I feel like if Verizon were behind the slow update, Apple would say something. I mean, I bet most users aren't aware that OS updates for smartphones go through the carrier first (with the exception of iOS, obviousy), so I feel most users will put the blame to Apple for the delay. If Apple weren't responsible for the blame, I feel they'd say SOMETHING about it... But then, they're usually more open about their delays and such, so I dunno.
    03-13-2011 12:05 PM
    Recommend this thread be made sticky, or perhaps filed under a more generic "latest VZW iphone OS" title. I'm sure there are a number of folks like myself who come here looking for what the latest OS is available. Seems like this kind of info should be at the top (instead of on page 2).
    03-15-2011 01:27 PM
    I hear that the thunderbolt that verizon is being released this week will be able to do Voice over revision A meaning it can do simultaneous voice/data over verizon's current 3G which is most likely why it took so long to be released. What are the odds that this capability is included in the iOS 4.3 update for the Verizon iPhone and they had to make sure all the kinks were worked out in the software and verizon was ready for it's use which is why they could release 4.3 to us last week.

(and before anyone says that simultaneous voice/data over EVDO A is impossible on the CDMA iPhone, it is possible with a software/baseband update and doesn't require hardware modifications, look it up)
    03-15-2011 03:12 PM
    (and before anyone says that simultaneous voice/data over EVDO A is impossible on the CDMA iPhone, it is possible with a software/baseband update and doesn't require hardware modifications, look it up)
    Phones have to be physically capable of it. According to everything I saw prior to the iPhone release for Verizon, the Verizon iPhone is not capable of it, and a software update would not be capable of making it possible. But it sure would be nice if all that was wrong...
    03-15-2011 03:16 PM
    Phones have to be physically capable of it. According to everything I saw prior to the iPhone release for Verizon, the Verizon iPhone is not capable of it, and a software update would not be capable of making it possible. But it sure would be nice if all that was wrong...
    It's funny too, I remember there being rumors about them doing vora on the ViPhone4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    03-15-2011 04:05 PM
    No this is not correct. The ThunderBolt can do voice and data at the same time over LTE (4G) not 3G. You are some what correct about the software update (its a network update) its updating from Rev. A to Rev. B but because they now have LTE they will not update. Rumors were flying around a couple of years ago about VZW doing the network update but it's just not going to happen now with LTE.
    03-15-2011 07:33 PM
    No this is not correct. The ThunderBolt can do voice and data at the same time over LTE (4G) not 3G. You are some what correct about the software update (its a network update) its updating from Rev. A to Rev. B but because they now have LTE they will not update. Rumors were flying around a couple of years ago about VZW doing the network update but it's just not going to happen now with LTE.
    I'm pretty sure you're wrong here, I said to go do some research before questioning me... lol (Voice Over Revision A does not require a hardware fix either, still uses the same basic protocol, just requires a network update which apparently verizon has done.)

HTC Thunderbolt has hidden simultaneous 3G voice and data | Electronista

HTC ThunderBolt bringing simultaneous voice and data to Verizon | AndGeeks

Verizon says HTC ThunderBolt has simultaneous voice and data

Twitter
    03-16-2011 06:06 PM
    Incorrect. The Thunderbolt can do voice and data at the same time on 3G.
    03-16-2011 06:49 PM
    What if the iPhone CAN do this with 4.3, and AT&T just wasted all of that money on their commercials banking on it NOT being able to do simultaneous voice/data...

HA
    03-16-2011 07:22 PM
    Did some research and vzw did not update anything it's all in the thunderbolt software but if you research even more vzw said they don't know what the quality of it would be, the experience would more likely not be to there standers of service. In other words don't blame us for dropped call's and even slower data lol
    03-16-2011 07:50 PM
    C'mon people! Don't you know AT&T users are the Guinea Pigs? After they get all the bugs fixed...THEN it will be released to us in perfect heavenly iOS bliss!
    I have never seen Apple release a OS so buggy before as this 4.3 for all GSM carrier iPhones. Its so terrible, I went to Apple and got it exchanged so I could get back on ever so stable 4.2.1.

People in general just be glad CDMA iPhone was left out. I wish Att was. Your not missing anything.
    Jon Seals likes this.
    03-16-2011 08:11 PM
    Other than Personal Hotspot (which VZ iPhone already has), what features are in iOS 4.3 that are a must have? I really can't think of any.
    03-25-2011 10:49 AM
    My 64G iPad (1) WiFi just updated to 4.3.1 and still no 4.3 for my Verizon iPhone 4!!!!!!!!!

One of the complaints I had when I left Android was how randomly the updates were distrubuted. With multiple vendors this was understandable but still frustrating.

Apple has two (2) iPhone 4 model's and they can't even get the update out at the same time. This is becoming a little troubling
    03-25-2011 02:04 PM
    I'm not one bit troubled.

Verizon's iPhone had a better OS at release than AT&Ts. Now AT&Ts is getting an update, to give it what Verizon has, plus some minor enhancements that don't impact me because I don't use those features.

Apple will release an update for Verizon iPhones when it's ready and not before.

Besides, I'm a jailbreaker - and will have to wait until they get the JB update done for the new OS.

Impatience is not a virtue
    Jon Seals likes this.
    03-25-2011 02:51 PM
    Using home share on my iPad has made my iPhone extremely jealous
    03-25-2011 05:09 PM
    some minor enhancements that don't impact me because I don't use those features.
    Just because you wouldn't use them doesn't mean others wouldn't as well. Fragmentation is one of the things that Steve Jobs uses to put down Android and now the same thing is happening to the iPhone. Taking a week or so longer to release a version for the CDMA iPhone (or the other way around) would have been fine, But now the CDMA version is 2 updates behind. Same with when the CDMA iPhone launched with more features then the GSM version, This shouldn't have happened. Fragmentation is bad any way you look at it.
    iSRS likes this.
    03-25-2011 05:29 PM
    I'm not one bit troubled.

Verizon's iPhone had a better OS at release than AT&Ts. Now AT&Ts is getting an update, to give it what Verizon has, plus some minor enhancements that don't impact me because I don't use those features.

Apple will release an update for Verizon iPhones when it's ready and not before.

Besides, I'm a jailbreaker - and will have to wait until they get the JB update done for the new OS.

Impatience is not a virtue
    No, I think this should be troubling. Sure, 4.3 has features that you may not use, but others, like myself, would use features like home sharing and the speedier browser. I'm just afraid that this might be a sign of how verizon is going to be treated with things to come. I mean, if GSM iP gets an upgrade to iOS 4.4 or 5 and it then gets better notifications, iTunes cloud, make a cup of coffee, etc... and the Verizon iP is still at 4.2.6, I'm sure you'll be troubled then.
    03-25-2011 05:33 PM
    No, I think this should be troubling. Sure, 4.3 has features that you may not use, but others, like myself, would use features like home sharing and the speedier browser. I'm just afraid that this might be a sign of how verizon is going to be treated with things to come. I mean, if GSM iP gets an upgrade to iOS 4.4 or 5 and it then gets better notifications, iTunes cloud, make a cup of coffee, etc... and the Verizon iP is still at 4.2.6, I'm sure you'll be troubled then.
    I think you all need to just chill a bit. Is it frustrating? Perhaps. Is it the end of the world? Definitely not.

The GSM and CDMA versions are physically different. That's how it is. Perhaps the release numbering schemes will align someday (soon?), perhaps not. But since the underlying hardware is different, it's probably best if the release numbers are not identical at this point. What is most important is the feature set - some of which may be slightly different in one version or the other - again, because of the hardware differences...

I suspect this will continue to be an "issue" until the iPhone5 is released - and it may only completely disappear IF the dual technology radio chip is used, effectively making the hardware identical.
    03-25-2011 05:43 PM
    I'm disappointed in Apple and Verizon. I don't care about there being differences in the two iPhone 4's or that my Verizon iPhone was released with a higher/better iOS than the ATT counterpart. That's no excuse. My phone has been spastic lately with random battery drains and random text message issues. I had blackberrys prior to my iPhone an Verizon is INFAMOUS for useless and offtime upgrades. I was hoping that unlike RIMM, Apple would have a backbone and would push out useful updates on time. I've heard that Verizon doesnt have control and it's actually Apple that dictates when updates are released. Either way, I'm considering returning my iPhone and returning to my Storm at least until the iPhone 5 is released and hopefully the two versions are running smoothly on the same timetable.
    03-25-2011 06:44 PM
    Let's see here. Verizon doesn't get 4.3 like everyone else on the 11th (although they already have hotspot). They have slower data. They can't do voice/data at the same time via 3G. They suffer slightly less battery life (CDMA uses different power requirements and tuning, although nothing drastic). So much for that Verizon iPhone being awesome? I can't think of a reason since AT&T is very fast for me and very reliable.
    How about instead of bashing, give a knowledgeable answer.
    03-25-2011 06:46 PM
    At first, I said the exact same thing you did, but after using 4.3 on my iPad for a few days, I was not happy. Bugs=fail. 4.3 has many, 4.2 has little to none.
    Last edited by Jon_Seals; 03-25-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: correction
    03-25-2011 06:51 PM
    At first, I said the exact same thing you did, but after using 4.3 on my iPad for a few days, I was not happy. Bugs=fail. 4.3 has many, 4.2 has little to none.
    iOS 4.3.1 is now out and addresses some of the bugs described by some users of 4.3.

The update is available for the iPhone 3GS and GSM iPhone 4, the iPad and iPad 2, and the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch
    Last edited by Iphonefour; 03-25-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    03-25-2011 07:48 PM
    I think you all need to just chill a bit. Is it frustrating? Perhaps. Is it the end of the world? Definitely not.

The GSM and CDMA versions are physically different. That's how it is. Perhaps the release numbering schemes will align someday (soon?), perhaps not. But since the underlying hardware is different, it's probably best if the release numbers are not identical at this point. What is most important is the feature set - some of which may be slightly different in one version or the other - again, because of the hardware differences...

I suspect this will continue to be an "issue" until the iPhone5 is released - and it may only completely disappear IF the dual technology radio chip is used, effectively making the hardware identical.
    I bought the iPhone 4 and I'll have it for at least 2 years, so I'm not worried about the iPhone 5. I bought my iPad 6 months before I bought my iPhone I would have never dreamed that the newer hardware would be the iOS product lagging as far as the updates go!
    03-25-2011 09:20 PM
    I am fine living the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lifestyle with my VZW iPhone 4. Battery life is good, JB is great, and she's customized to my exact lifestyle! I don't see the big deal myself...
    03-29-2011 12:08 AM
    agreed... 4.2.6 working perfectly fine... not enough in 4.3.1 to warrant going ballistic over... we'll get an update soon enough and when we do, it will be worth the wait... 4.2.6 supports hotspot, the biggest feature of 4.3 anyways...
    03-29-2011 09:52 AM
232 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD