Location services

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
if your using them yes. as far as if your not using them, assuming nothing is running in the background using it, if having them on uses any more battery its probably so little you wouldnt even notice it. test it out, charge the phone to 100% one night, and let it sit off the charger with location services on and see where its at in the morning and then do the same the next night with location services off. not sure why i havent done this test yet honestly lol. if you do it let me know what you come up with. im jaibroken and use sbsettings so toggling location services on and off is a breeze so i dont worry about it too much anymore lol

eye4ni

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed no drain leaving it on, unless you are using an app that uses your location (maps etc.). I just leave mine on, and I am getting excellent battery life. Also, some features in some apps are not going to work without location services on, for example, you cannot upload photos to facebook from within the FB app unless location services are on, and I have no idea why.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
@eye4ni

that must be something just happening to you. i can upload pics from the facebook app just fine and i keep location services off..

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
My FB app uploads finr w/o location services on ..

Maps really killed my battery one day so that is why I was asking

Thanks

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
yea if your using them they will go through your battery. but if your not using it i believe it shouldnt be noticeable.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
This was a concern on iPhone OS 2.0 to 3.0. It's not a problem now. Only if I'm actually using the gps in an app then the battery begins to run down, as expected.

The only thing data wise that runs my battery is having cellular data on , especially 3G - as we all know. Occasionally EDGE burns my battery down faster than 3G however. I could probably have 12-14 hours of usage with no data on.

for example : with cellular data off and location services on, using my phone to read an iBook from around 8pm last night until around 10pm, my battery went down about 10%, to 21%.

I did some light text messaging from then on to around 1am. I didn't charge my phone and looking at it now I have 17% battery life left at 1038am.

Last edited:

David Allan

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am also using location service on my phone for a while and I don?t have any issue. I don?t think that this service can affect your battery it just shows your location in text format. Maybe there is a problem of your battery, try deactivating this service for 2 -3 days and check it. If your battery still drains without this service then you need to replace the battery.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro