Week Calendar

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Holy toledo! I have been using Week Calendar (on app store) since I got my iPhone 1 month ago. I was a Palm OS guy, and depended totally on the calendar. Losing Palm OS was very sad for me. The best app on Palm OS was a program called Datebk6. It was a terrific calendar and PIM. Best of all for me was the event templating. Nothing was better. Now, along comes Week Calendar, and their latest release, 3.0. This has the templating along with storing the starting date. It is just amazing. I no longer miss my Palm calendar. Furthermore, it syncs immediately to Google Calendar via exchange server, which is an advantage over the old Palm OS system. I just can't tell you how delighted I am with this app. And all of it for $1.99. I would have paid $30 to have a usable calendar. So, for those of you looking for something like Datebk6, this is the one. Just amazing.

And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way. I think they are based in Iceland! Every email I have sent them has been replied to within a few hours. Just terrific.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Holy toledo! I have been using Week Calendar (on app store) since I got my iPhone 1 month ago. I was a Palm OS guy, and depended totally on the calendar. Losing Palm OS was very sad for me. The best app on Palm OS was a program called Datebk6. It was a terrific calendar and PIM. Best of all for me was the event templating. Nothing was better. Now, along comes Week Calendar, and their latest release, 3.0. This has the templating along with storing the starting date. It is just amazing. I no longer miss my Palm calendar. Furthermore, it syncs immediately to Google Calendar via exchange server, which is an advantage over the old Palm OS system. I just can't tell you how delighted I am with this app. And all of it for $1.99. I would have paid $30 to have a usable calendar. So, for those of you looking for something like Datebk6, this is the one. Just amazing.

And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way. I think they are based in Iceland! Every email I have sent them has been replied to within a few hours. Just terrific.

The iPhone calendar is almost perfect for me! One of the things it's missing is a week view!

Couple questions:

Can you set alerts directly through this app? I came from a BlackBerry and miss the "Reminder at 0 minutes" option.
Do you open this app instead of the standard calendar?

Thanks!

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone calendar is almost perfect for me! One of the things it's missing is a week view!

Couple questions:

Can you set alerts directly through this app? I came from a BlackBerry and miss the "Reminder at 0 minutes" option.
Do you open this app instead of the standard calendar?

Thanks!

Yes! It is amazing what you can do. I use this instead of the standard calendar. I moved it to the home screen at the bottom in place of the standard app. You never need to open the standard app again. Furthermore, it reads and writes to the regular calendar database, so there is no confusion for iOS. Syncing is immediate. Just terrific. You have to go through some of the settings to see what they do. The developers have a nice website with terrific FAQ's, and answer questions by email.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
A better calendar replacement is CalenGoo. While nothing will replace Agendus on Palm, this comes as close as anything.

Asunners

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh, Agendus and DateBk (I started on 4) ... Brings back some many happy memories. :)

Do either or both of Week Calendar or CalenGoo support invites sent via Exchange (Google or otherwise)?

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
CalenGoo does.

I do not know if Week Calendar supports this, as I do not use that feature. It does allow for sharing by sending .ics files to recipients. I don't know if that is what you mean.

Does CalenGoo have appointment templates? That is the key feature for me.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I actually own Week Calendar, as well. Currently, it is relegated to a secondary folder off the first page, whereas CalenGoo is down on the dock, visible from everywhere.

The big problem I'm having with Week Calendar is it doesn't play nicely with Google Apps accounts, so it doesn't pick up all my subscribed calendars.

As to appointment templates, I don't believe so, but it's not a feature I would use. Appointments are appointments, non?

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I need a list of a few calender apps to view so i can see what is best. can't find a good one

Well, from the title of my post, Week Calendar is a great choice. There is also CalenGoo, which looks to be good, but requires google calendar. I happen to use google calendar, so it would work. Calvetica also looks interesting. Pocket Informant is a calendar and task manager. They will release a much better version in April, I believe.

For my purposes Week Calendar does it all. Templates, beautiful native integration, looks like iCal but much better, custom colors, tremendous flexibility, and works like a native iOS app. Just great. All for $1.99. I would have paid $30 for it!

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I actually own Week Calendar, as well. Currently, it is relegated to a secondary folder off the first page, whereas CalenGoo is down on the dock, visible from everywhere.

The big problem I'm having with Week Calendar is it doesn't play nicely with Google Apps accounts, so it doesn't pick up all my subscribed calendars.

As to appointment templates, I don't believe so, but it's not a feature I would use. Appointments are appointments, non?

Really? It picks up all of mine just fine. I have about 6, and some are just read only. Perhaps you should try again. If you follow the instructions on their FAQ, it pulls them all in no problem. Furthermore, I subscribe to the US holidays calendar, and it pulls that in too. If you have a problem their tech support is terrific.

Does Calengoo have templates? That is the most important feature to me.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've been in touch with their tech support. They don't seem to know how to deal with Google Apps accounts. Hopefully they'll work on it. As I stated earlier, I don't see the point in an appointment template. I don't believe Calengoo has them, but I wouldn't say it with 100% certainty.

Ah yes, PocketInformant. Got that, too. And Calvetica. I like Calengoo better.

BTW, you don't need Google calendars for Calengoo. It works with any Exchange client or MobileMe.

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been in touch with their tech support. They don't seem to know how to deal with Google Apps accounts. Hopefully they'll work on it. As I stated earlier, I don't see the point in an appointment template. I don't believe Calengoo has them, but I wouldn't say it with 100% certainty.

Ah yes, PocketInformant. Got that, too. And Calvetica. I like Calengoo better.

BTW, you don't need Google calendars for Calengoo. It works with any Exchange client or MobileMe.

Let me explain the template issue, and why it is so important to me. I am a physician, and each month I have a calendar at the office which tells me where I am. So, I may be in my Santa Rosa office in the morning, and my Rohnert Park office in the afternoon. The next day might be the operating room. The next day the laser center. These appointments recur, but are somewhat random. So, when I go to enter the appointments, I simply tap the template dialog, and one tap puts the appointment in complete with the wording, time, date, color, and in the correct google calendar. Just fantastic. I can enter my whole month of appointments in about 3 minutes. Also, other recurring things, such as haircuts, meetings, etc, I can template and drop in in 2 taps. Just like my old Datebk6 for Palm, only in many ways better. That is why templates are the single most important feature for me. I wouldn't use Calengoo if they do not have them.

doctord23

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have Week Calendar and Google Apps and I see all of the subscribed Account calendars of my colleagues. I sync them using CalDAV. My calendar is synced using exchange. The only subscribed Google calendars it won't let me sync are added calendars such as sports team schedules, US holidays, etc.

dndrich

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have Week Calendar and Google Apps and I see all of the subscribed Account calendars of my colleagues. I sync them using CalDAV. My calendar is synced using exchange. The only subscribed Google calendars it won't let me sync are added calendars such as sports team schedules, US holidays, etc.

The latest version of Week Calendar can do US Holidays directly. It is a new option that they have. The problem with the sports calendars is a Google thing, not a Week Calendar thing.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Heard back from Week Calendar's tech support. They are blaming Google. I don't understand why it works on Calengoo, but not Week Calendar if it's a Google problem.

Oh well. I'm happy with Calengoo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR