iOS 4.3 March 11th for all iOS devices except CDMA

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Cant wait! I wonder if they will be putting out a GM seed first or go straight to the official on the 11th. hmmm...

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know why CDMA is not supported? Personal Hotspot is not the only new thing to iOS 4.3

Wouldn't it make sense to unify the line?

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
From the TiPb article calling out no CDMA, my thoughts/concerns
The only ?New? 4.3 Feature already in 4.2.6 (current VZW blend) is the hotspot.
New in 4.3:
  • Dramatic improvements to Safari and Nitro JavaScript engine. 2x as fast as before.
  • iTunes Home Sharing so you can stream from your Mac or Windows PC right to your iPad.
  • AirPlay is improved to allow all apps and websites to support video as well as audio.
  • Photobooth, the popular Mac app, is coming to iOS
Home Sharing and AirPlay are important to me. Assuming MLB@Bat 2011 supports video out, that will be huge for me. So not having it will be a bit of a bummer.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
... and NO jailbreak for 4.3 yet... gonna have to wait... no compelling reason to upgrade my phone at this point... I'll go 4.3 on my iPod Touch and iPad though

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
... and NO jailbreak for 4.3 yet... gonna have to wait... no compelling reason to upgrade my phone at this point... I'll go 4.3 on my iPod Touch and iPad though

My iPhones never run 100% right while JB so that doesnt even matter to me. I even tried greenpois0n for 3 days and had bugs. Im jumping to 4.3

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know why CDMA is not supported? Personal Hotspot is not the only new thing to iOS 4.3

Wouldn't it make sense to unify the line?

Probably because of the differences between GSM and CDMA. They probably have decided to deal with one release (and its problems) at a time. CDMA version should be along fairly quickly.

Not so sure that unification is possible until they activate the joint Qualcomm GSM/CDMA chip that is used in the Verizon iPhone 4 for CDMA only.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Probably because of the differences between GSM and CDMA. They probably have decided to deal with one release (and its problems) at a time. CDMA version should be along fairly quickly.

Not so sure that unification is possible until they activate the joint Qualcomm GSM/CDMA chip that is used in the Verizon iPhone 4 for CDMA only.

If that is the case, then Verizon iPhone 4 customers would always be separate. Interesting thought, but why no mention what so ever?

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
As an iPhone 3G holdout, I take exception to your subject line. The iPhone 3G *IS* an iOS device, but it is not supported by 4.3.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think they decided to release it to AT&T phones first because Verizon customers haven't even had their iPhones for a full month, so they figure let AT&T have the update first and i'm sure they'll have a CDMA update (Verizon) soon enough. . . Im sure this isn't the ONLY reason, however i'm sure it played a role in it.

MysticMoonstone

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know for SURE that 4.3 will fix the bluetooth audio controls in cars as i read on the beta forums???? 4.1 and 4.2 broke that ability so you cant see or control the iphone via car bluetooth in ANY 2010/2011 models

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As a Verizon user, I'm not all that worried about 4.3 not coming at the same time as
the GSM phones will get it. It'll come soon after. No big deal. I'm sure this will be the norm.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
As a Verizon user, I'm not all that worried about 4.3 not coming at the same time as
the GSM phones will get it. It'll come soon after. No big deal. I'm sure this will be the norm.

I totally agree, i waited long enough to get the actual iPhone that i dont care if i have to wait for the update.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

The thing is, this is something that Apple has said was a disadvantage of Android. Fragmentation. Now, if it was just personal hotspot? Ok. But apps will begin to update to iOS 4.3 capability, and we on Verizon will not get the advantages. iTunes home sharing? Again, not for Verizon users. Those two are my biggest beefs. The speed improvements in safari are good, too. I just think that some official word should go out, since they clearly called it out. I am sure the google alert I get tonight for Verizon iPhone will have a few sites with a dig or two about fragmentation.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The thing is, this is something that Apple has said was a disadvantage of Android. Fragmentation. Now, if it was just personal hotspot? Ok. But apps will begin to update to iOS 4.3 capability, and we on Verizon will not get the advantages. iTunes home sharing? Again, not for Verizon users. Those two are my biggest beefs. The speed improvements in safari are good, too. I just think that some official word should go out, since they clearly called it out. I am sure the google alert I get tonight for Verizon iPhone will have a few sites with a dig or two about fragmentation.

The only problem is that you're kind of making it sound like the CDMA version
will get the update in 3 months. I'd bet my money that it would be released soon
after the 11th. But we'll see how this goes.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
The only problem is that you're kind of making it sound like the CDMA version
will get the update in 3 months. I'd bet my money that it would be released soon
after the 11th. But we'll see how this goes.

You illustrate my point. We don't know when. Is it the end of the world? No. Just would be nice to acknowledge tray it isn't ready and a timeline.

smalcom

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
If that is the case, then Verizon iPhone 4 customers would always be separate. Interesting thought, but why no mention what so ever?

Just a thought on my part. Can't think of any other reason why one release won't work on both. There has to be some basic difference (I'm guessing hardware) that keeps the OS from running on either phone. Techically, iOS is OS X (or at least it used to be.) Again, it's only a guess on my part as to the Qualcomm chip, but why use that chip if they weren't planning on a single product at some point.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234