iOS 4.3 Hotspot w/ATT unlimited Data Plan??

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

I saw that 4.3 went live today, but since I'll likely not be able to upgrade for at least another week or so, I was wondering if anyone who has an AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan could say if they are able to use their iPhone 4 as a hotspot without having to drop their unlimited plan and adding an additional tethering plan.

Please chim in if you can answer this question.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
No you can not. AT&T will force you out of the plan if you choose to do so. Or you can jailbreak and use similar apps to do the same thing basically for free under your unlimited data plan.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Grrrrrr, I'm going to start streaming Gigs of data over 3G so I can rack up unlimited data monthly and truly let them know what unlimited means. I wonder if this could qualify for a class-action lawsuit. I REALLY would prefer not to jailbreak, but the more I see, the more it might appeal to me.

Thanks for the response though.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You might want to be careful with your plan although it says unlimited I beleive they cap it at 5GB:confused: someone confirm this for me?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Grrrrrr, I'm going to start streaming Gigs of data over 3G so I can rack up unlimited data monthly and truly let them know what unlimited means. I wonder if this could qualify for a class-action lawsuit. I REALLY would prefer not to jailbreak, but the more I see, the more it might appeal to me.

why would this qualify for a class action lawsuit? Its their company and they call the shots on how they want hotspot to work. Why waste your time

omgabunny

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I finally gave in and jailbroke my iphone on 4.2.1 just to pick up an app to use wifi tethering since i'm also on the grandfathered unlimited plan. Although I'm sure the 4gb plan would be enough data for me on a regular basis I just can't justify paying an extra $15 for this feature. Otherwise I'm very happy with ATT's service here.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
You might want to be careful with your plan although it says unlimited I beleive they cap it at 5GB:confused: someone confirm this for me?
There's no soft cap on AT&T(since its my carrier thats the one I know about), it's truly unlimited. That 5GB is myth and only for old laptop cards....

How does donwloading gigs of data hurt them? You're paying for it??!?!?! So how does that hurt them. Also, thats the silliest thing, class action lawsuit, for what? Them owning a company and setting prices?? :confused: I'm not sure you know how things work bro....

Reactions: anon(52425)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK I thought I heard something like that but perhaps it's just on our carriers over here in Canada. Well that's pretty sweet to have true unlimited data looks like I'll have to move LOL

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
OK I thought I heard something like that but perhaps it's just on our carriers over here in Canada. Well that's pretty sweet to have true unlimited data looks like I'll have to move LOL

AH-HA! I'm not to familiar with our neighbors plans up north! I only know for AT&T as I stated. I assume you're on Rogers?? Dont they have some good plans in place?

Reactions: anon(52425)

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
There's no soft cap on AT&T(since its my carrier thats the one I know about), it's truly unlimited. That 5GB is myth and only for old laptop cards....

How does donwloading gigs of data hurt them? You're paying for it??!?!?! So how does that hurt them. Also, thats the silliest thing, class action lawsuit, for what? Them owning a company and setting prices?? :confused: I'm not sure you know how things work bro....

It hurts them if you're using an enormous amount of data just like if you're leaving you're water running all day long it will hurt the water company. There's a limited amount of bandwith on these networks so if everyone is going nuts with data the network will crash. Why do you think ATT has had so many problems since the iPhone launched. These unlimited plans were launched before the new wave of smartphones. The amount of data usage has gone up I believe 5000% since then and the networks can't handle it. That's why unlimited is going away. I think you're being narrow minded and selfish.

Jeun

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Pot calling the kettle black...

You don't think you might be the one being a little narrow-minded and selfish? Really dude? Crash the whole server? That's not the very definition of selfish. How does AT&T owe you something?

I'd LOVE being able to tether my whole neighborhood from my phone with a T1 line and amazing data speeds, I just don't expect that to only cost me 30ish bucks.

I'm in South Korea now, in the Army, and had to have AT&T suspend my line while I'm gone for a year. Not only are they grandfathering me in for my unlimited plan when I return, but they're also letting my contract continue so I don't lose out on an upgrade when the time comes, for free.

Maybe I get dropped calls all over the place in NYC, but they're a business like any other, they're trying to make a buck and keep up with that 5,000% explosion of bandwidth mentioned, how about we give em a break. Just jailbreak your devices and go about your business.

OTHERWISE...

As Louis CK would say: You go make your own then, you get on a tree with hubcaps and see how close to perfect your network is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2