WIFI Question

moomps

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am fairly new to the IPhone and have a question. I have a wifi setup at home so I leave my phone set to WIFI on when I'm there. My question is - do most people leave WIFI on all the time at let the phone find what ever session it can? Do you let it just connect without asking? Is this the best way to use available WIFI connections? Thanks for your input

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I leave mine all the time, but disable the option to ask to join networks. If I need to go somewhere that my job blocks, then I turn it off.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I leave mine on, for the most, as well. I have my work, home and mobile hotspots saved and it will connect to those automatically. I do however turn off WiFi if I am not going to be using any of those networks for extended periods to save on battery power.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I leave it on all the time. I still usually have 50% or more battery left when I get home at the end of the day, despite being asked if I want to join the network all day long at school - where I won't put my iPhone on the network cause they block too many websites!

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I leave it on all the time. I still usually have 50% or more battery left when I get home at the end of the day, despite being asked if I want to join the network all day long at school - where I won't put my iPhone on the network cause they block too many websites!

Why not turn off "ask to join networks"?

As for me, wifi is on all the time, ask to join networks is off. That way I get wifi speed at home, leave and automatically switch to 3G and automatically switch back when I am in range of my home again. :D

miro

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I do the same, it make the most sense for me. Iphone catches all my approved networks and ignores the ones I have not accepted. If i need wifi and want to look for it, i go to settings and find it. For some reason though, when I am near or in a Starbucks or McDonalds, the browser opens up and asks me if I want to connect. Very annoying. I cant figure out how to stop the pop up.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I do the same, it make the most sense for me. Iphone catches all my approved networks and ignores the ones I have not accepted. If i need wifi and want to look for it, i go to settings and find it. For some reason though, when I am near or in a Starbucks or McDonalds, the browser opens up and asks me if I want to connect. Very annoying. I cant figure out how to stop the pop up.

Have you turned off "ask to join networks"?

CalifJewls

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time, last thing I want to do is to visit my settings every time I run an errand, come home, etc..

dixie dregs

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I Turn Mine Off

When I get in my car because it interfers with the bluetooth activation for my hands free. When I turn off wifi the phone is immediatley recognized.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I leave mine on all the time and have set to auto join networks turned off so it doesn't keep searching all the time and only joins network I tell it too join. There is WiFi just about in every building I go in these days so why not always use it?

yanks19

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
like most here, i leave wifi on just about all the time. have a couple of trusted networks that i auto-join and have turned off 'ask to join networks'... for those rare times i need to turn off wifi, there's an SBSettings toggle for that... :)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I ONLY use wifi for facetime or if I'm downloading a big app. Wifi has proven to shorten standby battery time. Its doesnt shorten it much but I like to maximize every bit

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I use SBSsettings to quickly turn off WiFi and turn on WiFi. I turn it off when I leave work and my home to conserve battery power. For me, I notice I save a bit of standby battery juice if I turn it off.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I leave it on all the time. I work from home... so I almost always am in a wifi area... also several other places I frequent have wifi... battery is good if I can get through the day... and that has not been a problem so far (aside from one stupid anomaly which was self-inflicted).

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I leave it on all the time, don't think its a big deal and should try turning it off one day to see if there is any impact on battery life but I dont have an issue with battery life

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget too that after 30 seconds of the phone sleeping that it automatically switches over to 3G to save battery. It goes back over to WiFi when you wake it up.

radyoactive

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed this on my wife's iphone. How does the phone receive facetime calls if the phone is in 3G? I tried facetiming from my ipad after the phones sleeps and it does not connect.

Kind of defeats the purpose of leaving on wifi and waiting for a FT call.

Is there a way around this?

Don't forget too that after 30 seconds of the phone sleeping that it automatically switches over to 3G to save battery. It goes back over to WiFi when you wake it up.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW