at the same time as GSM version. You never know.

3) It integrates just fine with Google Sync for mobile.

trevgriff#IM

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Droid Incredible and haven't missed it yet. On my iPhone I have an work ms exchange email, 2 gmail accounts, 1 hotmail and 1 Verizon pop3 all without a hitch.

yanks19

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
with the verizon iPhone only just coming out in February, i personally can't see an iPhone 5 coming out in June....maybe a 4.5 refresh or something with iPhone 5 in Jan/Feb '12 but what do i know. if you want an iPhone, get an iPhone. there are always people to sell your old stuff to if it turns out you want the next great thing.

if you're going to sync a lot of multimedia, i think you'll just be frustrated with a 16gb model. even if you're willing to stream a lot of your stuff using various methods, you'll still want enough space to load up some of your favorites.

on to the google integration.... if you want push gmail in the native Mail app, setting it up as exchange works well enough. it has some quirks like deleting emails on the device only archive on the web so you still need to comb your All Mail box online if you actually want to delete stuff... contact and calendar sync using the exchange setup work well and you get most of the functionality of the native google stuff, but not all of it. it's more than enough to be functional for me, though. the only real issue i have is the archive instead of delete 'feature' but it's only a minor thing for me.

if you're not opposed to jailbreaking and you use google voice, you have to try phone GV extension (and sms GV extension if you text w/google voice #) as they really integrate that functionality into the iPhone. again not quite as polished as android's built in support but between those extensions and the official Google Voice app, it works great.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I ordered 2 of the 32gig iPhones this morning. They have already shipped and will be delivered tomorrow. Thank you for all of the comments. I feel good about my decision. I was pretty sold on getting another Android phone, but the more I read the more I felt the iPhone was best for us right now. I do have another upgrade if I really wanted to get the new phone when it comes out, but to be honest I am not too worried about it. My wife has had the iTouch for a couple years and loves it still.

Now to decide on a case...any suggestions? We are not hard on our phones, but I like to protect them. I have always sold my phones at a good price because I take such good care of them. I have looked at the "case-mate barely there" and the Seideo Innocase, but am open to suggestions. Thanks.

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

1. Videos take a lot of memory, plus music and APPS ... 32GB is well worth it. 16GB is pretty small if you have the extra $100 to spend.

2. Now or wait .... that is the question.

3. You can setup your gmail like an exchange server and everything gets sync'd up ... very easy.

jb20

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I would have to disagree that Google services do not sync as well as android, for obvious reasons. You are probably accustomed to the GMail app on android that is basically just like the web mail interface.... you are not going to get this on iphone. I also rely on google services like mail, docs, calendar etc. and have had the best luck just using the mobile gmail site for managing my day to day emails, I only use the stock mail app for composing mail, and use a push notifier for email alerts (I don't use the gmail exchange setup that others use, because I like my labels/stars/trash to work properly).

I also wouldn't worry about the iphone 5. People have been saying since the iP4 was released on Verizon that everyone should wait.... but how long are you willing to wait and for what? Looks like the iphone 5 won't be released until Q3 of this year (maybe July, Aug, Sept. even??). I would just get the iphone 4 now and not worry about it.

You should get the push for gmail app from the app store. Everything I had with my gmail account frommy DX I have on my Iphone. Even better the push for gmail app has an incredible pop up notification. similar to receiving an sms. the incomming message pops up on the screeen. By far it it the most undereated app for gmail users . The seller is Ilegend soft inc. You will not be dissapointed. You can access all google applications from this app, I use gdocs a lot. A friend showed me this app and that pushed me over into buying the Iphone. Emails are delivered just as fast as an android device

Cyder

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
If you don't wanna wait for the iPhone 5 and are still skeptical on the iPhone 4, why not look into one of the android phones. The new Incredible HD looks very promising. I had an incredible before the screen got cracked and I didn't have the money to buy a new one or insurance for that matter.

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You should get the push for gmail app from the app store. Everything I had with my gmail account frommy DX I have on my Iphone. Even better the push for gmail app has an incredible pop up notification. similar to receiving an sms. the incomming message pops up on the screeen. By far it it the most undereated app for gmail users . The seller is Ilegend soft inc. You will not be dissapointed. You can access all google applications from this app, I use gdocs a lot. A friend showed me this app and that pushed me over into buying the Iphone. Emails are delivered just as fast as an android device

This is the very app that I have been using for the past month. Pushes instantly, but I have the emails open in the app so it is basically opening them on the mobile site. I prefer this to the stock email app because I have all of my gmail tools available (archive, star, labels etc).

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

This sounds like what I would want. Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2