Thoughts from an Android Fanboy.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I always shunned the iPhone because after owning an iPod touch I just wasnt that impressed with it.
That's the odd thing about fanboys. They're frequently extremely prejudiced and often based on very little first hand experience. Don't knock it 'til you've really tried it.

I'm currently a Droid user and vicariously testing out the iPhone via the SO.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
That's the odd thing about fanboys. They're frequently extremely prejudiced and often based on very little first hand experience. Don't knock it 'til you've really tried it.

I'm currently a Droid user and vicariously testing out the iPhone via the SO.

I guess owning 3 generations of iPod touches since launch means I have very little first hand experience :rolleyes:

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Long time listener, first time caller...

I've read through this thread and basically it has completely confused me on what I should do. I've been using a Droid X since September and have this thing working like I want it to. It does have its annoying quirks (the occasional reboot, sometimes the speaker doesn't work until I reboot, and some other simply annoying - but not crucial - issues). I do happen to like the widgets, I just don't like how everything has a different interface. This is the OCD in me. I sometimes think, even though I've figured out how to do just about anything with this phone, that it's just TOO much. I'm no computer programmer, which is kinda what I had to turn into to get it running like it should and can.

I do think the iPhone is really sexy, which is why I picked up a used one on eBay for a pretty good price. I just got it, and it looks great, but haven't activated it yet because I have some questions, and after reading this thread I'm not sure I would be able to handle the shakes that would come along with Droid withdrawal.

Can you have different email accounts on there? EDIT - FIGURED THIS ONE OUT And do all (or at least most) apps have the same interface? Like, if I was to use Facebook, would it look like Twitter?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
The facebook app looks almost identical to the one on Android. I havent experimented with any other Twitter applications besides the official one. IMO they definitely look like they have their own identity. I thought I was going to miss the widgets so much, but I dont miss them at all. I do have mine jailbroke and I have LockInfo installed so I can see a bunch of stuff on my lockscreen. I would just play around with it and after a few weeks see which one you like better. I feel both platforms are fantastic but for me I prefer the iOS at this point in time for a few reasons. The first is that I have been playing with it for a week now and have not had any apps Force Close on me. That was the worst thing about Android IMO. The second thing is I am a mac user so this easily syncs everything. I am sure I will own another Android device in the future but for the time being I enjoy my iPhone and very happy with my purchase.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Seems like you have nothing to lose already owning both. If you had asked whether or not to risk purchasing thronging that would be a harder choice. Just try it our for 2 weeks and see what you think. Then if the x is crying out use that.

I came from droid and miss some things. Now that I jailbroke it the iPhone does almost everything I miss and a whole lot more that I love.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the input. I used to have an iPod Touch, so I'm somewhat familiar with it, but I sold it when I got my DX since it seemed kind of unnecessary to me. I did pick up an iPod Classic, though, since all of my music is iTunes. I also figured if I really didn't like the IP4 I would be able to sell it easily, I got such a good price on a flawless 32gb IP4 that I figure I can at least get that money back, worst case scenario. I probably will just use it for a little while and see what I think.

Is there a Google Sync app so I can sync my contacts? I'm assuming so, but thought I'd ask.

Last edited:

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am getting used to the (my opinion) ip4 short coming as opposed to my DX. And am working around them.. That being said it really sounds horrid saying "work around" i know. But i truly do miss my widgets terribly, as well as my swype and notifications. And the screen size is a big thing.. I know i can get something like my notifications IF i JB! But i really don't want to.. But if it get's to the point where i can no longer take it, i still have my DX

But i still enjoy a great many things on the ip4 tho.. But i have discovered it will NEVER fully replace my DX. So i bought a Xoom ;)

Cheers

H

iamgriselda1

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
reading this thread made me even more excited to get my iphone 4! i work for vzw and have had many droids. (droid1, lg ally, droid x and htc incredible) I rooted almost all of them but was never extremely happy with them. cant wait to get it! :)

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
reading this thread made me even more excited to get my iphone 4! i work for vzw and have had many droids. (droid1, lg ally, droid x and htc incredible) I rooted almost all of them but was never extremely happy with them. cant wait to get it! :)

I am sure you will love it:D. It is perfect in it's simplicity to use that is for certain.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I am getting used to the (my opinion) ip4 short coming as opposed to my DX. And am working around them.. That being said it really sounds horrid saying "work around" i know. But i truly do miss my widgets terribly, as well as my swype and notifications. And the screen size is a big thing.. I know i can get something like my notifications IF i JB! But i really don't want to.. But if it get's to the point where i can no longer take it, i still have my DX

But i still enjoy a great many things on the ip4 tho.. But i have discovered it will NEVER fully replace my DX. So i bought a Xoom ;)

Cheers

H

I think (my opinion) you should jail break your phone, install LockInfo and a notifier app. Just to see if you like it, if you dont its really simple to just restore it by plugging it into iTunes. You can have the phone jailbroken, apps installed, and un-jailbroke and restored (if you dont like it) in about 15-20 minutes (depending on the amount of apps and music you have on). I only have a few hundred songs so it doesnt take me that long to restore.

Heather_S

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think (my opinion) you should jail break your phone, install LockInfo and a notifier app. Just to see if you like it, if you dont its really simple to just restore it by plugging it into iTunes. You can have the phone jailbroken, apps installed, and un-jailbroke and restored (if you dont like it) in about 15-20 minutes (depending on the amount of apps and music you have on). I only have a few hundred songs so it doesnt take me that long to restore.

What's the chance for muddling up my phone with this procedure?:eek:
And what is the cost?

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It's easy Heather S.

Download the tool, follow the exact instructions on screen (takes like 20 seconds from start to finish for your interactive part). Just make sure you have iTunes installed on the computer that you are jailbreaking from, but you do NOT want iTunes open. If it does open, just close it before starting the jailbreak.

5 minutes of automated installation after that, and poof, all the customization you could ever want.

It's not exactly free though, the jailbreak is, many of the apps are, but some of the best apps cost a couple bucks (well worth it), but they attach to your Cydia account so you can install them even after a restore and such.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Dont you guys get mixed up with the fuctions when switching between devices. Kind of reminds me of years gone by when you were either a nokia or an erricson user.

i find myself swyping on my iPhone keypad and vice versa, tapping on my Atrix that has the Swype keyboard.

fatboi1986

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
My current device is the Droid X. I love the screen size and how you can customize the device, but I hate how laggy it is at times. Also the Android market is filled with alot of worthless apps. My last complaint is there are to many Android devices out, so the updates you get are minor and it takes forever to get on your device.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
And thats saying something, because on my DX it literally involves using an app to root. So It had better be pretty bloody easy..lol:D

I think he was talking about rooting before there were apps like that. The older ways were a little more in detailed lol.