Team Pure what if...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out some of the driving factors why Team pure members choose to stay pure. There are people constantly asking "Why do you JB?" so just out of curiosity I'd love to know the other side of the fence? I'd love to hear from some of the ardent purists like Chad, Leanna and JBaby but anyone from Team pure is welcomed to step up to the plate. I know this might not be the right forum but General section sucks for traffic and the Jailbreak section definitely wont be the right section for this topic. Any JBers please don't try to get them to change their minds lets all just agree to disagree, in other words don't tell them how wrong they are about their reasons, we've already proven that ;) LOL

After you've answered the reasons why you stay true to the vanilla iPhone let me ask you this one thing to see what is the real underlying reason. If at the launch of the iPhone 5 the world went topsy turvy and Steve got up on stage and said "We at Apple want to tell you that it's ok to Jailbreak your phones, Jailbreak is cool and it allows so much customization" would you do it? would you even consider it? If you're an ardent purist then Steve saying it's OK to do it wouldn't change any of the reasons that you have to stay vanilla. I'm just curious.

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have had my phone for 2 weeks now and coming from a Blackberry it is already so much faster, smoother and better I dont see a reason to adjust anything or modify anything from how it came out of the box or the factory settings. I admit that even on my Blackberry I only really changed the wallpaper pictures and how many icons were on the home screen. I have made some folders to manage my apps and so far I see no reason to make any other changes the phone is fast and stable and works whenever I need it to in other words its good enough for me as it came out of the box.

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out some of the driving factors why Team pure members choose to stay pure. There are people constantly asking "Why do you JB?" so just out of curiosity I'd love to know the other side of the fence? I'd love to hear from some of the ardent purists like Chad, Leanna and JBaby but anyone from Team pure is welcomed to step up to the plate. I know this might not be the right forum but General section sucks for traffic and the Jailbreak section definitely wont be the right section for this topic. Any JBers please don't try to get them to change their minds lets all just agree to disagree, in other words don't tell them how wrong they are about their reasons, we've already proven that ;) LOL

After you've answered the reasons why you stay true to the vanilla iPhone let me ask you this one thing to see what is the real underlying reason. If at the launch of the iPhone 5 the world went topsy turvy and Steve got up on stage and said "We at Apple want to tell you that it's ok to Jailbreak your phones, Jailbreak is cool and it allows so much customization" would you do it? would you even consider it? If you're an ardent purist then Steve saying it's OK to do it wouldn't change any of the reasons that you have to stay vanilla. I'm just curious.

What Steve says doesn't make any difference to me one way or another. If he said you'll go to hell if you jailbreak then I still might jailbreak if I wanted to.

I haven't jailbroken my phone just because:

1. Haven't felt the need to - I don't see the point in jailbreaking if it won't add any features that I actually need. So far I have been pretty ok with my phone and what I use it for.

2. Time. If I were to jailbreak I would want to spend some time fooling with my phone and the stuff you can do with it jailbroken. With time taken from work and family, etc.... hard to find the kind of time I'd like.

I may jailbreak later on, but I don't have a real aversion to it - I just need to get the motivation.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm another one on Team Pure, go team...lol

For me personally I have no need, I love the way the iPhone looks and functions for my use, I can remember back in my Blackberry and Android days, I would download all the iPhone themes, now that I have the iPhone I've reached my goal..a stable, smooth, awesome looking phone that does everything but wash my dishes, hmmm I wonder if there's an app for that? Haha..

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
CalifJewls,

i see the newness has yet to wear off. there has to be at least ONE thing you dislike about the iPhone.. if so, what would that be?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It really comes down to Apple's famous statement, "It just works". When I pick up my phone I want it to work, end of story. I like to mess with my PC, customize, build my own, and do all kinds of stuff to it. But that's my computer. With my phone all that is a headache and I don't want to worry if my JB phone is going to crash or all of a sudden when I am out some where I have to restore it.

I jailbroke my iPhone 3G once and it broke push notifications and generally ran worse than the old WM6 phones I had back in the day. Sure my iPhone 4 is a number of magintudes more powerful and would probably be better but I just don't want to deal with it and have that worry that when I'm traveling my phone could die. When I travel now I only take my iPhone and nothing else (gadget wise). It's so nice strolling through airport security and the only thing I put in the bin are my shoes and iPhone.

Steve's opinion of JB means nothing to me. His endorsement won't take away my fears of a crashing and unstable iPhone.

Team Pure FTW.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
For me, I don't jailbreak because I don't see a real need for quick settings, bite sms, lockscreen, and themes. I like the way my phone functions and since I am obsessive about updating my phone, I don't have the patience to wait for the JB to arrive.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Apple has their head up their ass on several things (email, calendar, notifications, sound levels, etc), but it's not enough to tick me off.

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
CalifJewls,
i see the newness has yet to wear off. there has to be at least ONE thing you dislike about the iPhone.. if so, what would that be?

I think it's just my personality, I even for the most part only like cars stock or at least stock in appearance..

I like the appearance of the iPhone "stock".. I'm also like Ghostface in the regard that I am OCD about software updates, I want it and I want it now..bought my first iMac 5 years ago and iPod's maybe a couple years prior to that, I've added to that Apple collection and everything runs perfectly fine for me and my use right out of the box, no need to change it, for me, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"....

Now if you ask me if I'd like 4G LTE and I could have it if I jailbreak, then I'd consider...or if it really did wash my dishes...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: BLiNK

golfnut

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When I get my IP5 in june, I'll be staying stock. I wouldn't call it vanilla, which just translates to boring. I'd call it content with the huge upgrade I'll be going to from this company candybar I have now...thank God..lol
To each their own, though...

ed116

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
i dont jailbreak cuz i heard that some people were experiaNcing battery issues, also i have my iphone unlocked n if i need 2 restore bcuz of jailbreak, i think i might loose it (on ofw 4.2.1 not jben) so ill wait till unlock and then jailbreak :)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
just to clarify; i have no problems with the stock version either.. i just prefer to make it BETTER. i completely agree with the fact that "it just works". the brief times i am vanilla i do enjoy the fact that i am not having to micro-manage my device but when i am doing such it just comes naturally and so i do not look at it in a negative light anymore.. more like a challenge if and when something goes amiss

i play around with themes but not as much as i used too. i am more into adding functionality and convenience now.. and love it, i might add :D

the funny this is i tried 4.3 and found that my battery life jailbroken, on 4.2.1, was just as good. i am unclear if i was getting the dreaded 4.3 battery drain but it's all about what you get used too.. i think i am too deep into the jailbreak world to go back to stock for good, haha

i am definitely not one of those jailbreakers who say jailbreaking is the only way to do it :)

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For me, I don't jailbreak because I don't see a real need for quick settings, bite sms, lockscreen, and themes. I like the way my phone functions and since I am obsessive about updating my phone, I don't have the patience to wait for the JB to arrive.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Apple has their head up their ass on several things (email, calendar, notifications, sound levels, etc), but it's not enough to tick me off.

+1.

I JB my phone last weekish, kept it for a week, and ended up restoring it this past weekend. I came from blackberry, and the bugs and imperfect OS bugged the OCD in me. When I JB (greenpois0n) Cydia didn't install when I installed it from the launcher. I spent two hours trying to figure out how to solve it, and it put a bitter taste in my mouth. It felt too much like blackberry OS. Everything about jailbreaking felt like having a blackberry again, and I hated it. Bugs galore, things not working, themes unable to be 100% consistent... I just couldn't stand it. My phone ran slower as well - glitching as I swiped to various app pages. I restored and was happy once again. Some bits of the JB were really nice, such as customizing sounds, but it wasn't enough to be worth restoring every time an OS update came along. The default iPhone is 99.5% what I need, and I'm ecstatic about that.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad and I get to play with it alot at work so I did the JB mainly so that I could tether. I've gotten a little more into the Jailbreaking now and I could never go back. I have 2 other stock iPhones in my house and mine runs just as smooth as the other 2. I will keep my iPad stock, but ever since I put 4.3 on it, it's become slow and laggy at times

But for my iPhone, I'm team JB 4-life :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad and I get to play with it alot at work so I did the JB mainly so that I could tether. I've gotten a little more into the Jailbreaking now and I could never go back. I have 2 other stock iPhones in my house and mine runs just as smooth as the other 2. I will keep my iPad stock, but ever since I put 4.3 on it, it's become slow and laggy at times

But for my iPhone, I'm team JB 4-life :)

I agree... I had my iPhone for 9 months before I considered JB'ing... and now I can't see myself going back... there's not one single reason that I say that, it's just a lot of little things... I have become so dependent on the Lockinfo lock screen... and the little apps - like folderCloser, and biteSMS... the themes are also nice, but again, I could probably live without any one "tweak" (maybe except the Lockinfo screen)... but put them all together they spell "Motha"! :)

And if you choose not to JB, more power to ya... I just can't see myself going back...

Travelin'Rich

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Add me to Team Pure camp because "it just works". I spent many years loving my Palm OS and Windows Mobile phones but just got fed up with the freezes and crashes. I know there are JB apps I might like but so far I can do everything I need to do staying pure and stable. I may partially bail on Team Pure to unlock it, but even if I do I'll probaly stick with "pure" apps. I am though seriously thinking about JBing my recently acquired refurb iPad 16g wifi-only.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I can think of 2 reasons not to jailbreak:

You want to be able to update to newest version

You feel insecure giving apps the ability to have root access and play outside the safe sandbox apple has put each app in each by themselves. Happy safe and ignorant to the dangers of the sometimes cruel outside world.

milani

Jul 17, 2008
ambientrings.com
For me it's entirely to do with reliability. I need my phone on a day-to-day basis, and while the jailbreak process has become increasingly easy to do, I can't justify risking my device solely to modify it. That being said, once I upgrade to iPhone 5 or 6 (depending on my eligibility) I'll likely jailbreak my iPhone 4 so I can enjoy modding and customization without risking my daily driver, so to speak.