1st time iPhone user questions

justin_aga

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
First of hello everyone, I just joined today although I have visited the forum several times.

I have a Sprint Evo and I got a iPhone 4 (off contract) a few days ago. I just gotta say that this phone is nothing short of amazing. Fast,smoooth great battery life and screen. The total package I want in a phone. I just have a few questions.

1. anyone have an unlocked iphone, if so, is it hard to unlock and whats a good tmobile plan to get for it. I am a data and cellphone user.

2. I plan to cancel my Sprint contact and port my number to the iphone. Is this a hard process and do i have to pay the etf off completely before the transfer?

3. I feel that the phone is fragile and a bit slippery, does the rubber case protect it well? what are mandatory items I should look into?

4. whats a good insurance option because I know poeple that dropped theirs. or is it better to just have the screen replaced?

5. what is hdr and how does it work?

Any answers to those questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
congrats on leaving Sprint. it was the best decision i made 5 years ago

if you're out of contract there should be no ETF

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
First of hello everyone, I just joined today although I have visited the forum several times.

I have a Sprint Evo and I got a iPhone 4 (off contract) a few days ago. I just gotta say that this phone is nothing short of amazing. Fast,smoooth great battery life and screen. The total package I want in a phone. I just have a few questions.

1. anyone have an unlocked iphone, if so, is it hard to unlock and whats a good tmobile plan to get for it. I am a data and cellphone user.

2. I plan to cancel my Sprint contact and port my number to the iphone. Is this a hard process and do i have to pay the etf off completely before the transfer?

3. I feel that the phone is fragile and a bit slippery, does the rubber case protect it well? what are mandatory items I should look into?

4. whats a good insurance option because I know poeple that dropped theirs. or is it better to just have the screen replaced?

Any answers to those questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :D

I have an unlocked iPhone 4. I am subbed to a $59.95 / month T-Mob plan which is 1000 min anytime talk and unlimited everything else. Works for me. I doubt I ever got above 700 talk minutes but am online almost constantly.

No effort to xfer your number. I did from Verizon. Just tell T-Mob you wish to xfer.

I have my phone in a thin case I got at the Apple store & a non glare screen protector I also got there. These phones are tough, really. Look up gorilla glass. If you remain concerned, check out otterbox cases.

justin_aga

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Does t-mobile offer prepaid? I'm in a situation where I wanna see what the new iPhone is like because I would want it for 199. That's why I wanna avoid getting a contract yet

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

1. You should know that if you use the iPhone on Tmobile you will get EDGE speeds only as the iPhone does not support the 3G band that Tmobile uses. As for the actual unlocking part it should require just a few clicks of your mouse, check the jailbreak forum for much more detailed help.

2. It's not hard other than on your wallet. You don't even have to deal with Sprint. You can sign up with Tmobile and they will port the number. This will automatically terminate your Sprint contract and either a few days later (or at your next bill cycle) you will get a final bill with the ETF on it.

3. The Apple bumper is OK for providing extra grip. Although I would recommend either trying to get a free one from Apple (you have to call and complain) or get a knock off on ebay for $5. You may also want a screen protector.

4. Squaretrade and some others offer fairly cheap insurance. Some companies would let you add a separate policy to your homeowners/renters insurance but many have stopped it recently so you might not be able to get it from them anymore.

5. HDR = High dynamic range (lighting). Basically with this turned on the iPhone will take 3 pictures very quickly; one under exposed, one normal, and one over exposed. It will then compose them into one image to give better detail in dark/bright areas of the photo.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods