What?!?!? No 4.3 for Verizon??

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
C'mon people! Don't you know AT&T users are the Guinea Pigs? After they get all the bugs fixed...THEN it will be released to us in perfect heavenly iOS bliss!

I have never seen Apple release a OS so buggy before as this 4.3 for all GSM carrier iPhones. Its so terrible, I went to Apple and got it exchanged so I could get back on ever so stable 4.2.1.

People in general just be glad CDMA iPhone was left out. I wish Att was. Your not missing anything.

Reactions: Jon Seals

Vorpal279

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Other than Personal Hotspot (which VZ iPhone already has), what features are in iOS 4.3 that are a must have? I really can't think of any.

trevgriff#IM

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
My 64G iPad (1) WiFi just updated to 4.3.1 and still no 4.3 for my Verizon iPhone 4!!!!!!!!!

One of the complaints I had when I left Android was how randomly the updates were distrubuted. With multiple vendors this was understandable but still frustrating.

Apple has two (2) iPhone 4 model's and they can't even get the update out at the same time. This is becoming a little troubling

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not one bit troubled.

Verizon's iPhone had a better OS at release than AT&Ts. Now AT&Ts is getting an update, to give it what Verizon has, plus some minor enhancements that don't impact me because I don't use those features.

Apple will release an update for Verizon iPhones when it's ready and not before.

Besides, I'm a jailbreaker - and will have to wait until they get the JB update done for the new OS.

Impatience is not a virtue :)

Reactions: Jon Seals

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
some minor enhancements that don't impact me because I don't use those features.

Just because you wouldn't use them doesn't mean others wouldn't as well. Fragmentation is one of the things that Steve Jobs uses to put down Android and now the same thing is happening to the iPhone. Taking a week or so longer to release a version for the CDMA iPhone (or the other way around) would have been fine, But now the CDMA version is 2 updates behind. Same with when the CDMA iPhone launched with more features then the GSM version, This shouldn't have happened. Fragmentation is bad any way you look at it.

Reactions: iSRS

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not one bit troubled.

Verizon's iPhone had a better OS at release than AT&Ts. Now AT&Ts is getting an update, to give it what Verizon has, plus some minor enhancements that don't impact me because I don't use those features.

Apple will release an update for Verizon iPhones when it's ready and not before.

Besides, I'm a jailbreaker - and will have to wait until they get the JB update done for the new OS.

Impatience is not a virtue :)

No, I think this should be troubling. Sure, 4.3 has features that you may not use, but others, like myself, would use features like home sharing and the speedier browser. I'm just afraid that this might be a sign of how verizon is going to be treated with things to come. I mean, if GSM iP gets an upgrade to iOS 4.4 or 5 and it then gets better notifications, iTunes cloud, make a cup of coffee, etc... and the Verizon iP is still at 4.2.6, I'm sure you'll be troubled then.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
No, I think this should be troubling. Sure, 4.3 has features that you may not use, but others, like myself, would use features like home sharing and the speedier browser. I'm just afraid that this might be a sign of how verizon is going to be treated with things to come. I mean, if GSM iP gets an upgrade to iOS 4.4 or 5 and it then gets better notifications, iTunes cloud, make a cup of coffee, etc... and the Verizon iP is still at 4.2.6, I'm sure you'll be troubled then.

I think you all need to just chill a bit. Is it frustrating? Perhaps. Is it the end of the world? Definitely not.

The GSM and CDMA versions are physically different. That's how it is. Perhaps the release numbering schemes will align someday (soon?), perhaps not. But since the underlying hardware is different, it's probably best if the release numbers are not identical at this point. What is most important is the feature set - some of which may be slightly different in one version or the other - again, because of the hardware differences...

I suspect this will continue to be an "issue" until the iPhone5 is released - and it may only completely disappear IF the dual technology radio chip is used, effectively making the hardware identical.

wchsxc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed in Apple and Verizon. I don't care about there being differences in the two iPhone 4's or that my Verizon iPhone was released with a higher/better iOS than the ATT counterpart. That's no excuse. My phone has been spastic lately with random battery drains and random text message issues. I had blackberrys prior to my iPhone an Verizon is INFAMOUS for useless and offtime upgrades. I was hoping that unlike RIMM, Apple would have a backbone and would push out useful updates on time. I've heard that Verizon doesnt have control and it's actually Apple that dictates when updates are released. Either way, I'm considering returning my iPhone and returning to my Storm at least until the iPhone 5 is released and hopefully the two versions are running smoothly on the same timetable.

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Let's see here. Verizon doesn't get 4.3 like everyone else on the 11th (although they already have hotspot). They have slower data. They can't do voice/data at the same time via 3G. They suffer slightly less battery life (CDMA uses different power requirements and tuning, although nothing drastic). So much for that Verizon iPhone being awesome? I can't think of a reason since AT&T is very fast for me and very reliable.

How about instead of bashing, give a knowledgeable answer.

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
At first, I said the exact same thing you did, but after using 4.3 on my iPad for a few days, I was not happy. Bugs=fail. 4.3 has many, 4.2 has little to none.

Last edited:

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
At first, I said the exact same thing you did, but after using 4.3 on my iPad for a few days, I was not happy. Bugs=fail. 4.3 has many, 4.2 has little to none.

iOS 4.3.1 is now out and addresses some of the bugs described by some users of 4.3.

The update is available for the iPhone 3GS and GSM iPhone 4, the iPad and iPad 2, and the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch

Last edited:

trevgriff#IM

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I think you all need to just chill a bit. Is it frustrating? Perhaps. Is it the end of the world? Definitely not.

The GSM and CDMA versions are physically different. That's how it is. Perhaps the release numbering schemes will align someday (soon?), perhaps not. But since the underlying hardware is different, it's probably best if the release numbers are not identical at this point. What is most important is the feature set - some of which may be slightly different in one version or the other - again, because of the hardware differences...

I suspect this will continue to be an "issue" until the iPhone5 is released - and it may only completely disappear IF the dual technology radio chip is used, effectively making the hardware identical.

I bought the iPhone 4 and I'll have it for at least 2 years, so I'm not worried about the iPhone 5. I bought my iPad 6 months before I bought my iPhone I would have never dreamed that the newer hardware would be the iOS product lagging as far as the updates go!

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I am fine living the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lifestyle with my VZW iPhone 4. Battery life is good, JB is great, and she's customized to my exact lifestyle! I don't see the big deal myself...

mi_canuck#IM

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
agreed... 4.2.6 working perfectly fine... not enough in 4.3.1 to warrant going ballistic over... we'll get an update soon enough and when we do, it will be worth the wait... 4.2.6 supports hotspot, the biggest feature of 4.3 anyways...

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

What about the iPad 2? They are different models. They still got the update, and doesn't the iPad 2 have the chip in the Verizon iPhone 4? I might be wrong, but I thought that was the case. Just saying, the argument that they are different doesn't pass the smell test since the iPad 2 on Verizon gets the 4.3 and 4.3.1 updates.

agreed... 4.2.6 working perfectly fine... not enough in 4.3.1 to warrant going ballistic over... we'll get an update soon enough and when we do, it will be worth the wait... 4.2.6 supports hotspot, the biggest feature of 4.3 anyways...

I for one would like the update for Home Sharing. That would be huge for me. I don't think it is the lack of update that people are concerned with (not sure anyone is going ballistic), it is the lack of any acknowledgement that the CDMA version will get these features and if so, when. Something from Apple saying "Hey, we know, we are working on it and you will get it {timetable}"

trevgriff#IM

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
[/QUOTE] I for one would like the update for Home Sharing. That would be huge for me. I don't think it is the lack of update that people are concerned with (not sure anyone is going ballistic), it is the lack of any acknowledgement that the CDMA version will get these features and if so, when. Something from Apple saying "Hey, we know, we are working on it and you will get it [/QUOTE]

Agree!

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Love my VZ iPhone4...would never consider going back to Blackberry or Android until they don't have too many bugs and work smoothly. If the newer OSs provide a faster Safari experience, even better, but I can wait as my iPhone is ten times better than my Storm2 was.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
What about the iPad 2? They are different models. They still got the update, and doesn't the iPad 2 have the chip in the Verizon iPhone 4? I might be wrong, but I thought that was the case. Just saying, the argument that they are different doesn't pass the smell test since the iPad 2 on Verizon gets the 4.3 and 4.3.1 updates.

Exactly, the updates where available for all models of the iPad (which use different chips) 2 generations of iPods, and the old 3GS. In reality this should be available for the CDMA version iPhone as well. You can't tell me that the Apple engineers are not smart enough to make it work, especially after this amount of time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR