I have been trying to call my daughter using FaceTime. I'm on an iPhone4, she's on an iPod Touch. If she calls my phone, we are able to make a FaceTime connection without issue. But if I try to "call" her, the call never goes through - I either get some AT&T message that the call did not go through; or I get prompted to send her an email.

What do I need to do to be able to originate a FaceTime call from my iPhone4 to a non-phone (Mac, iPad or iPod)? I find the documentation very lacking...
    03-15-2011 01:59 AM
    Hank, I presume since she can call you, she has set up her Facetime with her email. My step son has the iPod Touch 4G. I have him in my contacts list on my iPhone 4. I go to his name in my contact list and I have his number and his email programmed in under his name. I scroll down after I select him in my contact list and toward the bottom I tap on the Facetime icon. Once I do that, I am presented with the choice of using his number or email address, and I choose his email and the call goes through to his iPod Touch. This should solve your issue.
    03-15-2011 02:54 AM
    I discovered the same thing as Icyhot. In order to call an iPT, you have to set it up in your contacts.
    03-15-2011 07:01 AM
    Thanks for the responses, icy and Alli...

Sorry, I wasn't clear with my question. I am able to do that, but I'd like to see her FaceTime connection in my "favorites". Since I am JB and am running Lockinfo, I am trying to get her FT link on my lock screen with the other "phone" contacts under Favorites.
    03-15-2011 10:08 AM
    You may not be able to do that without also assigning a phone number to her - even if it's a fake and you don't plan to use it.
    03-15-2011 10:30 AM
    I saw your post and tried it. And it did not work. For some reason it looks like if you have a contact with only an email address and try to facetime them via their email address. Lockinfo is dropping the "@" and the "." from the email address when it dials and that is why it's not working. I just emailed the dev. He usually responds within minutes. I'll let you know what he says.
    03-15-2011 11:03 AM
    I saw your post and tried it. And it did not work. For some reason it looks like if you have a contact with only an email address and try to facetime them via their email address. Lockinfo is dropping the "@" and the "." from the email address when it dials and that is why it's not working. I just emailed the dev. He usually responds within minutes. I'll let you know what he says.
    Yeah, I noticed it dropping all not alpha/numeric characters...
    03-15-2011 12:02 PM
    Bitesms also has a FaceTime button now; have you tried that one?
    03-15-2011 12:22 PM
    Bitesms also has a FaceTime button now; have you tried that one?
    I saw that... but it doesn't help me get my FaceTime-only link on the LockInfo Favorites plugin... but if all else fails...
    03-15-2011 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD