Send me your MOJO, because i am a hot mess on the ip4 keyboard.
    For me it was all about the swype..
    Be very careful what you wish for

The fact that you mentioned swype is where you and I differ in typing technique.
    I couldn't use it at all. It was difficult. I just found it as something can just use or
    just can't plain out use. No in between.
    03-03-2011 03:18 PM
    Send me your MOJO, because i am a hot mess on the ip4 keyboard.
    For me it was all about the swype..
    I was very worried about not having swype but in all honesty I can type as fast on the ip4 keyboard as my wife can on swype. Just gotta get use to it I guess
    03-03-2011 03:55 PM
    See i was blazingly fast with swype. I guess there is a reason that the all the speed texting records have been set using it.. Because i just flew on it. My GF is also experiencing some drag with it as well. But aside from that she has transitioned far better than i..
    03-03-2011 04:21 PM
    The biggest problem I had with swype was spacing and actually getting the word that I wanted. It was
    just an awful experience for me. I'm pretty impatient with things sometimes. Just couldn't get the hang
    of it.

With the iPhone keyboard, I can literally type a six letter word and get three letters wrong. And as long
    as those letters are in the vicinity of what was supposed to be there, it's correct 95% of the time.
    03-03-2011 04:28 PM
    LOL, we are truly have mirrored effects on different devices.. Because i found swype vastly more intuitive that the ip4 keyboard. And the room afforded by the DX's larger keyboard was marvy!

I guess i need more time on it or just accept that i will not like it as much as my swype.
    03-03-2011 04:37 PM
    But it has a really sharp screen
    03-03-2011 04:42 PM
    This is my confession.

I am a former Palm user who when through 2 iphones on ATT. I finally moved over to VZ b/c of dropped calls and very bad coverage. After playing with a few friends DX's and others I bought a DX at Costco for $10 and signed up w/ VZ. I thought it would be like my old Palm days where I could play with every aspect of the phone. I realized right away that I wasn't the same person that I use to be... After a week I gave the DX back and went through a number of hoops to get to an iPhone 4. I don't miss android or the DX a bit.

What I liked about the DX.
    Status Bar at the top.
    Form Factor.
    Big Screen.
    Better browser.

What drove me back to the Iphone:
    Battery Life was horrid and I did download a few different apps to fix this.
    TOO BRIGHT!!
    Mine was HOT to the touch!!
    TOO Complicated!! It took usually 2 steps to do what I wanted on the phone.
    The apps weren't smooth. Lots of herky, jerky....

I got my iPHone 4 witch was an upgrade from a 3gs to me.
    I love the simplicity and the battery life. I just hooked it up to my iTunes and was back to where I belong.

This is my confession..
    03-03-2011 05:26 PM
    I thought of two other things that were better on the DX.

Speakerphone
    Keyboard.

Not biggies IMO.
    03-03-2011 05:36 PM
    IMO, the speakerphone on the DX was one of the worst I've ever had. It wasn't nearly loud enough. As for Swype, I see I'm not the only one who hated it lol. I love the keyboard on the iPhone
    03-03-2011 06:07 PM
    Well like i said, to each their own. I am sure i will adjust to its short coming just fine.
    But a few things i will always miss.
    In no particular order

1. Swype
    2. Notifications (without jb)
    3. Status Bar
    4. DX Speaker phone (which was far superior to my ip4)
    5. Screen Size
    6. Ability to use any music on it as a ring tone (without an app or jb)
    7. Just some of the over all custom-ability of it i guess. deep down i am a tinkerer..

But i am getting used to working around what my ip4 cant do, and exploiting what it does. So all should be well

Cheers

H
    03-03-2011 07:28 PM
    I type faster on the iPhone keyboard, but I love Swype. On my Nexus one, it was a nightmare to use.
    I really don't have many negatives about either platform. I do prefer the iPhone because of the things that it does, it does well and looks good well doing it. App switching, copy & paste, the screen and the video editing to name a few.
    03-04-2011 01:22 AM
    I had swype on my original droid and loved it. Then I got the fascinate and the swype wasn't as good. Not sure if the screen size was the issue for me because I had to slide further or not. I found my self typing on the swype keyboard instead. I rooted my droid and didn't see much of a point to it. All the themes you could get by downloading an app. I JB the iphone and changed my icons and removed some of the apps I would never use and that might be all I do with it.
    03-04-2011 12:43 PM
    I had swype on my original droid and loved it. Then I got the fascinate and the swype wasn't as good. Not sure if the screen size was the issue for me because I had to slide further or not. I found my self typing on the swype keyboard instead. I rooted my droid and didn't see much of a point to it. All the themes you could get by downloading an app. I JB the iphone and changed my icons and removed some of the apps I would never use and that might be all I do with it.
    That' because luv, nothing works right on the galaxie phones. My friends simply will NOT perform GPS correctly.. Lovely screens. Bad important things.
    03-04-2011 06:07 PM
    so there is a notification bar? one that will show me what new emails i have, what texts i received, missed calls, facebook updates, etc? not like i have to hunt them down myself if i miss the popup thing?
    03-05-2011 02:45 AM
    so there is a notification bar? one that will show me what new emails i have, what texts i received, missed calls, facebook updates, etc? not like i have to hunt them down myself if i miss the popup thing?
    If you stick with the stock look of the phone when you have a missed call, text, facebook, email etc there will be a red circle around that app with the number of missed alerts.

If you jailbreak there are many apps that will put the notifications in the status bar.
    03-05-2011 08:17 AM
    I always shunned the iPhone because after owning an iPod touch I just wasnt that impressed with it.
    That's the odd thing about fanboys. They're frequently extremely prejudiced and often based on very little first hand experience. Don't knock it 'til you've really tried it.

I'm currently a Droid user and vicariously testing out the iPhone via the SO.
    03-05-2011 10:25 AM
    That's the odd thing about fanboys. They're frequently extremely prejudiced and often based on very little first hand experience. Don't knock it 'til you've really tried it.

I'm currently a Droid user and vicariously testing out the iPhone via the SO.
    I guess owning 3 generations of iPod touches since launch means I have very little first hand experience
    03-05-2011 11:04 AM
    Long time listener, first time caller...

I've read through this thread and basically it has completely confused me on what I should do. I've been using a Droid X since September and have this thing working like I want it to. It does have its annoying quirks (the occasional reboot, sometimes the speaker doesn't work until I reboot, and some other simply annoying - but not crucial - issues). I do happen to like the widgets, I just don't like how everything has a different interface. This is the OCD in me. I sometimes think, even though I've figured out how to do just about anything with this phone, that it's just TOO much. I'm no computer programmer, which is kinda what I had to turn into to get it running like it should and can.

I do think the iPhone is really sexy, which is why I picked up a used one on eBay for a pretty good price. I just got it, and it looks great, but haven't activated it yet because I have some questions, and after reading this thread I'm not sure I would be able to handle the shakes that would come along with Droid withdrawal.

Can you have different email accounts on there? EDIT - FIGURED THIS ONE OUT And do all (or at least most) apps have the same interface? Like, if I was to use Facebook, would it look like Twitter?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Wildo6882; 03-05-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    03-05-2011 12:38 PM
    The facebook app looks almost identical to the one on Android. I havent experimented with any other Twitter applications besides the official one. IMO they definitely look like they have their own identity. I thought I was going to miss the widgets so much, but I dont miss them at all. I do have mine jailbroke and I have LockInfo installed so I can see a bunch of stuff on my lockscreen. I would just play around with it and after a few weeks see which one you like better. I feel both platforms are fantastic but for me I prefer the iOS at this point in time for a few reasons. The first is that I have been playing with it for a week now and have not had any apps Force Close on me. That was the worst thing about Android IMO. The second thing is I am a mac user so this easily syncs everything. I am sure I will own another Android device in the future but for the time being I enjoy my iPhone and very happy with my purchase.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    03-05-2011 01:49 PM
    Seems like you have nothing to lose already owning both. If you had asked whether or not to risk purchasing thronging that would be a harder choice. Just try it our for 2 weeks and see what you think. Then if the x is crying out use that.

I came from droid and miss some things. Now that I jailbroke it the iPhone does almost everything I miss and a whole lot more that I love.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    03-05-2011 01:51 PM
    Dont you guys get mixed up with the fuctions when switching between devices. Kind of reminds me of years gone by when you were either a nokia or an erricson user.
    03-05-2011 03:07 PM
    I appreciate the input. I used to have an iPod Touch, so I'm somewhat familiar with it, but I sold it when I got my DX since it seemed kind of unnecessary to me. I did pick up an iPod Classic, though, since all of my music is iTunes. I also figured if I really didn't like the IP4 I would be able to sell it easily, I got such a good price on a flawless 32gb IP4 that I figure I can at least get that money back, worst case scenario. I probably will just use it for a little while and see what I think.

Is there a Google Sync app so I can sync my contacts? I'm assuming so, but thought I'd ask.
    Last edited by Wildo6882; 03-05-2011 at 03:11 PM.
    03-05-2011 03:07 PM
    I am getting used to the (my opinion) ip4 short coming as opposed to my DX. And am working around them.. That being said it really sounds horrid saying "work around" i know. But i truly do miss my widgets terribly, as well as my swype and notifications. And the screen size is a big thing.. I know i can get something like my notifications IF i JB! But i really don't want to.. But if it get's to the point where i can no longer take it, i still have my DX

But i still enjoy a great many things on the ip4 tho.. But i have discovered it will NEVER fully replace my DX. So i bought a Xoom

Cheers

H
    03-05-2011 03:51 PM
    reading this thread made me even more excited to get my iphone 4! i work for vzw and have had many droids. (droid1, lg ally, droid x and htc incredible) I rooted almost all of them but was never extremely happy with them. cant wait to get it!
    03-05-2011 04:16 PM
    reading this thread made me even more excited to get my iphone 4! i work for vzw and have had many droids. (droid1, lg ally, droid x and htc incredible) I rooted almost all of them but was never extremely happy with them. cant wait to get it!
    I am sure you will love it. It is perfect in it's simplicity to use that is for certain.
    03-05-2011 04:25 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD