The good news is that my dog did not drown today...

wboyle3

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So I was on a walk with my dog today in my local park and she felt it would be a great idea to walk out on the melting ice. Next thing I know is that Im neck deep in this pond/lake trying to drag my dog out of the breaking ice while also fighting to keep myself afloat.

Needless to say I did get my dog out and although cold she is fine. But my iPhone was sacrificed. I did get it in a cup of rice as soon as possible but I would be very very very surprised if the phone ever turns on again.

So here is my question, is my only option to go through the Verizon insurance program? (I only ask because it is a 169$ deductable) I know that a lot of the time Apple isnt very hesitant to help their customers out so I was thinking about possibly taking it to their store tomorrow...

I just really dont know what to do, and I might just go crazy with this Moto Razr that I am having to use right now....

HELPP!!!

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I would DEFINITELY try an Apple store first. They are SO NICE and way more likely to give you a break than Verizon reps. Just be HONEST. I can't stress this enough. Tell em what happened and my guess is they'll help you out. You go to Verizon and you'll be paying mucho dinero for a replacement :(

Mk4Jetta

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I could be very wrong but I thought Verizons insurance did not cover water damage. And Apple will see the moisture detector things in the phone were activated and probably not replace it. If it were me, I would try Verizon first. Very sorry to hear this, but it was better than losing your dog.

wboyle3

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree Mk4Jetta!! Dog > iPhone

I think I am going to try the Apple store first and see what they say, I have had an awesome experience there before and the verizon store near me is ridiculously horrible in the customer service dept...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Apple will not service an iPhone damaged by water or replace it, your warranty is void. You will need to use your insurance through Verizon.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I could be very wrong but I thought Verizons insurance did not cover water damage.
You are very wrong. Water damage, loss, theft, run over by lawn mower, etc. are all covered. A deductible sure beats full retail to replace a phone.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree Mk4Jetta!! Dog > iPhone

I think I am going to try the Apple store first and see what they say, I have had an awesome experience there before and the verizon store near me is ridiculously horrible in the customer service dept...

You don't have to set foot in a Verizon store, or call them - if you have the Asurion insurance - go to phoneclaim.com/verizon - do it all on-line.

verks

Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
If you don't mind waiting leave the phone in the rice for 72 hours! My wife was taking a pic of our 2 year old in the bath tube and he took a swipe at it knocking it into the tub. in was under for about 5 or so seconds but long enough. After that we placed it in the rice and took it out 60 - 72 hours later and BOOM it turned right on and worked. (results may vary) The screen had blotches on it that disappeared after a couple days. Good luck.

Go straight for the insurance claim forget the stores.

wboyle3

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So I went to the Apple store and they said that if I wanted I can buy a new one for $199 and then they will credit my account $149 within a few days. Seems like that is a much better choice than paying the $169 for the deductable through Verizon.

Anyone else ever gone this route?

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I went to the Apple store and they said that if I wanted I can buy a new one for $199 and then they will credit my account $149 within a few days. Seems like that is a much better choice than paying the $169 for the deductable through Verizon.

Anyone else ever gone this route?

I knew they would help you out :) the people at the Apple stores are really nice... Much nicer than Verizon reps :S

vangordernick

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Props to you. You cant replace a dog thats for sure! And props to apple. Theyre always awesome. Applecare on my ipod, tiny dust under the screen, they handed me a brand new one.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2