Hello everyone, as you can tell by my posts I am new here.

I have some questions, currently I am a Android fan-boy, I love the fact that it's "open" and that my home screen, I can just switch the screen and I can see my calendar and everything there.

However, I am in a HUGE dilemma.

Currently I have a Droid 2, it seems to freeze and restart it's self from time to time. Currently I am waiting for the Droid Bionic since it is going to be 4G, and I am planning on getting the Motorola Xoom.

However, I am now debating on getting the iPad 2, and also getting the iPhone 4 (I really do not like the fact that it's not 4G). What are some things that you can convince me to change to the Apple side.

Some things that I like about Android are, it's easy to download apps online and upload them on my phone for free, I also love the Google Maps, and love how Google Search is the default. But still willing to consider Apple if you can help point out some things for me to switch. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ps: If 4G is a big deal, should I wait for the iPhone 5?
    03-03-2011 12:33 AM
    Get the "that was easy" button and hit it every time you pick up your new iPhone 4g because everything is easier to do on the iPhone than it is on the Android!

P.s. Everything you just described sounds like my iPhone...accept for the problems.
    03-03-2011 05:58 AM
    I was comparing my daughters iPhone 4 with my Droid 2 yesterday as we were waiting for her to see Dr. My big concern was screen size. The D2 is larger and I want an even larger screen than the D2 has. Rumors are on the net that a future iPhone will have a 4" screen.

If you want to get a feel for the iPhone experience, I suggest you play with someones iPod Touch, it is the exact same with the exception of the Phone part, the newest version has front and back cameras.

From what I see posted on this forum, a jail broken iPhone is as manipulative as the android in most cases but I am not sure you can get the Android widget experience with the iPhone.

The apps you mentioned above are equivalent on both phones. Personally I like using the Safari browser better than any Android browser and I wish Apple would provide a duplicate version for the Android Phones.

There is no back button or home button on the iPhone which is aggravating to me. But well designed apps have buttons to move back within the app. The thing is, say I am in one app on the Android and want to send a quick text, I hit the home button and then open the texting app type and send it. On the iPhone you have to exit the app you are in to accomplish this and when you go back to the app you have to start over, while on the Android you go back to where you were in the first app.

The Xoom has not received much good press in my opinion. If you read the reviews and comparisons, the Xoom just does not keep up with the iPad. I would definitely get the iPad.

4G devices? They will be faster of course, and whether to get one or not depends on if you live in an area that has the coverage. I know a large number of people who do not have the coverage where they live are planning to get the 4G devices anyway, just so they can have the faster clock speeds of the processors and the improved RAM along with the 4" or 4.3" screens.

You know that old saying, "If you don't like the weather now, wait a few minuets?" That goes for cell phones and tablets too.
    03-03-2011 06:05 AM
    Thank you both so much for your response.

As for 4G, it is going to be available in my area whenever Verizon releases a 4G phone, but I did look at the 4G coverage and it will have coverage.

As for Chrst, did you like the iPhone 4 overall than the D2, the exterior look of the iPhone 4 is is amazing, I think the look of the iPhone 4 is the best there is.

As for the iPad, I think I am going to get the iPad 2, I read that if you have a iPhone 4 and iPad that you wirelessly connect your iPad 2 to the iPhone via WiFi.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks again for your time!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    03-03-2011 07:37 AM
    You will be able to wireless tether ur iPad 2 to your D2 if you decide not to get the iPhone so tethering is not an issue.

I like both of the phones equally. Each has features that I like. I go with the D2 for now because of the slightly larger screen size of the D2.

Read this thread for more comparisons of the two operating systems.
    http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone...id-fanboy.html

Almost everyone that has posted in that thread likes the iPhone better than their Android. I would be willing to bet that some of these little differences will go away once Apple starts seeing the features of the Android that iPhone customers want.

As for the exterior look of the iPhone, I think that is mute point since it is mostly breakable glass and you will have ur phone in some sort of protective case if you want to protect your investment. My daughter did not even unbox her phone until she got her Outter box case, another $50. investment, but we saw vid's where the phone in this case was literally thrown high in the air and down the street, and did not get damaged.

Just do some more reading there are several threads on here comparing the two devices.

If you are not big on rooting and ROM's on your D2, I feel you will really enjoy the iPhone, because as you will read many times in the threads, "It just works".
    03-03-2011 08:01 AM
    Well to be honest chrst, I use to have an iPhone (the very first one) and I was into jailbreaking, etc.

On the Droid mine is not rooted, and I do not understand the rooting on a Android product, but I do have some idea on Jailbreaking.

Also, on my Android I am able to get free apps just by download torrents as .apks, is this able to be done on Apple products?

Ahh so many things to think about lol. Thanks again for your help!
    03-03-2011 10:52 AM

I have some questions, currently I am a Android fan-boy, I love the fact that it's "open" and that my home screen, I can just switch the screen and I can see my calendar and everything there.

Currently I have a Droid 2, it seems to freeze and restart it's self from time to time. Currently I am waiting for the Droid Bionic since it is going to be 4G, and I am planning on getting the Motorola Xoom.

However, I am now debating on getting the iPad 2, and also getting the iPhone 4 (I really do not like the fact that it's not 4G). What are some things that you can convince me to change to the Apple side.

Some things that I like about Android are, it's easy to download apps online and upload them on my phone for free, I also love the Google Maps, and love how Google Search is the default. But still willing to consider Apple if you can help point out some things for me to switch. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Well honestly all of those things you said you like are just as easy on the iPhone. You have your pick of search engines, Google has several apps in the app store. The only difference in Google Maps on the iPhone is that it doesn't do traditional GPS navigation with voice guidence but it will give you directions and track you.

Please give the open argument a rest.

How 'open' is Google, really? - CNN.com
    03-03-2011 11:13 AM
    Thanks very much for that article. That helped me a lot.

03-03-2011 05:30 PM
    There is no back button or home button on the iPhone which is aggravating to me. But well designed apps have buttons to move back within the app. The thing is, say I am in one app on the Android and want to send a quick text, I hit the home button and then open the texting app type and send it. On the iPhone you have to exit the app you are in to accomplish this and when you go back to the app you have to start over, while on the Android you go back to where you were in the first app.
    Um, what?

No. You're 100% false on this. What iPhone are you basing this off? Because iPhones now multitask. On the iPhone, you can do exactly as you stated you do on your Android. When you open back up your previous app, you're where you left off. Another option is to double-click your Home button while in your first app, select Messages from the list of apps, text the person, double click the home button, select your previous app, and you're back where you started. You never even have to go to the home screen.

No home button? lol what? Are you sure you know what an iPhone is? lol
    03-03-2011 08:18 PM

I personally don't think 4G is a big deal... it's going to cost you extra money each month, and most areas of the country won't see it until 2013 or later, so even if your phone can receive it, it's rarely going to see it :/ if you need a new phone now, get it, and by the time you get your next update 4G will be rolling out in its entirety and you'll have a massive choice of phones supporting it to choose what's best for you from.

Downloading apps are easy as pie on the iPhone, as they're all in one place (unless you Jailbreak). If i'm not mistaken, the Maps app on the iPhone uses the Google map system, so no change there and in Safari, Google is the default search as well.

Also, the camera kicks butt, it has the biggest app selection, the Retina display is drool-worthy, and the battery life rocks. Seriously, I have 6 or so hours of usage (not counting standby time) on mine and I make it the whole day easily. The email system is fantastic (dunno how it is on Android to compare though) and I actually love the notification system, personally, and I came from a BlackBerry. I've always got the phone on me, so I never miss a notification, and it's nice that when the notice pops up, i slide to unlock the phone and it takes me right to the app with the notice... no tapping necessary

There are so many more benefits, but my brain is fried and I can't come up with them right now. Once I think of more I'll add them

Hope this helped!
    03-03-2011 10:45 PM
    Thanks a lot, this definitely helped a lot. The only thing is that 4G is available in my area and I rarely travel so it would kind of a big deal to me :S. Thanks a. Bunch for your input though, it definitely helped me

I personally don't think 4G is a big deal... it's going to cost you extra money each month, and most areas of the country won't see it until 2013 or later, so even if your phone can receive it, it's rarely going to see it :/ if you need a new phone now, get it, and by the time you get your next update 4G will be rolling out in its entirety and you'll have a massive choice of phones supporting it to choose what's best for you from.

Downloading apps are easy as pie on the iPhone, as they're all in one place (unless you Jailbreak). If i'm not mistaken, the Maps app on the iPhone uses the Google map system, so no change there and in Safari, Google is the default search as well.

Also, the camera kicks butt, it has the biggest app selection, the Retina display is drool-worthy, and the battery life rocks. Seriously, I have 6 or so hours of usage (not counting standby time) on mine and I make it the whole day easily. The email system is fantastic (dunno how it is on Android to compare though) and I actually love the notification system, personally, and I came from a BlackBerry. I've always got the phone on me, so I never miss a notification, and it's nice that when the notice pops up, i slide to unlock the phone and it takes me right to the app with the notice... no tapping necessary

There are so many more benefits, but my brain is fried and I can't come up with them right now. Once I think of more I'll add them

Hope this helped!

03-04-2011 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD