What?!?!? No 4.3 for Verizon??

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Question? Is being able to call and use data a true dealbreaker? I cant remember a time where Ive needed both at the same time. I use tons of data and messaging. AT&T users always throw this out because its the only leg they have to stand on when it comes to how awesome their phone performs.

Ive had the ip4 from VZW since it came out and have not had one issue. I tweeked a few settings and it has performed perfectly. The ability to talk and surf is a rather small feature to me. I would rather be able to use my device freely in any area with awesome coverage.
It may not be "a deal breaker" but it is certainly a convenience. One often has occasion to use the cloud while talking to someone.

May be based upon how one views the iPhone. To me the iPhone is a computer on which I occasionally make phone calls. I like for my computers to multi-task. I do not want to have to give up access to all other apps just to make a phone call.

While I use both AT&T and Verizon (MiFi) for data, I do my voice calls over IP (Skype). This is true without regard to what computer, PC, MacBook Air, iPad, or iPhone, or which carrier, I happen to be using at the moment. For me, the other computer application that I am doing at the moment, often trumps the phone call.

Of course, if one turns all voice calls into data calls, the issue of simultaneity of voice and data goes away.

So, not a deal breaker.

On the other hand, it would be nice if either carrier were good enough that I did not have to pay both, just to get a reasonably reliable level of service. For example, when iOS4.3 comes out, it would be nice if I could drop my MiFi. It would be nice to carry only one device and worry about the charge of one battery. Whatever AT&T says, no matter whose fault they think it is, for those of us who live or work in NYC, their service does not meet that standard.

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
who cares? I could honestly care less about photobooth and garage band or whatever else there is. Personal hotspot isn't of any interest to me and even if it were, I already have MiWi.

All 4.3 would do it cause me to wait for a jailbreak, rejailbreak, redo repos, reinstall apps, etc.

3 words, iTunes Home Sharing

Very very big for media addicts like me.

Though I'll be able to hang in there, I always have my iPad.

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
It may not be "a deal breaker" but it is certainly a convenience. One often has occasion to use the cloud while talking to someone.

May be based upon how one views the iPhone. To me the iPhone is a computer on which I occasionally make phone calls. I like for my computers to multi-task. I do not want to have to give up access to all other apps just to make a phone call.

While I use both AT&T and Verizon (MiFi) for data, I do my voice calls over IP (Skype). This is true without regard to what computer, PC, MacBook Air, iPad, or iPhone, or which carrier, I happen to be using at the moment. For me, the other computer application that I am doing at the moment, often trumps the phone call.

Of course, if one turns all voice calls into data calls, the issue of simultaneity of voice and data goes away.

So, not a deal breaker.

On the other hand, it would be nice if either carrier were good enough that I did not have to pay both, just to get a reasonably reliable level of service. For example, when iOS4.3 comes out, it would be nice if I could drop my MiFi. It would be nice to carry only one device and worry about the charge of one battery. Whatever AT&T says, no matter whose fault they think it is, for those of us who live or work in NYC, their service does not meet that standard.

This problem has no effect on me and many many others, I'm either on wifi or driving, its illegal in my state to be texting (or anything else which they overlooked) except for talking on the phone. Wifi and CDMA can both be used at the same time. This may not be the problem for all of you, but it's something to consider before trash talking.

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
This problem has no effect on me and many many others, I'm either on wifi or driving, its illegal in my state to be texting (or anything else which they overlooked) except for talking on the phone....

What if you're a passenger? What if you're parked?

There are still plenty of airports in the U.S. which don't have free wifi access, to say nothing of numerous business establishments.

If I'm in my car, on a moderate distance trip, and my wife or another passenger wants to use my ipad, I'll be able to tether it to the phone, let her use the ipad in the car, as I drive, and still have use of my phone to talk on without disturbing/interrupting whomever is on the ipad or laptop.

What if I'm in a restaurant or other business establishment, as I was just last evening, where the wifi is present, but locked?

...Wifi and CDMA can both be used at the same time. This may not be the problem for all of you, but it's something to consider before trash talking.

I agree, it might not be a "problem" for all, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts, that if this feature of simultaneous voice and data over 3G, were available as part of, and included in the package to current VZW iPhone4 owners who are attempting to downplay it, that not a single one would turn it down.

People bring up the simultaneous voice and data thing, but equally as important, might be the conference calling thing too.

Last edited:

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what badboy said. I have mine Jailbroken so I'm not that concerned about it.

Also to the previous poster who said "so much for the Verizon iPhone", my viP4 has unlimited data grandfathered, and since AT&T no longer offers that, I feel I got the better end of the stick by staying with Verizon.

(now if I had gotten into it when AT&T offered unlimited, this would be a totally different conversation :D )

^^ You are spot on. I think I will upgrade at 5.0, or when most of everything in Cydia is incorporated in the stock iOS :)

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree, it might not be a "problem" for all, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts, that if this feature of simultaneous voice and data over 3G, were available as part of, and included in the package to current VZW iPhone4 owners who are attempting to downplay it, that not a single one would turn it down.

People bring up the simultaneous voice and data thing, but equally as important, might be the conference calling thing too.

No offense intended, but that is a rediculous thing to say in my estimation. I don't know *anyone* in the world that would turn their nose up to a free service upgrade.

Noone is saying that they wouldn't take voice/data at the same time. However, that doesn't make it a big deal. Many users stay on WiFi all the time (like myself) and STILL don't end up using data while on the phone. I know, for myself, there has never been a time I was on the phone and I missed the ability to transfer data.

It's just not that big of a deal to most of us. No reason to use obscure accusations in order to prove a point, imo :D Truthfully, if it *was* a big deal, big enough to offset the unlimited data plan I have with Verizon, I'd be the first one in line to make the switch to AT&T.

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No offense intended, but that is a rediculous thing to say in my estimation. I don't know *anyone* in the world that would turn their nose up to a free service upgrade.

Noone is saying that they wouldn't take voice/data at the same time. However, that doesn't make it a big deal. Many users stay on WiFi all the time (like myself) and STILL don't end up using data while on the phone. I know, for myself, there has never been a time I was on the phone and I missed the ability to transfer data.

It's just not that big of a deal to most of us. No reason to use obscure accusations in order to prove a point, imo :D Truthfully, if it *was* a big deal, big enough to offset the unlimited data plan I have with Verizon, I'd be the first one in line to make the switch to AT&T.

Well, also no offense intended here either, so please do not take it as such, but I don't think it's any more "rediculous" or even ridiculous for that matter, than contending that it's "no big deal".

Indeed, one could make a valid argument, that it's "no big deal" to be able to gain access to the internet on a cell phone at all as many people don't even use smart phones.

A modern, state of the art cell phone, should be able to utilize voice and data at the same time over it's network and without depending on free Wifi.

It should also be able to handle conference calling with the ability to put one or more of the parties on hold if need be, or disconnect one or more of the parties without disconnecting all of them.....especially if the cost for a phone which will do the above, is the same as the cost of one which will not.

If it's truly "no big deal", then why is Verizon working to bring this feature to their subscribers???......unless they're being "ridiculous" and spending so much effort on a "small deal" or "minutia".

The bottom line is that this is an operating feature that many people either already "expect", or for those who don't expect it, would certainly not turn it down were it available.

No need to pooh pooh it, as I see some in here doing.

Last edited:

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm certainly not saying that it's a useless feature, just less than useful to me and many users who are on viP4. If it was the huge deal it seems to be to some, I'd recommend they go ahead and make the switch to AT&T.

If my choice was to give up Unlimited Data for a capped data package with the ability to talk on the phone and receive data at the same time, there is no way I would, personally, take that deal. We can chase this rabbit all over, and at the end of the day, that's the choice I see.

Can I come up with crazy scenarios where that would bother me? Yeah, probably, but in the real world, I just haven't felt this particular limitation in the month or so I've owned my phone.

To sum up: If Verizon suddenly had the feature, I'd take it. If I had to give up anything for it, ANYTHING, I'd probably pass.

To each their own, luckily there are two carriers.

PS. I wasn't saying your whole post was rediculous, I should have been more specific. The rediculous part was using the fact that people would take a free upgrade in service as a way to prove that it's a game-changing feature.

Last edited:

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, also no offense intended here either, so please do not take it as such, but I don't think it's any more "rediculous" or even ridiculous for that matter, than contending that it's "no big deal".

Indeed, one could make a valid argument, that it's "no big deal" to be able to gain access to the internet on a cell phone at all as many people don't even use smart phones.

A modern, state of the art cell phone, should be able to utilize voice and data at the same time over it's network and without depending on free Wifi.

It should also be able to handle conference calling with the ability to put one or more of the parties on hold if need be, or disconnect one or more of the parties without disconnecting all of them.....especially if the cost for a phone which will do the above, is the same as the cost of one which will not.

It it's truly "no big deal", then why is Verizon working to bring this feature to their subscribers???......unless they're being "ridiculous" and spending so much effort on a "small deal" or "minutia".

The bottom line is that this is an operating feature that many people either already "expect", or for those who don't expect it, would certainly not turn it down were it available.

No need to pooh pooh it, as I see some in here doing.

A modern, state of the art CAN utilize voice/data simultaneously. It doesn't have a fat baby's ass to do with the phone. It's the network. Now, you have to have 3G coverage to be able to do it. Can you do it when you only have AT&T's crappy ass EDGE network??? NOPE!!!! And look at the coverage map for AT&T 3G. It leaves a lot to be desired, I assure you. If simultaneous voice/data was why a person chose AT&T over Verizon and it's absolutely imperative, then I suggest that person have a Verizon MiFi, so they will have something reliable.

If it's such a greatttttt feature, why isn't everyone flocking to sign up with AT&T??

Reactions: P0stalTek

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm certainly not saying that it's a useless feature, just less than useful to me and many users who are on viP4. If it was the huge deal it seems to be to some, I'd recommend they go ahead and make the switch to AT&T.

If my choice was to give up Unlimited Data for a capped data package with the ability to talk on the phone and receive data at the same time, there is no way I would, personally, take that deal. We can chase this rabbit all over, and at the end of the day, that's the choice I see.

Can I come up with crazy scenarios where that would bother me? Yeah, probably, but in the real world, I just haven't felt this particular limitation in the month or so I've owned my phone.

To sum up: If Verizon suddenly had the feature, I'd use it. If I had to give up anything for it, ANYTHING, I'd probably pass.

To each their own, luckily there are two carriers.

I can certainly agree with the above about "chasing the rabbit" and glad that there are multiple carriers to choose from.

But I would only point out that unlimited data sounds good, until they start throttling you, and slowing your data speeds to a crawl when you reach the top 5% of data users as VZW has said they do.

So I can certainly see your point, because if I had to give up the feature of simultaneous voice and data, in exchange for "unlimited" data, knowing full well that I would be throttled, and my connection speeds slowed to a crawl for the current billing cycle, as well as the next, as soon as I reached a given point, and worse yet, not knowing when I hit that point until after I hit it, I'd balk at "unlimited" data.

To say nothing of the fact that some on the other carrier(s), already have the same unlimited data plan you speak of, and VZWs unlimited plan, is going to be unavailable soon.

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
A modern, state of the art CAN utilize voice/data simultaneously. It doesn't have a fat baby's ass to do with the phone. It's the network. Now, you have to have 3G coverage to be able to do it. Can you do it when you only have AT&T's crappy ass EDGE network??? NOPE!!!! And look at the coverage map for AT&T 3G. It leaves a lot to be desired, I assure you. If simultaneous voice/data was why a person chose AT&T over Verizon and it's absolutely imperative, then I suggest that person have a Verizon MiFi, so they will have something reliable.

If it's such a greatttttt feature, why isn't everyone flocking to sign up with AT&T??

You talk as though AT&T's 3G service is minimally available when indeed that is clearly not the case.

But I would only proffer this.

Since VZW has all of this 3G coverage, coverage which extends to some of the most remote outposts of the U.S, coverage which "never" drops a call, and which their subscribers can use from some of the deepest caves found anywhere.................why is it, that in this day and age, with all of that coverage advantage, that they still do not have simultaneous voice and data available over that network????

You can run telegraph lines all over the world, and put one into every home, and have Morse code, going into each of them. Every remote outpost you can think of.

But to argue that those telegraph lines are "better" than fiber optic because the telegraph lines go into more areas, is absurd.

Can you do as much in Morse code as you can over fiber optic? Of course not. Morse code is yesterday's news. Just as not being able to utilize data and voice over your cellular network.

Likewise, to tout all of that coverage advantage, when your users can't do as much on it as others can over your competitor's network, doesn't hold water either, especially when your competition is all the while expanding it's coverage area.

Last edited:

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I can guarantee I'm not in the top 5% that will be throttled, even from only looking at the posts here in this one forum. So again, you are outlining a problem that doesn't effect me. Somewhere in this thread, I clearly posted that if I was around when AT&T offered their unlimited package, this would be a different story.

The "throttling" is aimed at people who are torrenting and such from their phones. Quite frankly, those people *should* be throttled. Why should we all have a higher price or slower speed because 5% of the users out there can't save the torrenting for their PC/Mac? ;)

Don't shoot me, 5%'ers! :D

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I swear I thought this was the Verizon iPhone forum, and for the life of me, why do people who don't have Verizon come in here to stir the pot?? I am speaking of people who are on other carriers, carriers who are all the while expanding it's coverage area and have perfect spellers, for an example.

Just my thought...

Reactions: tourstagefan

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Because their current infrastructure makes it impossible. Have you looked up CDMA? They are "getting with the future" and adding it, why do you have such a personal stake in this anyways?

Your angst towards Verizon over a feature that clearly most of their customers don't seem to be complaining about just makes you look like a fanboi trying to make yourself feel better about your service by putting down others.

Just saying, that's how you are coming across.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
First and foremost, my phone needs to be able to make a call. I can do that, even in BFE. I will worry about the voice/data when I get home :)

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
If you are Verizon.. do you spend time changing your fully setup CDMA network or just push the LTE development faster? LTE will automatically make this conversation one of the past. I wouldn't waste the money to change my entire network over to a different standard, only to do the same in a year or two.

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Call me crazy, but I swear I thought this was the Verizon iPhone forum, and for the life of me, why do people who don't have Verizon come in here to stir the pot?? I am speaking of people who are on other carriers, carriers who are all the while expanding it's coverage area and have perfect spellers, for an example.

Just my thought...

Well, we all own iPhones. Be they VZW or AT&T. Virtually anything pertinent to one, may be pertinent to the other.

As a long time VZW user short time AT&T user, I have seen the differences, and well, frankly, I'm glad I didn't wait for the VZW version of the phone because I see an iPhone which doesn't do what an iPhone does.

I find, from descriptions and gripes of those of us who have it, that it is sorely lacking in one of the biggest features making the iPhone to awesome device that it is.

Multitasking.

That's arguably the biggest thing that the iPhone has going for it.

Thus an iPhone which doesn't do that as well as it can, .......

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Because their current infrastructure makes it impossible.

Precisely. It was a rhetorical question.

Putting that phone on that network, and then telling prospective buyers that they were "getting the iPhone", was perhaps the biggest stroke of genius by VZW yet.

They, in effect sold them an iPhone4, which does not do what an iPhone4 does, because of the network they were putting it on.

Voice and data over the network, continuity with texts over 160 characters, conference calling with the ability to place one or more of the participants on hold and such.

You have an iPhone4 out there for months now which will do that, and then you sell others an iPhone4 which won't, and tell those buyers that they are getting the same thing......that's marketing genius.

This latest move, availability of iOs 4.3 with a list of other features coming to
one version of the phone before the other, is yet another move separating the functionality of the two phones.

What's next????

Your angst towards Verizon over a feature that clearly most of their customers don't seem to be complaining about just makes you look like a fanboi trying to make yourself feel better about your service by putting down others.

Just saying, that's how you are coming across.

I wonder why this "fanboi" accusation comes up when a clear difference between the two is referenced???

It's almost like one cannot even point to the difference without being accused of "fanboism".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen