What?!?!? No 4.3 for Verizon??

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's a clear difference. Verizon's network is better than AT&T's, with fewer dropped calls. If I can't even make a call, how the fudge am I gonna be able to do voice/data at the same time. So AT&T's network is substandard compared to Verizon. Their 3G coverage is CLEARLY in far fewer places and you have to have 3G to do voice/data. You guys act like you can do it everywhere, when that clearly isn't the case.

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Precisely. It was a rhetorical question.

Putting that phone on that network, and then telling prospective buyers that they were "getting the iPhone", was perhaps the biggest stroke of genius by VZW yet.

They, in effect sold them an iPhone4, which does not do what an iPhone4 does, because of the network they were putting it on.

I wonder why this "fanboi" accusation comes up when a clear difference between the two is referenced???

It's almost like one cannot even point to the difference without being accused of "fanboism".

"They, in effect sold them an iPhone4, which does not do what an iPhone4 does, because of the network they were putting it on." ........ Oh, you make it sound like the iPhone4 was created to do voice and data at the same time. And you aren't a fanboi???? I tell you what, you win. You have a superior phone on a superior network. I don't even know how us poor Verizon people get by.

You win, have a great day :)

Reactions: shipwrestler125

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Let's recap. You came to a viP4 page and started whining about a feature that you have on a different carrier and vehemently pushed your agenda when we said it didn't bother us.

Now you're slyly suggesting we were "duped" and are trying to force the issue. The fact that you are doing so when you stand nothing to gain is why you are a fanboi. I was happy to discuss with you politely until you started acting like my 7 year old.

You made your choice and clearly we have made ours, can we leave it at that?

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Protip: Multitasking works FINE on the viP4. I have no less than 5-6 apps running at all times. When I'm on the phone, I can still open contacts and do most anything I would feel the need to do while I'm on the phone.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Protip: Multitasking works FINE on the viP4. I have no less than 5-6 apps running at all times. When I'm on the phone, I can still open contacts and do most anything I would feel the need to do while I'm on the phone.

Get out of town!! Are you serious??? Do you mean I can do more than talk on this crappy Verizon iPhone simultaneously?? Oh, BTW, the rep who sold me this phone said I would hit the lottery within a week. I didn't. I feel like I was duped. Do I have any recourse??

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
lol

AT&T would get me in trouble anyways. My boss and wife wouldn't appreciate me surfing the web while they were trying to tell me something ;)

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Let's recap. You came to a viP4 page and started whining about a feature that you have on a different carrier and vehemently pushed your agenda when we said it didn't bother us.

Now you're slyly suggesting we were "duped" and are trying to force the issue. The fact that you are doing so when you stand nothing to gain is why you are a fanboi. I was happy to discuss with you politely until you started acting like my 7 year old.

You made your choice and clearly we have made ours, can we leave it at that?

Well I guess I should have expected for you to go postal on me POstalTek for my points. :D

But I'm just saying that I can certainly see the point that one of the first posters in this thread made back here.

http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone-forum/207839-what-no-4-3-verizon.html#post1685125

I think that there is some validity to what he is saying, and that he is at the very least somewhat justified in the way that he feels.

Now if that makes me seem to you like your 7yr old, well then I don't know what to say to that.

But calling me a "fanboi" does not change any of the facts that I put out there.

Fine.

But you are missing the point.

What you have posted above though, is the same as someone who has communicated using smoke signals for the past 20 years, saying that using smoke signals gives him "the ability to do everything that he feels the need to do" in terms of communicating.

The point is, that in this day and age, simultaneous voice and data over the network, should be a given. Just like indoor plumbing in a new house.

Last edited:

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I didn't go postal, you'll know if I ever do.. hehe.

I just don't understand what stake you have in "stirring up the pot" as Icy put it. You are clearly on AT&T and are happy with your choice. When someone tells me I've been duped, when I did all the research beforehand and didn't care, it's a hair offensive to me.

When someone further suggests that my phone isn't even an iPhone when Apple disagrees, I think that's silly. You have argued for well over a page about a service you don't even use.. why on earth would you do that unless you were trying to convince us that AT&T is superior? That is the very definition of a fanboi, in my mind.

Anyways, I don't want to argue with you all morning - so I'll let you have the last word. Please understand though, we, the viP4 community, seem to be more than happy with our iP4's right now. Should that change in the future, AT&T will be the first to know about it.

Have a great day ;)

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I didn't go postal, you'll know if I ever do.. hehe.

I just don't understand what stake you have in "stirring up the pot" as Icy put it. You are clearly on AT&T and are happy with your choice. When someone tells me I've been duped, when I did all the research beforehand and didn't care, it's a hair offensive to me.

When someone further suggests that my phone isn't even an iPhone when Apple disagrees, I think that's silly. You have argued for well over a page about a service you don't even use.. why on earth would you do that unless you were trying to convince us that AT&T is superior? That is the very definition of a fanboi, in my mind.

Anyways, I don't want to argue with you all morning - so I'll let you have the last word. Please understand though, we, the viP4 community, seem to be more than happy with our iP4's right now. Should that change in the future, AT&T will be the first to know about it.

Have a great day ;)

I don't want to say that you personally were "duped". Nor do I want to say that your phone is not an iphone4.

I just see, what I see, and I see it as somewhat of a slap in the face and more of VZW's shortcomings when it comes to the iPhone4.

Some of the shenanigans I went through when I was with them.

The "last straw" for me was the Blackberry Storm and then trying to charge me for one of the multiple ones I had to return to them.

My wife and I had 8 Blackberry Storms between us. She wanted to wait on the VZW iPhone4, I went ahead on Labor day and got the ATT version, while she continued to struggle with VZW, fighting them over a better than $300.00 bill for a returned Blackberry. All the while she still kept VZW.

Swore she wouldn't switch and would tough it out until the iPhone4 for VZW came out.

Finally, she could take no more, seeing that charge for that returned Blackberry, still on her bill, and in November, after all of her talk of "dropped calls" and vowing how she would never go back to AT&T, I bought her an Iphone4 while she held onto her 4th and last VZW Blackberry.

So she had two phones. Supposedly for "backup" since AT&T in her mind, dropped an excessive number of calls though she had not had AT&T for several years.

AT&T had a 30 day return on the iPhone4. (VZW only had a 15 day return when they came out with it, but I digress and don't want to get sidetracked on yet another point). I could bring it back if she didn't like it. I told her if it dropped a single call, that back to ATT it would go. Just give it a chance.

I haven't been able to get it away from her since the day I bought it. She is constantly using it at one time or another.

It works like it's supposed to, and every iOS 4.x iPhone feature, with the exception of the hot spot, which will be available in a few days, is available to it.

No dropped calls, no problems, just great service and absolute full functionality of the devices, without having to pull batteries, and without having to fight with the carrier over bogus charges.

So we can have our cake, and eat it too.

Then from the sidelines, I see the marketing campaign for the iPhone4, with VZW knowing full well the limitations their network puts on the device's capabilities.

And now, approximately a month later this latest shoe drops. iOs 4.3 coming out for the other iPhone4, with great new features, to go along with the other great features available on the other network carrying the phone, but no word on when it will be out for the VZW version of the phone.

Another slap in the face, that fortunately this time, I won't have to take.

It's just that after being screwed so many times by them, I am immensely glad that I am no longer in a position to be screwed by them any further. Glad I got out when the getting was still good, and feel somewhat bad to see others getting what appears to be hosed by them, even though I am absent.

This latest news on iOS 4.3, sort of cements it. I see them up to their same old tricks.

All I'm saying is, that I can certainly see the viewpoint expressed by the poster "greasyg2006" here, and a few others who have commented, and relate to it.

http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone-forum/207839-what-no-4-3-verizon.html#post1685125

Last edited:

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
That story atleast explains your stake in the viP, which I thank you for. In my area, VZN is by far the best service and being on a business account I always get great in store customer service.

As much as I like to hate all carriers, I must say that VZN has been good to me so far. They even gave me a free upgrade for the switch to iP4, which I hear any many areas people were refused early upgrades even 1 day early for the viP4 launch.

There is my story. Couple that with the fact that I got in on the unlimited data plan and the fact that I personally wouldn't be using data and voice simultaneously and your have a very happy customer. Not to mention, I didn't have to switch carriers which for a business can be annoying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
That story atleast explains your stake in the viP, which I thank you for. In my are, VZN is by far the best service and being on a business account I always get great in store customer service.

As much as I like to hate all carriers, I must say that VZN has been good to me so far. They even gave me a free upgrade for the switch to iP4, which I hear any many areas people were refused early upgrades even 1 day early for the viP4 launch.

There is my story. Couple that with the fact that I got in on the unlimited data plan and the fact that I personally wouldn't be using data and voice simultaneously and your have a very happy customer. Not to mention, I didn't have to switch carriers which for a business can be annoying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear that it works for you, and any others for whom it does.

I got waived activation fees for all 4 of my AT&T iphone 4s, a $25.00 credit for referring my daughter's boyfriend, 1,000 free rollover minutes, free mobile to any mobile, took my son's 16g back and got a 32g after nearly a month, no questions asked, just the upcharge, had all of my VZW numbers ported over, no charge, have had ONE billing discrepancy which I didn't have to fight with them over to get resolved, indeed they apologized and gave me a $25.00 credit for my trouble.

Had it been VZW, I'd bet it would not have gone this smoothly. To wit, we are just now getting that Blackberry off of my wife's VZW bill after closing the VZW account for good in January.

When the phone first came out on VZW, I got a kick out of reading some of the posts from the new owners in amazement on what the phone would do.

They raved and continue to rave about the ability to do screen shots, etc. Stuff that I myself had been doing for months, but nonetheless, it was understandable the immense enthusiasm new VZW customers had for their new iPhone4s.

But I want to reiterate that I am not saying that you were "duped".

Just saying that when a marketing machine gets going, many people, you, me, many people, can fall under it. So I am not saying that I am any better than anyone else when it comes to being on the receiving end of marketing efforts.

Both carriers have immense marketing machines and are good at what they do.

But I think, and again I know this is going to ruffle some feathers, but that's not my intent, that many new VZW iphone4 owners, thought that they were getting an iPhone with equal across the board, capability to what AT&T was offering, but with the added benefit of less chance of dropping calls.

Perhaps the chance of dropped calls thing they did indeed get, depending upon where they live, work, travel, etc.

But the inequity between the two in what each is capable of doing in terms of smart phone features, the "bells and whistles" is at the root of some of the feelings stated here.

In other words, people are elated that they can get all of this perceived "dependability" and perceived, or even real, advantage over AT&T, when it comes to holding calls.

But they are not happy that the other things that the AT&T iPhone4 will currently do, and will apparently get in a few days, to go into it's already impressive arsenal of key features, won't be coming to their own phones at the same time.

Even though when it comes to calls on their phones being solid as a rock compared to the other carriers out there.

They were already getting that "rock solid" phone calling ability, when they had their old phones and before they paid the $200.00-$300.00 for the new one. Couple that with the fact that many on the other carrier, can get all of the "bells and whistles" offered on the phone PLUS rock solid call holding ability on the other carrier because of where they live, in effect they can have their cake and eat it too, and it really gets heated.

iOS 4.3 is bringing yet new features to the iPhone4. Are the VZW people wrong for expecting their phones to be both rock solid when it comes to holding calls, AND also as "feature rich" as the other variant is????

Does it make one a "fanboi" if this is asked???

I guess what I'm saying is, a lot of these guys have every right to be peeved over this new iOS 4.3 thing not coming immediately to their devices.

Now just whom they should be be peeved at, is a different discussion.

Last edited:

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Sure. They have the right to feel however they want. I cannot fault them, but should Apple really delay the update for AT&T long enough to finish up the Verizon update?

In the end, Verizon customers have only had their phones for a month and already have a newer version of the iOS. How long have AT&T been on 4.2.1? Since November atleast I believe.

I have an AT&T iPad and it's been 4.2.1 for quite some time now, so a staggered release seems better for most iPhone customers who likely never see these forums to know they are being short-changed.

Iphonefour

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sure. They have the right to feel however they want. I cannot fault them, but should Apple really delay the update for AT&T long enough to finish up the Verizon update?

I think that would be fair.

Especially now that you are acquiring new customers to buy your products.

Why alienate a group of people from the new batch of customers you just took away from Android, right after getting them???? You just tapped into a new market which wasn't available to you. Why piss people off in that segment???

So yes, I think that would be fair. Holding off a few days on releasing the iOS 4.3 until it was ready to go for both versions of the phone......unless the Verizon update were going to be a long way away, a long way behind that AT&T version.

In the end, Verizon customers have only had their phones for a month and already have a newer version of the iOS. How long have AT&T been on 4.2.1? Since November atleast I believe.

I have an AT&T iPad and it's been 4.2.1 for quite some time now, so a staggered release seems better for most iPhone customers who likely never see these forums to know they are being short-changed.

Maybe. But when one iphone4 user sees another able to do some of the things on his iphone that he cannot do on his, I don't see that as being a good thing.

Indeed, that has the potential to backfire, more so than it has a chance of succeeding.

Indeed, some here have already complained about fragmented and staggered releases for operating system updates on Droids, and Blackberrys.

Why make the same mistake???

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Come on guys. This release is just about giving AT&T users the Hotspot function, something the Verizon users have had for weeks. What is all the whining about?

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It's not just mobile hotspot. They also claim significant improvements to Safari's javascript processing speed, which is the real benefit of the upgrade. The airplay and iTunes streaming changes are nice too.

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
You think that Apple or Verizon would have said something about this by now, even if it is as little as "iOS 4.3 for AT&T coming March 11th, and Verizon shortly after," or something like that. It isn't what the update provides exactly (though it does offer some nice new features, even for VZW iP's that already have mobile hotspot), it's just that if VZW doesn't get 4.3, then what other major updates will VZW be exluded/dealyed from. I dealt with this update fragmention with Android and I hated it. One of the reasons I decided to go back to the iPhone.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You think that Apple or Verizon would have said something about this by now, even if it is as little as "iOS 4.3 for AT&T coming March 11th, and Verizon shortly after," or something like that. It isn't what the update provides exactly (though it does offer some nice new features, even for VZW iP's that already have mobile hotspot), it's just that if VZW doesn't get 4.3, then what other major updates will VZW be exluded/dealyed from. I dealt with this update fragmention with Android and I hated it. One of the reasons I decided to go back to the iPhone.

I think until they switch to 1 dual mode(cdma/gsm iphone) there will be different version numbers just like when the verizon iphone launched with 4.2.6 and at&t was on 4.2.1 or whatever. I'm sure the verizon iphone will get the rest of the improvements that at&t iphone is getting shortly after 4.3 hits for at&t

mi_canuck#IM

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
honestly, not sure why VZW people are complaining... at least we got 4.2.6 with wifi hotspot tethering well before at&t... so we were first in that respect... now the shoes on the other foot and people are outrage?? why?? there's little in 4.3 to get worked up over... and eventually VZW iP4s will get a variation 4.3.X I'm sure...

i just got a VZW iPhone 4, and frankly am much happier with it than with my AT&T version... more consistently fast (not faster, but overall better for me) data... AT&T was blazing, but more often it was slow due to I'm guessing overloaded towers, or switching between 850 and 1900 (the later having terrible building penetration)...

it's all dependent on your area and what network works best there, but for me, VZW so far is noticeably MUCH better - both in voice and data - that i'll sacrifice getting 4.3 first (i'm just glad 4.2.6 had wifi hotspot) and the simultaneous voice/data, which is nice but for me not a deal breaker - even though i used that feature on my at&t iphone... i'll live ;)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73