Is it possible to set up a distribution list on an iPhone? I'm using google as an exchange account. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-05-2011 01:52 PM
    I think the only thing that I've seen out there is an app called "Group SMS". It will allow you to setup groups for SMS and emails. I'm thinking that is the only way that I'm going to be able to mass text folks. I manage a softball team and need to text folks when there is iffy weather around. Was easy to do on Android, might be the only thing I'm missing on the iPhone.
    03-06-2011 11:33 AM
    There are several apps out there, some free, some .99+...

Edit: I just downloaded Group SMS and really like it, .99 cents and simple to use, you can create groups and templates. You can also choose SMS or Email, some apps don't offer that choice or they seem overly complicated, Group SMS is quick and simple..
    Last edited by CalifJewls; 03-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    03-06-2011 12:29 PM
    I am looking to create a distribution list for emails not sms messages. I am using google on exchange. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks.
    03-07-2011 10:45 AM
    Group SMS does work for email...are you asking specifically how to use Google Mail? Aren't your Google contacts synced to your iPhone?

Search the app store for "Group Mail"
    Last edited by CalifJewls; 03-07-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    03-07-2011 02:00 PM
    I would like to take the Original Posters question one step further in asking if Group SMS, or any other like tool, can not only build and make distribution lists for EMAIL but also use the current groups for distribution lists already built in Google (if you are connecting as Exchange).

If they can not use the existing groups, will Group SMS sync with Google to add the distribution lists as groups to your Google contacts list after building on the iPhone itself?
    03-07-2011 03:06 PM
    I believe you can set up a distribution list in your google contacts under groups or something like this. Set up your group, or distribution list and let your contacts sync with your iPhone and viola, that should do it if I'm not mistaken.
    03-07-2011 03:41 PM
    I believe you can set up a distribution list in your Google contacts under groups or something like this. Set up your group, or distribution list and let your contacts sync with your iPhone and viola, that should do it if I'm not mistaken.
    Unfortunately, groups do not work that way with Gmail contacts. They do not sync using the native iOS contacts app. I did email Group SMS support and they were very quick in getting back to me with the answers. If you use Group SMS you can build the groups on your iPhone which are then stored locally. Those groups will then show up in your native contacts list to use anywhere you use contacts. What it will NOT do is actually sync with Gmail contact groups. So, if you use groups in Gmail like I do for Google Voice they will need to be managed in both places separately.
    03-07-2011 05:16 PM
    Currently iOS does not sync Gmail groups back to the iPhone. Actually as of iOS 4.2.1, Gmail contacts cannot be added to local iPHone groups either. Some group messaging apps have created a workaround by creating groups information inside their own apps. Essentially this becomes a distribution list specific to each app.

This is the solution we took for Tacts (our contact manager app). It is now a free app and can both group email and text.
    03-07-2011 10:45 PM
    Currently iOS does not sync Gmail groups back to the iPhone. Actually as of iOS 4.2.1, Gmail contacts cannot be added to local iPHone groups either. Some group messaging apps have created a workaround by creating groups information inside their own apps. Essentially this becomes a distribution list specific to each app.

This is the solution we took for Tacts (our contact manager app). It is now a free app and can both group email and text.
    Thanks! I will need to try your app because I did try "Group SMS" and it it awful .

A few issues were the following:
    --Did NOT support Exchange as advertised. You MUST sync with your local computer contacts.
    --Did not allow you to choose which email address you wanted on the group list. You only have a switch to email one or all of that contacts emails. In addition, you could not choose which one (if only one).
    --To make things more complicated you could not have one contact where it would send all the emails and one where it only sent one.

So, basically I would NOT recommend Group SMS (At least until they made a whole bunch of improvements.
    03-08-2011 11:13 AM
    You could try our unique "MailShot" app for a different approach to group email.

It creates special contacts in your addressbook that can send email to groups of people at once. This means it can be used inside many other apps, like it was built in to the device, and can do a few tricks like forwarding emails to a MailShot group with all their attachments intact.

Most of our users maintain their groups in MailShot for this, but a new feature added with the update released this week is to import contacts from any existing groups* you have set up in your address book. if a contact has several email addresses, as you describe, you get to choose which of the email addresses to use when you import.

*Note that it doesnt claim to import those groups from Outlook or Gmail directly, but from the address book.

It is free to try on the app store, with a small upgrade available to increase the size of the groups it will handle. We pride ourselves on the quality of our support, so please do get in touch if you need help, or have requests for future development of the app.

Full disclosure: I am the developer of this app.
    05-25-2011 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD