Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
About the glass:

The glass is much HARDER than the previous version. The harder something is the more brittle it tends to be. What this means is that this glass (similar to synthetic sapphire) won't scratch nearly as easily, but will break more easily. That is how glass works. High-end watches use sapphire crystals and go decades without a scratch, but drop them off a table and there is a good chance they might shatter.

barryweiser

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I was just talking to a VZW rep and she mentioned you can take a device with a cracked glass to a local Apple store and they will replace it for about $100 or so.

Hope this helps...

rjdangerous

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
He has no insurance and his phone breaking was through no fault of Verizon or Apple. You have to realize it's people like the OP who drive up costs for everyone else.

BS he is not trying to scam, state a point to the company.

Costs will be up no matter what, they rob us blind every month don't feed me that crap.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If you feel that apple owes you a free phone cause you broke it then you're an idiot. They never once said that they have "unbreakable glass". Yes it would be nice to get a fee replacement, but they definitely do not owe it to you. Going in and complaining that that the glass was supposed to be unbreakable will probably just hurt your chances of getting a free replacement because it makes you "one of those people".

Reactions: JasonG

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
It's at least worth a trip to the Apple store and while being cool, calm see what they can do. Worse case you'll be paying $199 for a new touch screen. Maybe they can cut you a deal. Be cool, courteous an just tell em what happened. Nothing to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I was just talking to a VZW rep and she mentioned you can take a device with a cracked glass to a local Apple store and they will replace it for about $100 or so.

Hope this helps...

Was on the phone with Apple store the other day asking about getting my screen replaced because i scratched it somehow, not sure how, and they told me that they do not replace the screens or the glass on the iphone 4 and that i would have to bring it in and get it swapped out for a new phone if the screen scratched through no fault of my own and was something beyond my control. So i took it in to see what they would say and was told that it did not meet the requirements to get a new device and that they do not replace the screens or glass and if i wanted the scratch fixed i would have to buy another phone at retail. Scratch isnt THAT bad to drop 700 so im keeping it. Dunno what the verizon rep was talking about other than not knowing what she was saying and wanted to sound knowledgable but 9 times out of 10 they are clueless.

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Was on the phone with Apple store the other day asking about getting my screen replaced because i scratched it somehow, not sure how, and they told me that they do not replace the screens or the glass on the iphone 4 and that i would have to bring it in and get it swapped out for a new phone if the screen scratched through no fault of my own and was something beyond my control. So i took it in to see what they would say and was told that it did not meet the requirements to get a new device and that they do not replace the screens or glass and if i wanted the scratch fixed i would have to buy another phone at retail. Scratch isnt THAT bad to drop 700 so im keeping it. Dunno what the verizon rep was talking about other than not knowing what she was saying and wanted to sound knowledgable but 9 times out of 10 they are clueless.

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. And could that VZW rep that was quoted have meant a local Apple-certified repairer? I know where I live (NYC) there are a few places that are able to repair your phone if you break the screen or something without replacing the entire phone, and probably at less cost than the Apple store might be. (For example: I found one just by Google that replaces the screen for $70, with Apple OEM parts)

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Replacing an iPhone screen isn't as easy as it is on other device because usually the screen is attached to other parts of the phone which makes it expensive than just pulling off the glass and putting another on. My question is, what kind of pants was the OP wearing that they could jump and the phone comes flying out?.... sweating pants?

Trying to get Apple to give you a free phone or discounted one because you dropped it would be nice but will certainly not happen. I'm sorry but we don't get to damage our phones, without insurance and they replace it free of charge or at a discount. Just not reality.

But there are a lot of places out there that claim they can fix iPhone screens. Maybe need to look into one of them.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

tzuraw

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
you need to look into Apple's Out of Warranty Program

Apple - Support - Discussions - Out of Warranty Program? How does this ...

"Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

iPhone 4 Out-of-Warranty Service
16GB & 32GB $199
iPhone 3GS Out-of-Warranty Service
8GB, 16GB & 32GB $199
iPhone 3G Out-of-Warranty Service
8GB & 16GB $199
Original iPhone Out-of-Warranty Service
4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199
A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.
"

It should cost you $199 for new phone (refurb maybe) which is way better tthan full price....

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

"Out-of-Warranty Service
If you own an iPhone that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will service your iPhone for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.

16GB & 32GB $199
8GB, 16GB & 32GB $199
8GB & 16GB $199
4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199
A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone coverage, whichever is longer. Please see Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.
"

It should cost you $199 for new phone (refurb maybe) which is way better tthan full price....

Yeah, please note this line:

"certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage"

Looks pretty bad to me...

tzuraw

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
read the whole line....

" including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications."

It does not fit any of those descriptions.....

and if you looked at the link you would see:
"FYI - I got an iPhone last March, shattered the glass last December, got an out of warranty replacement for $199. My phone could not be fixed easily so this was a good deal."

Also read this line:
"For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. "

The phone has damage but is not in several pieces......

shimojunk

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

"Out-of-Warranty Service

16GB & 32GB $199
8GB, 16GB & 32GB $199
8GB & 16GB $199
4GB, 8GB & 16GB $199

"

Thanks. This is one reason why I refuse to pay money for insurance for A PHONE. I rather take my chances with me never getting my phone stolen/lost (which I have never lost a phone before (knock on wood) and using Fine My Phone app if I do lose it AND taking care of my phone. If I drop it and it cracks or I drop it in the toliet when I'm drunk and taking a leak, then I'll pay Apple to do a diagnosis on it and shell out $200 to have it fixed.

If I do have to pay for a full price iPhone, then I'll suck it up and use my spare blackberry until my 2 year contract is up.

importheinekin

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
it's about $140 to fix an iphone 4 screen close to where i live...whether he's certified or not by Apple I don't know but he has a mac repair shop that is pretty damn popular.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal