Is Apple behind the curve now with technology?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how iPhone is outdated. Dual core phones didn't come out until 2011. The software has had many upgrades since 2007 (push, multitasking, copy & paste) just to name a few. This almost seems like a troll post.

You may be right... but if you think this thread is troll bait, don't go here!

Turbo_lemon

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Now I've been a happy Apple owner of Iphone and Ipod for years now. Ipod before I got my 1st Iphone in 2008. Seems with whats available or been available there getting behind.

Now Iphone 4 528 ram, 1ghz processor is good but not best. All the major manufacturers will have thrown out 4g capable phones and dual core processors or 1.2 ghz processors and 1ghz ram before Apple gets to that point.

Yes Apples screen resolution rocks and so does its ease of use. But Apple is basically on a 4 year old phone with a supercharger. In simplest terms. The Iphone4 is basically a 2007 iphone with nitrous or a supercharger added to an original engine to kinda give an analogy.

Another thing. For some reason Apple hasn't gotten to a 4inch or a 4.3inch phone yet. This is what the world wants. Yes some people will say there little 3.5 screen is perfect. But not for most people. Or Motorola, HTC, etc wouldn't be pumping a million of these 4.3 droid phones all over the place, lol.

The public has basically wanted a ui overhaul and a bigger screen.

Apple does slaughter the manufacturers in sales yes but they can be so much better. If motorola can kinda come back from the dead and make 50 pretty cool phones. Apple can make 1 or 2 or even 3 to for size reasons. But not even that. Get with the times and not live in 2008 and make a 4 to 4.3 screen phone with a new ui and a dual core processor, 1 ghz ram or whatever is the current technology and not wait til every manufacturer has been there and done that and working on the newer faster routes.

Because everyone knows the Iphone 5 will be a 1ghz dual-core, 1ghz ram and maybe improved graphics not sure. But this will be a close to a year old technology by the time that comes.

So anybody else with me on this. I don't mean our frustrations of being nazi like. But to use the technology at hand to make the best phone they are capable of. Not the best phone they can get by with.

I like that quote

You must have never used a Blackberry phone then hey? You think Apple is behind look at the specs of those pathetic devices. You have such limited space for apps that its always a compromise between having a phone that runs smooth and works or has apps that make it fun to use cant have both! I think Apple may have less on paper specs then some of the competition but the way that they utilize what they have is far superior. Who cares if you have a 500 HP V8 if a 300 HP 4 cylinder can beat it?? That is reality the Iphone can keep up with or beat all of these newer devices so why does it matter what the specs are if it works and does what it says it will do then for my money thats all that matters.

And to clear the air on the car racing analogy I traded my mint condition fully bolted and tuned 2005 Mustang GT in on my 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo and with less than $2000 in parts the Cobalt will absolutely destroy the Mustang as well as the new Camaro, Challenger SRT and several other super bad high HP V8's the difference is the Cobalt also gets 35MPG if driven nice and is cheaper to insure and can be driven year round kinda like the Iphone maybe its not the leader on paper but in the real world it just works and will outrun most if not all the competition even with less.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It's funny that someone is asking Apple to bump the specs on the phone and iPad to match competitors. Did you see the price of the Xoom? $800, the price is proportionate to what is in the device. So when you're asking for dual processors, 4" screens and redesigned UI now that translates to a more expensive phone. Just think there are Apple laptops(Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air) but why do more of the market buy the Windows laptops? not specs because they are basically on par or close to it, not quality because then Apple would be winning and Dell, HP and a bunch of other plastic laptops wouldn't. It's price, you can get so many Windows based laptops for 1/2 of what an MBP costs. The size of the screen I don't think people have to have it, sure it would be nice but only if the current design and weight stay because that is what most people like. If the screen was the case there wouldn't be people still buying a first gen iPhone. The hardware is 3 years old! but the experience is quite similar albeit dated. The problem with the specs that you are talking about is that is the reason there are a bajillion android phones launched every week. If you want to make a car analogy the iPhone is a Toyota Supra it costs less than the exotics with less cylinders but if you tune it right it will outrun any Ferrari.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
As others have said, when you compare dual core processors and more than 512 RAM on "newer phones", these phone have either just came out or are coming out this year. The iPhone 4 was released in June of 2010 or 9 MONTHS AGO. Comparing any resent phone to the iPhone is just plain silly. What's even more silly is that on pure specs there are only a few phones that actually beat the 9 month old iPhone.

What's happening is that everyone else has to wait for Apple to set alevel of excellence and then in 6-9 months they all release newer and better phones only to have them trumped again by Apple in June during WWDC.

golfnut

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If the iphone is behind, then who's ahead?? Sure, android can have all those bells and whistles..but at what cost? How bout the cost of a smooth running well oiled machine.
If it's behind, cool..I like being behind curves..

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Although I agree with you 100% , Apple's bottom line is user experience. Apple never discloses how much ram their mobile devices have, thats what we end up finding out after tearing downs.

They don't want their users to worry about the specs, just how well it performs. I think if they put their numbers out there, people may compare their devices with others just based on numbers and not the experience. Other things come in to play when it comes to performance like the OS and other hardware parts.

If geeks want to buy a phone for it's dual core snapdragon blah blah blah then they're going to. However, most consumers don't really know much about the technical components and what it means for the overall performance.

Apple will continue to bump their specs, it wont be in amazing numbers however it will still perform well based on other factors like the OS and other components.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Apple will continue to bump their specs, it wont be in amazing numbers however it will still perform well based on other factors like the OS and other components.

Exactly and they will balance between faster processors and battery life. It seems the other guys just go after specs with no consideration whatsoever to battery life.

qzilver

Sep 2, 2010
www.giantrobot.cz.cc
I don't think they're necessarily behind the curve, I think they want to make the best product they can so they don't want to use technology that maybe not stable or uses a lot of battery. They also focus more on the user interface since its not always about the specs.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So anybody else with me on this.
Not really. Seems like another typical forum armchair analyst rant. "Company X needs to do YYYYYY to remain competitive with company Z" -- generally copying specs or features from Company Z. Been done countless times before for ages on forum sites and this thread is really no different. You can even pop over to the Android forums that I frequent and find the very same threads (with the brands reversed) right now.

Apple's sales figures should speak for themselves. Apple has always been cautious with new tech in their iPhones. I don't see why they wouldn't do the same with 4G. Let the others deal with the initial issues such as terrible battery life. There's far more in assessing products than just spec sheet racing.

Last edited:

Ilovegeorgia

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Now I've been a happy Apple owner of Iphone and Ipod for years now. Ipod before I got my 1st Iphone in 2008. Seems with whats available or been available there getting behind.

Now Iphone 4 528 ram, 1ghz processor is good but not best. All the major manufacturers will have thrown out 4g capable phones and dual core processors or 1.2 ghz processors and 1ghz ram before Apple gets to that point.

hasn't gotten to a 4inch or a 4.3inch phone yet. This is what the world wants. Yes some people will say there little 3.5 screen is perfect. But not for most people. Or Motorola, HTC, etc wouldn't be pumping a million of these 4.3 droid phones all over the place lol.

The public has basically wanted a ui overhaul and a bigger screen.

Apple does slaughter the manufacturers in sales yes but they can be so much better. If motorola can kinda come back from the dead and make 50 pretty cool phones. Apple can make 1 or 2 or even 3 to for size reasons. But not even that. Get with the times and not live in 2008 and make a 4 to 4.3 screen phone with a new ui and a dual core processor, 1 ghz ram or whatever is the current technology and not wait til every manufacturer has been there and done that and working on the newer faster routes.

Because everyone knows the Iphone 5 will be a 1ghz dual-core, 1ghz ram and maybe improved graphics not sure. But this will be a close to a year old technology by the time that comes.

So anybody else with me on this. I don't mean our frustrations of being nazi like. But to use the technology at hand to make the best phone they are capable of. Not the best phone they can get by with.

I like that quote
You're really stupid lol. When the iPhone 4 came out it was above all phones in specs and performance 9 months later and it's still on top. The A5 is the best processor right now miles ahead of everyone and the iPhone 5 will use it better then the iPad does. Also the iPhone has the best screen, camera, design, anda fast processor. Finally specs aren't everything, if they were then the 8mp cameras in all the htc phones would kill the iPhones camera.there is no better combination of specs and software then on the on the iPhone. The only thing apple needs is a new notification system.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
No need to call names.

I don't see my iPhone as behind any other phone on the market. Here are my reasons:

1. The screen is best - nobody will argue against this. 95% of what I do with my phone involves the screen so here, no matter what else, the iPhone wins in 95%.

2. The iPhone works better as a phone than the BB it replaced. The BB (a current model) dropped calls and often didn't make a call where either event with the iPhone is a rarity. I didn't expect the iPHone be a better PHONE than the BB, but it is. Victory - iPhone.

3. Apps. Yeah, major apps are available for Androids but the number of apps is clearly all Apple. While not directly due to iPhone excellence, it adds to the experience. Victory - iPHone.

4. Aesthetics - even the Apple haters have to agree that the look and feel of the iPhone beats all.

5. Battery - I get days from a charge. Talk to a few Android users about convenience. I never have run out of battery. Never. And I"ve never charged in the middle of the day.

Even if the iPhone lost every other compare, it still wins in my book.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It may have the "best screen" but it needs to be larger, or at least a two models. One for those who hate change and want to stick with the baby screen and one who want to grow out of the small and have more room for content and apps.

and with 4G. Come on. 4G is 4G there is no "best" PEople want new tech now, not in 2121.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Until I see battery life decent with 4G, I'm uninterested. In fact, I am only guessing 4G battery drain much worse than 3G as I've not read any independent tests, but I sure have heard enough about poor battery life with the larger screened Androids to know I don't want them.

I'm ok with a big screen, but I don't want it. I'm not stuck to tradition, but I am stuck with wanting to fit the thing in my pocket. I also have an iPad which has the big screen in a similar format. I actually prefer reading on the iPhone's smaller hi rez screen than the iPad's much larger lower rez one.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Chris FYI all my pants are skin tight. A bigger phone even if it's thinner would make me scared that I would break it when I move.

Crucial_Xtreme

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Apple definitely isn't behind others with technology. Thunderbolt is a prime example. Apple is doing just fine and the i4 is arguably the best device on the market. As for LTE, it's in it's infancy and Apple is smart not to deal with it for another year. It'll give time for the network to grow & enhance and give time for battery technology to catch up a bit. Nobody wants an iPhone that's dead in 5 hours.

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone not behind in the technology. The phone runs fast, smooth, does everything well and the retina screen is second to none. and the battery holds up. As for the other smartphones, they're all iphone wannabees. It's what all the other phones are measured up against.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR