Tiny Scratch

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
So I was looking at my iPhone this morning and noticed my screen had a small scratch on it. Does anybody know any ways to get it out, its not to terribly deep but if the light hits it the right way its noticeable and it drives me crazy. This is the first touch screen phone I have had that the screen actually scratched :(

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can gat it out... A scratch is damage that can't be reversed. This is why the store reps highly encourage buyers to get a screen protector. It's the most common damage done to phones :(

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can gat it out... A scratch is damage that can't be reversed. This is why the store reps highly encourage buyers to get a screen protector. It's the most common damage done to phones :(

Ya but of all the touch screen devices with a glass screen I have had none of them have scratched. Hell even my 3 year old iPod Touch that has been thrown around has no scratches on it. This kind of makes me mad.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
what is it exactly that makes you mad?

The fact the screen scratched. The thing has been in a case since the minute I bought it and has never been in a pocket with anything else. Like I have said I have owned alot of other touchscreen devices and none of them got a scratch on the screen. Not sure why this did.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I had my Droid 2 with Gorilla Glass do this. Same scenario too, always in a pocket by itself. Come to find out, every time I tossed it in my pocket it rubbed against the little metal button on my jeans (the one that connects the small pocket to the jeans). Its frustrated the crap outta me but in the end it didn't matter because I got the iPhone 4. I am a firm believer in a screen protector. I have one for everything...EVERYTHING! I would highly recommend one. Its pocket change to replace a screen protector if you buy a bunch off of eBay...not so much to replace the screen of an iPhone 4. Plus, if you install it right, you cant even tell its there. Without one, I guarantee that this scratch will be the first of many.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So I was looking at my iPhone this morning and noticed my screen had a small scratch on it. Does anybody know any ways to get it out, its not to terribly deep but if the light hits it the right way its noticeable and it drives me crazy. This is the first touch screen phone I have had that the screen actually scratched :(

It's glass dude, it scratches and breaks. With the perfect conditions you can get one. I scratched my first 2 iPhones and learned my lesson, my iPhone 4 got an invisible shield out of the box.

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The fact the screen scratched. The thing has been in a case since the minute I bought it and has never been in a pocket with anything else. Like I have said I have owned alot of other touchscreen devices and none of them got a scratch on the screen. Not sure why this did.

As others have said, it happens. There's nothing unique about the iP4 that makes it more scratch-susceptible. I scratched my first gen iPod Touch and I learned my lesson. I bought my iP4 and had the Verizon rep put the screen protector on it (they're actually trained to do it, and I can't even tell it's on my phone unless I look for it).

This is gonna sound harsh, but I'm trying to say it as nicely as I can through typing: it's no one's fault but yours that it's scratched.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Now, if you get a tiny scratch in a watch crystal it can be polished out with fine abrasives. Can anything like that be done with this glass?

Elaine5006

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I bought my iP4 and had the Verizon rep put the screen protector on it (they're actually trained to do it, and I can't even tell it's on my phone unless I look for it).

I do not think all reps are trained to do it. The rep that helped me with my iphone said to me that I would have to put the screen protector on myself.
He did not want to be responsible.

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
It is not that hard to put on a screen protector. I know once I got my iphone 3G, way, way back when, I put one on there right away.

Once I get that 4, OTTERBOX DEFENDER IT IS.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, it happens. There's nothing unique about the iP4 that makes it more scratch-susceptible. I scratched my first gen iPod Touch and I learned my lesson. I bought my iP4 and had the Verizon rep put the screen protector on it (they're actually trained to do it, and I can't even tell it's on my phone unless I look for it).

This is gonna sound harsh, but I'm trying to say it as nicely as I can through typing: it's no one's fault but yours that it's scratched.

I never blamed anybody for scratching it I asked a question: Can I get it out? Like another poster said you can get them out of watched (I have had this done) hence the reason I asked.....

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a small scratch on my old BlackBerry screen and putting a good screen protector on it did "heal" the scratch. I couldn't find it even when I was looking for it!

One other thing, when my watch had a scratch right across the crystal I made a paste of Bartender's Friend and water, and lightly rubbed it in a circular motion on the watch crystal. I then wiped it clean using a damp towel followed by one of those microfiber wipes made for eyeglasses. After that was done the scratch was gone. The final step was to put a polishing/buffing tool on my Dremel to polish the crystal. I don't remember which one I used, but I remember that it was safe to use on watch crystals. To this day I can't see the scratch on my watch. I got those directions from a Web-site about cleaning scratches on watch crystals, but I don't remember the specific Web-site.

I'm not necessarily recommending that for your iPhone---I have no experience with getting a scratch off of an iPhone screen---so take the story "as is."

Whatever you do, good luck. A scratch would make me crazy, which is why I put a screen protector on my iPhone as soon as I got it.

Last edited:

JasonR02

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is why I got the screen protectors and a bumper. I realize the back will eventually get scratched up, but a scratch on the screen would drive me crazy too. Here's hoping the screen protector does its job.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I never blamed anybody for scratching it I asked a question: Can I get it out? Like another poster said you can get them out of watched (I have had this done) hence the reason I asked.....

You can actually get the scratch out kind of like the poster several posts up from this that mentioned getting one out of a watch crystal which is usually made of saphire.

You would have to go to a jewelry store and ask the jewelry repair person to lightly buff it using jewelers red rough and a cotton buffing wheel. They do it all the time and use it for watch crystals as well as to polish gold.

I use it to polish my watch crystal I get scratches on at work all the time. Show them the scratch and they will know how much light pressure to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynx

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
You can actually get the scratch out kind of like the poster several posts up from this that mentioned getting one out of a watch crystal which is usually made of saphire.

You would have to go to a jewelry store and ask the jewelry repair person to lightly buff it using jewelers red rough and a cotton buffing wheel. They do it all the time and use it for watch crystals as well as to polish gold.

I use it to polish my watch crystal I get scrathes on at work all the time. Show them the scratch and they will know how much light pressure to use.

Now that would be something, I wonder how many jewellers are working on gadgets these days.

cp9102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Um, do you have a screen protector on it? If not the THIS is why it did.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods