Just as an FYI:

Just found out when you hit the button on the bottom of the phone, it does
not exit the application you are in, just closes it from view. To see what
applications are open and running in the background, double click the main
button. Along the bottom will be all of them that are open and running. To
actually close some, press and hold any one of them. They will jiggle and
you will see a minus (-) symbol on the upper left corner. Touch this and
you've actually closed that application. Having fewer applications open and
still running in the background will save battery.
When I first did this, everything I opened since I got the phone was still
open.

I knew about double clicking for that list but always thought it was just a list of recent applications that you were in. I had no clue they were all still running. :D

Hope this helps anyone having battery issues, It seems to be helping myself out so far.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The way the iPhone does multi-tasking won't affect bettery life. You could have 1 or 100 apps open, it just saves the state and doesn't use more battery.

Reactions: BLiNK

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the tip, yet most of us knew this. and for most applications, such as say safari, messages, angry birds (just an example dont know if you have it) they are simply suspended in the background, not still actively running. apps such as pandora will continuously run though.

rene did an article on this, check it out

TiPb Answers: No, you don?t need to kill all the apps in your multitasking dock | TiPb

That is a good article, Thanks for showing me that.

This was passed on to me by my father who works for a large corporation that has switched there employees over from Blackberry to Verizon Apple iPhones. They hired an Apple employee to be on site for any issues and he had put out a memo about this.

I guess anything that might help battery life is good. :D

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The way the iPhone does multi-tasking won't affect bettery life. You could have 1 or 100 apps open, it just saves the state and doesn't use more battery.

exactly. i think this is why people get confused with Apples version of Multitasking. true Multitasking allows apps to run in the background..

however, because i am jailbroken and have serious OCD issues, thanks to Activator, i can remove background apps, reset safari and free memory with a few taps on the statusbar and a swipe to the left..

it literally takes about 2 seconds :D

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I thought this was kind of common knowledge. Also you don't need to close your apps all the time as they are not running in the background like you said, They just have their state saved so that when you open them again you are right where you left off. The way that the iPhone does multitasking prevents these apps from diminishing the battery.

Last edited:

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
30wtog2.png

Do what you will, I'm just passing along the info. I have tested it out today to see what it did for my battery life. I would usually be at 20 maybe 30% by now and it has been better today.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
30wtog2.png

Do what you will, I'm just passing along the info. I have tested it out today to see what it did for my battery life. I would usually be at 20 maybe 30% by now and it has been better today.

nice! whatever works for YOU i say :) just be thankful you never had to deal with the 3G or 3GS battery :D

Sosai X

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
30wtog2.png

I'm betting your issue was that one of the apps you used kept accessing data repeatedly, like a news or sports app that has updates set throughout the day. Just change that app's settings to manual instead of automatic and you'll be all set.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm betting your issue was that one of the apps you used kept accessing data repeatedly, like a news or sports app that has updates set throughout the day. Just change that app's settings to manual instead of automatic and you'll be all set.

Where is the settings do you change that?

cp9102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
30wtog2.png

That's great and all, But you still don't need to close your apps everytime your done using them. Here's my latest battery results, and I never close my apps completely when I am done with them. This is also with 31 apps open in the background. Like I said, they don't actually run in the background unless it's something like pandora that is actively being used.

PhotoMar0880419PM.png

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2