What is the deal CDMA vs GSM and 4.3 stuff

anon(4712533)

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I dont understand all the bashing that is going on.
I see all these post where AT&T iPhone users are bashing VZW iPhone users and visa-versa.
The phone is the same phone with the exception of the radios, look at the specs. IMOP each carrier has there good and bad points. We are all iPhone users cant we all just get along with each other. I put up being bashed when I owned a Droid I in no way thought myself or others would get bashed just because we are on VZW and I dont understand why some VZW users have to bash AT&T users.

When it comes to the 4.3 issue I understand the frustrations.
What I dont understand is people who dont know the inside story trying to say its bugs with CDMA or saying well VZW had hotspot before AT&T so deal with it.

Here is what I found out last night while trying to research and figure things out (it maybe true or false and all bull). When Apple released the CDMA iPhone they sent it out with 4.2.5 and updated it to 4.2.6 for bug fixes. 4.2.5 or 6 made it possible for VZW to have the hotspot. Now 4.3 has the added hotspot for GSM but there is a problem between the 4.2.6 version and the 4.3 version and that is the hotspot on 4.2.6 you can have up to 5 but on 4.3 apple made it to only support 3, and no its not because of AT&T it's in the code from what I was reading online. So I'm now going to look at this as Apple may need to push out 4.3 for GSM and a month later or sooner I would hope they would push it out again without the GSM hotspot update to CDMA users.

The thing is no one really knows what the deal is. Those of us on VZW are use to this kind of stuff, I just hope by the next update everything in sync.

I'm a VZW iPhone owner by choice because AT&T service is not that great around me for voice calls plus being stuck in a family plan. I waited since 2007 for the iPhone now that I have it I'm happy and thrilled to join the iPhone community with my fellow iPhone users.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont understand all the bashing that is going on.
I see all these post where AT&T iPhone users are bashing VZW iPhone users and visa-versa.
Ignorance. Insecurity. Such people are apparently defined by what they buy and what brands they affiliate themselves with. It's not unique to the iPhone world by any means. It's rampant all throughout our society.

I put up being bashed when I owned a Droid I in no way thought myself or others would get bashed just because we are on VZW and I dont understand why some VZW users have to bash AT&T users.
Sadly there are always those that have this "us versus them" mindset ingrained in them. Consider political parties, sports teams, religion, car makes, fashion labels, music genres, nationality, skin color, hair color, eye color... People always find a way to lump themselves into "us" and "them" groups no matter how homogenized things may seem to be.

As always, consider the source. You have to learn the ones to ignore.

Last edited:

Ifangirl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sadly there are always those that have this "us versus them" mindset ingrained in them. Consider political parties, sports teams, religion, car makes, fashion labels, music genres, nationality, skin color, hair color, eye color... People always find a way to lump themselves into "us" and "them" groups no matter how homogenized things may seem to be.

As always, consider the source. You have to learn the ones to ignore.[/QUOTE]

So true!!!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
GSM is an international standard. It permits one phone to operate in most countries. It is the obvious choice for international travelers. GSM uses a small chip, called the SIM, to associate a device with a carrier. One can change devices by porting the SIM to a new one. One can move a device from one service provider by installing a new SIM. One other advantage of GSM is that it enables simultaneous voice and data.

CDMA is a slightly more modern protocol. Call quality is one of the advantages claimed for it and power management is another. Of course, both of these depend on things other than the chip-set and the protocol. CDMA is the basis for LTE, which most carriers will use in the future. There may be some advantage in moving to LTE for carriers that currently use CDMA, but that does not have much influence over the current choice of non-LTE devices.

I am sure that I have overlooked an advantage or two for each but I am sure that others will cover them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2