Is Apple behind the curve now with technology?

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Now I've been a happy Apple owner of Iphone and Ipod for years now. Ipod before I got my 1st Iphone in 2008. Seems with whats available or been available there getting behind.

Now Iphone 4 528 ram, 1ghz processor is good but not best. All the major manufacturers will have thrown out 4g capable phones and dual core processors or 1.2 ghz processors and 1ghz ram before Apple gets to that point.

Yes Apples screen resolution rocks and so does its ease of use. But Apple is basically on a 4 year old phone with a supercharger. In simplest terms. The Iphone4 is basically a 2007 iphone with nitrous or a supercharger added to an original engine to kinda give an analogy.

Another thing. For some reason Apple hasn't gotten to a 4inch or a 4.3inch phone yet. This is what the world wants. Yes some people will say there little 3.5 screen is perfect. But not for most people. Or Motorola, HTC, etc wouldn't be pumping a million of these 4.3 droid phones all over the place, lol.

The public has basically wanted a ui overhaul and a bigger screen.

Apple does slaughter the manufacturers in sales yes but they can be so much better. If motorola can kinda come back from the dead and make 50 pretty cool phones. Apple can make 1 or 2 or even 3 to for size reasons. But not even that. Get with the times and not live in 2008 and make a 4 to 4.3 screen phone with a new ui and a dual core processor, 1 ghz ram or whatever is the current technology and not wait til every manufacturer has been there and done that and working on the newer faster routes.

Because everyone knows the Iphone 5 will be a 1ghz dual-core, 1ghz ram and maybe improved graphics not sure. But this will be a close to a year old technology by the time that comes.

So anybody else with me on this. I don't mean our frustrations of being nazi like. But to use the technology at hand to make the best phone they are capable of. Not the best phone they can get by with.

I like that quote

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Specs are important, but shouldn't be at the top of the list. I think where Apple is now, they're at the sweet spot in terms of hardware capabilities, software, and user experience. There was a blog post here the other day about Apple being able to sell the experience, as opposed to getting into a spec war with the iPad2. They're much the same way with their other products. The sweet spot moves as technology improves, but they always seem to move with it. Are they behind the curve? Nope. I'd say Apple is setting the bar.

Android these days seem to be all about specs and beating the iPhone hardware wise. They are technological showcases and appeal to the inner geek in all of us. But at the same time, most of my friends with Android phones always have their phones plugged in because their batteries do not make it through the day. Not a trade off I'd make.

Of course, there's my beloved Blackberry, who seems to take things to the extreme the other way. Best communication experience bar none, endless battery life, but little else, all on 2 year old hardware.

If you think the "best" smartphone should be judged purely on hardware specifications, then let me as you this: is the best car necessarily the fastest car?

Last edited:

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hmm. 1 ghz of ram? What did you have to drink tonight? Remember, Apple designs and sells, everyone else copies. What do all the smartphones try to be? iPhone killers. What do all the tablets look lime? iPads.

It's not all about specs. Android is nice at times, but laggy. I'll take less power for pure fluidity.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
You're so wrong. Check the benchmarks for the iPad VS the motorola xoom.. Pure specs does not win the speed battle.

What matters more to consumers, .2ghz of extra clock speed? Or 2 hours more battery life? Yeah that's what I thought. Apple makes products that are not only as fast if not faster than the competition, but they also have better battery life.

I really don't see how you think they are so behind in specs. iPhone is released every year in June. Last June was there a single dual-core phone out? No. It's not the specs that make the iPhone a viable option for the entire year, it's the software.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a regurgitation of the "Apple jumped the shark" guy's treatise.

For years I hated Apple's iPhone - called it a toy and deemed it inferior to my beloved BlackBerry... until I used one. Then I bought one. The iPad came out... I deemed it unnecessary and pointless... until I used one. Then I bought one... and so on...

Apple's advantage is the user experience. Despite the arguably marginally inferior specs, Apple sells tons of devices on their name, and on the basis of the user experience. The stuff "just works". Specs come and go, and manufacturers play games of "leap frog" with them, but what really rocks the world of the end user is the experience.

Last edited:

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I always am skeptical when someone says "it's what the world wants". What do you base that on?

Guess what? If the iphone wasn't what people wanted, it would end up flopping. Due to marketing there might be the initial push to buy it but bad reviews would start sprouting like weeds and the returns would start coming in and sales would plummet.

I personally don't know how much bigger a screen that I would want on a phone since I value a relative small size for a phone and bigger screen = bigger phone.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
1.2 Ghz, 4" screen, world capibilites on Verizon and it'll do well. LTE still no all encompasing.

Form a correct and complete sentence please. Thanks!

The iPhone does so well because it truly is a magical experience. When the 5 comes out, the software will remain largly unchanged but the experience will be that much better.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Now I've been a happy Apple owner of Iphone and Ipod for years now. Ipod before I got my 1st Iphone in 2008. Seems with whats available or been available there getting behind.

Now Iphone 4 528 ram, 1ghz processor is good but not best. All the major manufacturers will have thrown out 4g capable phones and dual core processors or 1.2 ghz processors and 1ghz ram before Apple gets to that point.

Yes Apples screen resolution rocks and so does its ease of use. But Apple is basically on a 4 year old phone with a supercharger. In simplest terms. The Iphone4 is basically a 2007 iphone with nitrous or a supercharger added to an original engine to kinda give an analogy.

Another thing. For some reason Apple hasn't gotten to a 4inch or a 4.3inch phone yet. This is what the world wants. Yes some people will say there little 3.5 screen is perfect. But not for most people. Or Motorola, HTC, etc wouldn't be pumping a million of these 4.3 droid phones all over the place, lol.

The public has basically wanted a ui overhaul and a bigger screen.

Apple does slaughter the manufacturers in sales yes but they can be so much better. If motorola can kinda come back from the dead and make 50 pretty cool phones. Apple can make 1 or 2 or even 3 to for size reasons. But not even that. Get with the times and not live in 2008 and make a 4 to 4.3 screen phone with a new ui and a dual core processor, 1 ghz ram or whatever is the current technology and not wait til every manufacturer has been there and done that and working on the newer faster routes.

Because everyone knows the Iphone 5 will be a 1ghz dual-core, 1ghz ram and maybe improved graphics not sure. But this will be a close to a year old technology by the time that comes.

So anybody else with me on this. I don't mean our frustrations of being nazi like. But to use the technology at hand to make the best phone they are capable of. Not the best phone they can get by with.

I like that quote

When I look at the Droid X all I see is a suped up G1 with a faster processor, more RAM, bigger screen, and more memory. I don't see the difference...

If a bigger screen is "what the world wants" then why are people still buying the iPhone with a 3.5" screen? Wouldn't they all be running to the 4.0"+ screens out there? That doesn't seem to be happening as even Android phones with smaller screens are selling well.

My iPhone 4 is not the same phone my original iPhone was in 2007.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My son has a Droid X and has complained several times that it's TOO BIG. He is looking seriously at the iPhone - but waiting to see what the iPhone5 looks like before switching...

jim1969

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Form a correct and complete sentence please. Thanks!

The iPhone does so well because it truly is a magical experience. When the 5 comes out, the software will remain largly unchanged but the experience will be that much better.

Sorry for mistyping no instead of not. I'm sure you figured that out yourself since you seem to be a genius. "Magical"? How quaint.
They'd better improve the software. The notification features aren't as good as my BB 8330. Push mail (or at least better fetching of mail) would be a welcomed improvement. Hardware wise, some notification light would go along way towards converting some BB users.
BTW, LARGELY. not largly.

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for mistyping no instead of not. I'm sure you figured that out yourself since you seem to be a genius. "Magical"? How quaint.
They'd better improve the software. The notification features aren't as good as my BB 8330. Push mail (or at least better fetching of mail) would be a welcomed improvement. Hardware wise, some notification light would go along way towards converting some BB users.

With an exchange server you essentially do have Push mail - I had a blackberry and my ipad with the same email and often the ipad got the email before my blackberry did.

I don't think the software on the iphone is inferior at all. I much prefer the software on the iphone. The BB has a pretty extreme amount of bloat in their settings and menus and could use a severe redesign in user experience.

Notifications may be better in BB - but frankly, I don't miss the light and I don't want it back at all.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

The iPhone does have push email.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Notifications may be better in BB - but frankly, I don't miss the light and I don't want it back at all.

I agree 100%. There are some great JB apps that address the notification issue, but I do not ever want to see a flashing LED on my iPhone. Period.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Then why are there "fetch" settings with different time intervals?

So that you can set it to fetch if you want an IMAP or POP3 account to fetch at regular intervals instead of manual loading when you open the app. IMAP and POP3 does not push. Or if you disable push on an Exchange account and want fetch instead.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Apple innovates everything and other companies *like Androids* copy and try to 1-Up them with small little tweaks to make their phones seem a bit better.

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how iPhone is outdated. Dual core phones didn't come out until 2011. The software has had many upgrades since 2007 (push, multitasking, copy & paste) just to name a few. This almost seems like a troll post.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro