Team Pure what if...

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Uh...

So, I tried out JBing one more time, just to see what was out there...

And yeah. I'm staying JB from now on :eek:

I refuse to skin too intensively, but I found a theme that doesn't change the icons, only the UI, and it's amazing: z | u i - sometimes less is more . I never themed because I didn't want the icons changed; I want them to be consistent all of the time, as I rarely read the text but look for the icon. This theme has a gorgeous UI and is FREE. I could not pass it up.

Add in LockInfo, which I never tried before because it looked complicated, and biteSMS (same), and I don't think I can go back. I really don't have much else installed (only FakeCarrier, ByteFont, and some app that lets me place my icons wherever, i forget the name), so my phone is running as fast as it was before the JB. This time Cydia installed and overall it's been a much smoother experience.

Seriously though - the iPhone has a looong way to go before it reaches the ease and level of customization on a BlackBerry... some of this stuff is really freaking complicated :confused:

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Uh...

So, I tried out JBing one more time, just to see what was out there...

And yeah. I'm staying JB from now on :eek:

I refuse to skin too intensively, but I found a theme that doesn't change the icons, only the UI, and it's amazing: z | u i - sometimes less is more . I never themed because I didn't want the icons changed; I want them to be consistent all of the time, as I rarely read the text but look for the icon. This theme has a gorgeous UI and is FREE. I could not pass it up.

Add in LockInfo, which I never tried before because it looked complicated, and biteSMS (same), and I don't think I can go back. I really don't have much else installed (only FakeCarrier, ByteFont, and some app that lets me place my icons wherever, i forget the name), so my phone is running as fast as it was before the JB. This time Cydia installed and overall it's been a much smoother experience.

Seriously though - the iPhone has a looong way to go before it reaches the ease and level of customization on a BlackBerry... some of this stuff is really freaking complicated :confused:

Haha, it can get confusing.

LockInfo and biteSMS are my two favorites. Apple really needs to fix the notifications.

Other than that, I try to keep the Cydia tweaks and apps to a minimum. I refuse to theme, because I think it'll make my device slower, even though that may not actually be true. However, the more Cydia tweaks/apps I had, the more likely I would experience a springboard crash. Not that my device was unreliable and unusable, but sometimes it would crash at a bad time (like when I was typing something long).

So now I just keep it to LockInfo, biteSMS, ultrasn0w, and a CommCenter patch (I'm unlocked on T-Mobile) and haven't had springboard crash since.

What did you use to do with your BB? I used to own one, I never really changed the theme, just the wallpaper. Most of my customizing was within the settings. Like font, and especially the notifications.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Haha, it can get confusing.

LockInfo and biteSMS are my two favorites. Apple really needs to fix the notifications.

Other than that, I try to keep the Cydia tweaks and apps to a minimum. I refuse to theme, because I think it'll make my device slower, even though that may not actually be true. However, the more Cydia tweaks/apps I had, the more likely I would experience a springboard crash. Not that my device was unreliable and unusable, but sometimes it would crash at a bad time (like when I was typing something long).

So now I just keep it to LockInfo, biteSMS, ultrasn0w, and a CommCenter patch (I'm unlocked on T-Mobile) and haven't had springboard crash since.

What did you use to do with your BB? I used to own one, I never really changed the theme, just the wallpaper. Most of my customizing was within the settings. Like font, and especially the notifications.

Yeah, I'm keeping mine down, too, as I just don't want to sacrifice the stability for the few added benefits I've found. With my Blackberry, I themed extensively, but it was sooo much simpler than it is on the iPhone. The whole "everything is in one place in your settings" bit is crazy to me... I'm used to having a Themes section where I could go and browse the themes I'd had installed, see a preview image, and decide to activate it or not. So much is required to theme on an iPhone, especially software-wise, though I know it's because Apple doesn't really want us tricking out our iPhones.

That, and the theme choices are pretty poor imho. It seems that 99 out of 100 themes are metallic/shiny/glossy with frames around the icons... BLEH.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm keeping mine down, too, as I just don't want to sacrifice the stability for the few added benefits I've found. With my Blackberry, I themed extensively, but it was sooo much simpler than it is on the iPhone. The whole "everything is in one place in your settings" bit is crazy to me... I'm used to having a Themes section where I could go and browse the themes I'd had installed, see a preview image, and decide to activate it or not. So much is required to theme on an iPhone, especially software-wise, though I know it's because Apple doesn't really want us tricking out our iPhones.

That, and the theme choices are pretty poor imho. It seems that 99 out of 100 themes are metallic/shiny/glossy with frames around the icons... BLEH.

Oh yeah! I remember that now. I really wish Apple would integrate theming into iOS, so we don't have to use winterboard. But hey, they gave us wallpapers in iOS 4, so maybe iOS 5, themes?

Lol, there are only a few themes I like, but most of them involve replacing icons. Of course, not many themes have icon bundles for a bunch of 3rd party apps. So I'd have the Apple apps icons fitting in with the theme, but then I download a 3rd party app but then it'd have the stock icon, ruining the theme. =/ So I just gave up. :p

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
after a couple of years of tweaking themes and whatnot i, as of late, have also taken a more conservative jailbreak approach. which consist of LockInfo, biteSMS and iFile (so i can tweak tones) or anything to make my devices workability better..

chirmer and redchirp, have you guys looked in to or tried

ModMyi.com | ScreenDimmer

ModMyi.com | FullScreen for Safari

if not, give them a try you'll like them.. i'm sure

Reactions: anon(5335877)

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
after a couple of years of tweaking themes and whatnot i, as of late, have also taken a more conservative jailbreak approach. which consist of LockInfo, biteSMS and iFile (so i can tweak tones) or anything to make my devices workability better..

chirmer and redchirp, have you guys looked in to or tried

ModMyi.com | ScreenDimmer

ModMyi.com | FullScreen for Safari

if not, give them a try you'll like them.. i'm sure

Is there a trial period? I opened it up on my desktop, haven't checked it on my phone.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Is there a trial period? I opened it up on my desktop, haven't checked it on my phone.

unfortunately i do not think there is for either one..

i can confirm that screendimmer does indeed save battery life. fullscreen safari is simply amazing. after using it, exclusively, it makes you realize how much real estate is wasted with the native UI

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
unfortunately i do not think there is for either one..

i can confirm that screendimmer does indeed save battery life. fullscreen safari is simply amazing. after using it, exclusively, it makes you realize how much real estate is wasted with the native UI

I went ahead and bought both. And wow, after using fullscreen... it's hard to go back to normal Safari.

Can't say much about screendimmer yet, other than it's working. I'll see if my battery life improves in a couple days.

zwei

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Steve Jobs would be proud
I don't hack my PS3 either. I guess the CEO of Sony is proud of me too?

Why do I need to try Jailbreaking to "know" it's not for me? Jailbreaking news and features appear daily in my RSS feeds. What am I missing? Do you guys keep all the good stuff a secret or something? Is Jailbreaking the "red pill" that will truly open my eyes to the Matrix?

I'm happy you guys can throw info on your lock screen. If you want your home screen icons to swirl like water in a toilet bowl, more power to you. Just realize that stuff doesn't matter to a lot of people.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't hack my PS3 either. I guess the CEO of Sony is proud of me too?

well... of course

Why do I need to try Jailbreaking to "know" it's not for me? Jailbreaking news and features appear daily in my RSS feeds.

wow, what a great analogy.. i do not really like Ferrari's either, well from what i have read anyways.. and because it is from what i have read only, i will NEVER want to get into one to see first handed if i indeed do not like one..

If you want your home screen icons to swirl like water in a toilet bowl

haha, this made me laugh. thanks

of course i am not saying people who do not jailbreak "must do it" but i am tired of reading about people who are SO against it, when they have never tried it (not saying you are one of them) i really enjoy reading threads/posts about people who eventually did jailbreak and wondered why they waited so long

anyways, not trying to start an internet fight, don't really have the time for it. i say give it a try, you might like it. if not, good for you. i'd like to think there is a little hacker in all of us :D

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I hate to say it, but I'm back to Team Pure. For the past few days I've been getting a bug where my scrolling is messed up and the flick scrolling doesn't work. I also sometimes open Settings and i can't tap anything. Nothing works. That, and my SpringBoard has been crashing about twice a day, which is more than I care to tolerate. All I have installed is biteSMS and LockInfo. I'm restoring and I'm back to Team Pure.

zwei

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
wow, what a great analogy.. i do not really like Ferrari's either, well from what i have read anyways.. and because it is from what i have read only, i will NEVER want to get into one to see first handed if i indeed do not like one..
Bad analogy. Here's a better one. The last two cars I bought, I did so without test-driving any trucks. Why? Because trucks do not have the qualities I am looking for. If someone came along and showed me something compelling, I would give it a shot.

of course i am not saying people who do not jailbreak "must do it" but i am tired of reading about people who are SO against it, when they have never tried it (not saying you are one of them) i really enjoy reading threads/posts about people who eventually did jailbreak and wondered why they waited so long
Like I've said before ?the only way I'd definitely be against it is if I am the tech support for the person jailbreaking. If I'm not in charge of keeping the system running I don't care.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro