VIP worse than AT&T iPhone

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Why do people quote BGR? They say the stupidest things.

Like this Apple and Verizon remove the word AT&T from the Verizon iPhone? | BGR

My ViPhone is FAR better than the AttiPhone. I give a buddy of mine crap all the time over his inability to complete phone calls and the crap speeds he gets as soon as he leaves a 3G covered area. I can take my iPhone camping to many remote areas and still get a 1mbps 3G connection. I don't need to be next to a giant sprawling metropolis just to get 3G. People like BGR saying that AT&T is better than Verizon are talking out of their rears.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I am worried about 3G access out here:

death-valley-writ-large.jpg

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I am worried about 3G access out here: (Death Valley)

Try getting native AT&T 3G coverage around zip code 50401. You may as well be on that road in the picture. :)

It's location, location, location. Here, Verizon tops AT&T. And the T-Mobile affiliate is going to be 4G here probably before Verizon.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I am worried about 3G access out here:

death-valley-writ-large.jpg

Hey man, if getting ripped off is something you like, awesome. Good for you. I'm not "worried" about getting 3G coverage anywhere really, it doesn't "worry" me. I "enjoy" having 3G coverage everywhere though. Everywhere I have a signal with Verizon, I pretty much have a 3G signal. This means I get more for what I pay. That's the point I'm trying to express. Talking and surfing would count as a valid point if......you could actually complete a call ;)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Talking and surfing would count as a valid point if......you could actually complete a call ;)

Which I can. A user here at the office got a ViPhone and had some physical issues with it. Went to the Apple store, he plugged it into his computer and ran diagnostics on it. It showed 4% dropped calls. He went back to do his thing. I took my AT&T iPhone and plugged it into their laptop to look over diagnostics. Not one dropped call.

Anyways, AT&T is superior for me wherever I travel, so I'm good. Even more so when I travel outside of the country. Europe, South America....

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
How long before this discussion turns to "my dad can beat up your dad"?

The BGR guy is an idiot for trying to say what he (or ANYONE) sees in a specific area is true for everyone, everywhere... and anyone who believes him is also an idiot. As I (and many others) have stated, it's about location. Do you homework, buy what works for your needs and shut up about it.

Now, can we please move on?

larry5332

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I should have been more specific in my first post. I did not start this thread to find out about AT&T service, I know it does not work for me. I am doing my home work in finding out about Verizon customer's experience with a new piece of hardware on the system I already use. Thanks for the many useful replies folks.

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
The downloading of apps is WAAAAAY faster on the ATT iPhone. My friend and I have iPhone 4's one on ATT and one on Verizon- and the only thing he complains about are slow data- especially when downloading apps and watching stuff with Netflix.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with my Verizon iPhone, i would recommend it to anyone. Reception is the same as my other phones, and as far as any other phone on Verizon, it wrecks them all. As far as the VIP to the AT&T iPhone, there have been a million and a half videos, comparisons, and stuff like that about the two. As far as call quality and reliability, especially since you travel, Verizon is the better bet, but as far as download, upload, and data speeds, AT&T is technically faster, but not by a whole lot, so it's really no big deal. The only main difference is that the AT&T iPhone, you can talk on the phone and surf the web, which you cannot do on the Verizon iPhone.

cellphonejedi

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My only complaint is battery life. Other than this issue? My ViP performs beautifully. Though I am spending a bit more money in the App Store and iTunes. But thats my fault...lol

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
K, went to an Apple store and did some research. AT&T iPhones speedtest at about 800kbps avg. ViPhones get 1.1mbps. I have some family in the area who met up with me and we did some dropped call diagnostics thanks to a very nice Apple store employee who checked a bunch of our iPhones. AT&T iPhones drop around %4-8 of their calls while ViPhones drop zero.

AT&T does not try very hard in Colorado at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jon Seals

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
K, went to an Apple store and did some research. AT&T iPhones speedtest at about 800kbps avg. ViPhones get 1.1mbps. I have some family in the area who met up with me and we did some dropped call diagnostics thanks to a very nice Apple store employee who checked a bunch of our iPhones. AT&T iPhones drop around %4-8 of their calls while ViPhones drop zero.

AT&T does not try very hard in Colorado at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why people say that a lot of which iPhone is better for you, comes down to where you live.

If I lived in an area where AT&T service sucked, I'd have a Verizon iPhone too. With or without the iOS 4.3 issue and the other iPhone features, simultaneous voice and data over 3G, true conference calling, etc., not found on the CDMA version.

I don't live in such an area, so I have an AT&T iPhone.

"..But for now, if I?m going to drop just as many calls on Verizon?s network as I do with AT&T, there?s just no reason to give up all of the other perks AT&T?s iPhone 4 affords..."

I'd agree with that.

Last edited:

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I think you know what phone to get! ;)

Since you are a big rig driver and I assume you travel all over the place, therefore reception is probably your biggest concern and you like Apple products, so go with the ViP. The ViP has about the same reception as my other Verizon phones I've had (blackberry Curve, Motorola e815, Audiovox 8900) and the call quality is on par, if not better than my Curve and e815.

BTW, Please do not Text and drive your big rig! :D

no texting and driving... email is a different story lolol.

easyrun99

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's where I stand...I had and AT&T phone from July 2008 to January 2011. And my relatively rural location still doesn't have 3G service. AT&T has 3G where I work, but not where I live. VZW has 3G where I live and work. Having had both, AT&T is faster, but their EDGE is not. Add in two multiple-mile coverage gaps on my commute...

Additionally, during large population events (football games, etc). I rarely had service availability while others never had said issue with VZW...for me it was an easy call...

lmac4cy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
My service has been great. I live in Central Iowa and the voice signal is great and even the data seems fast. I guess I have not seen any other data on any other network to give it a proper review but whenever I am on 3G it seems really quick loading web pages and updating different things that I have.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've always been okay with BGR. Even though it has always been obvious that he's an
Apple fanboy. I, for one, think he did some excellent reporting on the Verizon iPhone
and credit him for that. I just find it odd that he's dedicated a blog post all of a sudden
to 4.2.6 not auto-correcting att to AT&T. And then his blog on why he would rather use
ATT. But who knows why....

Now having had ATT for about 3 years and having used 3 iPhones and now the Verizon
one, the difference in coverage is better (for me) on Verizon. But when I had good coverage
on ATT, the speed was wayyy better. I know I'm stating the obvious here. But as it's already
been mentioned, you need to figure this out for yourself instead of basing your decision on
what someone in another state thinks.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox