Well it was fun

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I think you gave it a fair shake, however...I, being one who likes to customize like you, believe that if you had taken about 5 minutes and JB, you would have kept it. I had the 3GS back when it came out in 09. Then in the late fall of that year when Moto unleashed the first Droid, I was fairly impressed with how you could customize it and whatnot...but in the end I missed the iPhone, not the network. So when I got the Iphone upon release, I decided I would JB it. Its like night and day. So, if you ever decide to do the iPhone again, JB it. Then I think you will be satisfied.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't bash at all.
A device either works for you or not, I won't be involved with a hate fest.

For me in no particular order it was screen size, widgets, swype, expandable memory, the ability to make any song in my phone a ring tone. And I missed my notifications something awful.

And I may very well have been able to achieve some of these through jail break, but I wasn't looking to do that. I rooted my DX only because I wanted to, not to get it to do the things I wanted.

Again im not talking bad about one or saying ones better. Just one works better for me.

So I hope that answers some of the questions you may have. But if you have any other please ask.

Cheers

H

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Oh I never wanted you to say anything bad about it, just the negatives that you, the Droid X user saw. Those are many of the issues that I saw with it. The notifications being my number one problem. Then Widgets. Simple things like Weatherbug not showing me the temp without opening it up bothers me. I do like the iPod capabilities of the iPhone, I've been all iTunes for years, so that part is nice. And the thing just looks great, and from what I hear, no lag, random reboots, etc. So a lot of that has got me thinking. But the utter lack of customization without jailbreaking is a problem. I'm like you, I rooted just for fun, not because I had to to male it work. I also don't like the extra steps just to turn Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc., off.

I really appreciate the input. I'm almost thinking I need to wait to see what IP5 has to offer if it's coming to VZW this summer. With better notifications, a slightly bigger screen, and some minor Widgets and I'm sold!

beckywc

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I didn't warm up to my iphone4 either until i jailbroke it, before that I felt restricted. Or is it confined? Anyway I'm loving it now.

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't warm up to my iphone4 either until i jailbroke it, before that I felt restricted. Or is it confined? Anyway I'm loving it now.

And that's what I've heard, however I didn't want to do that just to get an Android "like" experience. This just works for me.

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think you gave it a fair shake, however...I, being one who likes to customize like you, believe that if you had taken about 5 minutes and JB, you would have kept it. I had the 3GS back when it came out in 09. Then in the late fall of that year when Moto unleashed the first Droid, I was fairly impressed with how you could customize it and whatnot...but in the end I missed the iPhone, not the network. So when I got the Iphone upon release, I decided I would JB it. Its like night and day. So, if you ever decide to do the iPhone again, JB it. Then I think you will be satisfied.

I truly did consider it, in the end my DX did it all already. We are JB my gf's ip4 this weekend. So wish us luck. We've never done it before, but I'm told its fairly painless.

Cheers

H

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I can almost dial *228 and program any device I want to switch to faster than I could swap SIM cards (I was and AT&T customer for at least 10 years) and no, you aren't limited on how many you can do per month. One plus to not having to swap SIM cards - I broke one once when I was swapping phones because it was hard to remove it lol

I remember when I had Verizon a few years ago that I was limited to 3 times
a month. So it's changed? Plus another thing is that on AT&T I was just
switching mostly between iPhone and a BB. All while on the BB plan. In order to
do it on Verizon I literally have to call and have them switch me to the correct
data plan if I want to use my BB for a few days. That's what I find a pain. Sim
cards are just so much easier.

trjnberry

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
And that's what I've heard, however I didn't want to do that just to get an Android "like" experience. This just works for me.

Pardon me, but I get this impression that the real reason you never jailbroke your device is because you never intended to keep it. It didn't make sense to me that somebody who has rooted every Android phone they've used, would be hesitant to jailbreak the iPhone. The only complaint that you had that couldn't be fixed with a jailbreak was the size of the screen. You wouldn't want to jailbreak a phone you intend to return.

I took interest in your posts because I am very interested in the HTC Thunderbolt and the nearest sized phone was the Droid X, your old phone. Like the commerical ad says, "It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that." Well, my dream phone is an iPhone. And the Thunderbolt does come after the iPhone, with 4G speeds! :D Altthough, I can get into a Droid X for a whole lot cheaper than a TB. So, I have been spending time checking out both the Droid X and iPhone. The noticable difference between the two is the size of the screen and the fact that you can watch TV shows from network web sites in your stock browser, which you can't do on an iPhone.

With a HTC Thunderbolt, I can replace cable and high speed internet with the 4G speeds. I have LTE in my area. Figuring that Verizon has already said they will be going to tiered data plan pricing at some point in 2011, would I still be intereted in a 4G device if I kept my cable and high speed internet? With the Thunderbolt running at least $265 out the door, with NE2 and minimum tax applied, versus a Droid X for $153 out the door, likewise.. Is 4G worth the extra $112? (In my area, sales tax is 9.5% minimum, and Verizon will add the tax based on the retail price of the phone. ) Decisions, decisions...:confused:

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Pardon me, but I get this impression that the real reason you never jailbroke your device is because you never intended to keep it. It didn't make sense to me that somebody who has rooted every Android phone they've used, would be hesitant to jailbreak the iPhone. The only complaint that you had that couldn't be fixed with a jailbreak was the size of the screen. You wouldn't want to jailbreak a phone you intend to return.

I took interest in your posts because I am very interested in the HTC Thunderbolt and the nearest sized phone was the Droid X, your old phone. Like the commerical ad says, "It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that." Well, my dream phone is an iPhone. And the Thunderbolt does come after the iPhone, with 4G speeds! :D Altthough, I can get into a Droid X for a whole lot cheaper than a TB. So, I have been spending time checking out both the Droid X and iPhone. The noticable difference between the two is the size of the screen and the fact that you can watch TV shows from network web sites in your stock browser, which you can't do on an iPhone.

With a HTC Thunderbolt, I can replace cable and high speed internet with the 4G speeds. I have LTE in my area. Figuring that Verizon has already said they will be going to tiered data plan pricing at some point in 2011, would I still be intereted in a 4G device if I kept my cable and high speed internet? With the Thunderbolt running at least $265 out the door, with NE2 and minimum tax applied, versus a Droid X for $153 out the door, likewise.. Is 4G worth the extra $112? (In my area, sales tax is 9.5% minimum, and Verizon will add the tax based on the retail price of the phone. ) Decisions, decisions...:confused:

Good theory on my lack of jb. But I have no intention of returning it. I'm past the time Anyway. I gave it to my niece, who promptly jb it.

As I've said i did not root my droids to make them do what I wanted but to experiment and play. Not wanting to do that anymore I opted for the ip4, unaware (my own fault) of the phones limitations out of the box..

Other wise its a marvellous piece of technology, and was quite beautiful. But ultimately not for me?
I am sorry if this offended you in some bizarre way.

And I've no interest in the TB.

Cheers

H

JasonR02

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I'm within my 14 days and I'm tempted by the Thunderbolt coming out tomorrow. I came from a Droid Eris and loved Android. I really like the iPhone though and the T-bolt won't have Skype or Netflix on it. Plus I'm still skeptical about its battery life. So I'll probably be sticking with my iPhone despite the lure of 4G. I love how smooth iOS runs and the ridiculous amount of apps makes me happy.

I do want to say how nice everyone is in this thread though. In the Android forums if someone were to say they were leaving a Droid phone to go back to their iPhone it would quickly turn into a very rude thread.

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, I'm within my 14 days and I'm tempted by the Thunderbolt coming out tomorrow. I came from a Droid Eris and loved Android. I really like the iPhone though and the T-bolt won't have Skype or Netflix on it. Plus I'm still skeptical about its battery life. So I'll probably be sticking with my iPhone despite the lure of 4G. I love how smooth iOS runs and the ridiculous amount of apps makes me happy.

I do want to say how nice everyone is in this thread though. In the Android forums if someone were to say they were leaving a Droid phone to go back to their iPhone it would quickly turn into a very rude thread.

I have found snippy people all over, but so far everyone here has just been great :D. If battery life and ease of interface is your concern, i would wholeheartedly recommend staying with the ip4. It is indeed a fabulous phone.

The apps never bothered me as i found the the 100.000 plus on android market covered all me needs. As did the App store.

golfnut

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well this is bout as long a goodbye as I've ever seen..lol Hope you come around when you can...OR let me swipe your smokin avatar so we all can see ya when we want! jk..kinda..haha

trjnberry

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

I hear you. I expected to get killed for suggesting Heather never had any intention of keeping phone. On Crackberry, someone would have mouthed off. There would've been a battle. Us BB users love communication, after all! :)

trjnberry

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Good theory on my lack of jb. But I have no intention of returning it. I'm past the time Anyway. I gave it to my niece, who promptly jb it.

As I've said i did not root my droids to make them do what I wanted but to experiment and play. Not wanting to do that anymore I opted for the ip4, unaware (my own fault) of the phones limitations out of the box..

Other wise its a marvellous piece of technology, and was quite beautiful. But ultimately not for me?
I am sorry if this offended you in some bizarre way.

And I've no interest in the TB.

Cheers

H

I think what I was trying to say is that sometimes we try stuff out and give up too early on the change because we're used to what we had before. I am a noobie on TipB, but I am near CrackBerry Addict status on Crackberry, so I am used to reading about the platform tryouts and homecomings that often happen when people change platforms without realizing what they are giving up. BlackBerry users are often tempted by the multimedia offerings of Android or iPhone, but often they quickly realize they can't live without the color LED light and/or keyboard. I wasn't offended by your position, I was just taking a wild guess at what would make sense for why you didn't want to jailbreak.

The thing that gives me pause, Heather, is people here who have the Droid X or even the HTC Droid Incredible and are happy that they gave it up for their iPhone. It suggests that the Android is inferior to the iPhone. Then you come along and say you're giving up the iPhone to return to the Droid X. I am just trying to figure out if your reasons for returning the device are comparable to my reasons for choosing Android over iPhone. I think there may be others who are asking the same thing.

As for the Thunderbolt, I think 4G speed is what is driving the demand for that phone. Cable internet speeds on a cell phone? Ouch! The pre-installed 32 GB memory card with 8 GB on-board may be helping demand, too. That stupid ATT ad about same time voice and data may have people passing on the iPhone to go with the TB, too. But read the Android Central forums and there are plenty of users that think the HTC Thunderbolt is a pass. I like it because I like HTC Sense more than the other UI's of the Android system. I was looking at the Droid X because it is way cheaper than the 4G device, but I don't care for the UI. I figured you wouldn't want the TB because of the Sense UI, as you like the Droid UI (I think it's Moto Blur, but I don't know enough about Android to be certain.) To each his / her own. :)

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think what I was trying to say is that sometimes we try stuff out and give up too early on the change because we're used to what we had before. I am a noobie on TipB, but I am near CrackBerry Addict status on Crackberry, so I am used to reading about the platform tryouts and homecomings that often happen when people change platforms without realizing what they are giving up. BlackBerry users are often tempted by the multimedia offerings of Android or iPhone, but often they quickly realize they can't live without the color LED light and/or keyboard. I wasn't offended by your position, I was just taking a wild guess at what would make sense for why you didn't want to jailbreak.

The thing that gives me pause, Heather, is people here who have the Droid X or even the HTC Droid Incredible and are happy that they gave it up for their iPhone. It suggests that the Android is inferior to the iPhone. Then you come along and say you're giving up the iPhone to return to the Droid X. I am just trying to figure out if your reasons for returning the device are comparable to my reasons for choosing Android over iPhone. I think there may be others who are asking the same thing.

As for the Thunderbolt, I think 4G speed is what is driving the demand for that phone. Cable internet speeds on a cell phone? Ouch! The pre-installed 32 GB memory card with 8 GB on-board may be helping demand, too. That stupid ATT ad about same time voice and data may have people passing on the iPhone to go with the TB, too. But read the Android Central forums and there are plenty of users that think the HTC Thunderbolt is a pass. I like it because I like HTC Sense more than the other UI's of the Android system. I was looking at the Droid X because it is way cheaper than the 4G device, but I don't care for the UI. I figured you wouldn't want the TB because of the Sense UI, as you like the Droid UI (I think it's Moto Blur, but I don't know enough about Android to be certain.) To each his / her own. :)

I cant stand stock UI's (moto-blur, sense etc) First thing i did was to install ADW EX.

And i don't think just because some users made the switch from any one format to another means one is inferior or superior. Just works better for THAT individual is all.

I wanted a device that i didn't NEED to modify to make it do what i needed it to do. The X offers me that. (again i rooted for pleasure not out of necessity)
I didn't want to have to do that to a new phone. So i switched back and made me and a young teen quite happy all in one fell swoop.:D

So if you decide to save yourself a few pounds and go for the X, may i strongly suggest that you get ADW EX.

H