iOS 4.3 March 11th for all iOS devices except CDMA

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
The thing is, this is something that Apple has said was a disadvantage of Android. Fragmentation. Now, if it was just personal hotspot? Ok. But apps will begin to update to iOS 4.3 capability, and we on Verizon will not get the advantages. iTunes home sharing? Again, not for Verizon users. Those two are my biggest beefs. The speed improvements in safari are good, too. I just think that some official word should go out, since they clearly called it out. I am sure the google alert I get tonight for Verizon iPhone will have a few sites with a dig or two about fragmentation.

technically, it isn't really fragmentation. it's 2 variants, for now. android has so many current devices coming out with old OSes, new OSes and hybrid OSes (due to the manufacturers adding things like Blue or Sense UI).

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
technically, it isn't really fragmentation. it's 2 variants, for now. android has so many current devices coming out with old OSes, new OSes and hybrid OSes (due to the manufacturers adding things like Blue or Sense UI).

I get your point, and it is like with the first iPad. But if I have to wait until iOS 5, this summer (assumption) and apps like MLB@Bat support the video out at the beginning of the season? I'll be at a disadvantage. Again, not the end of the world, but a cause for disappointment.

That said, seems like there are some blogs with a bit more detail saying that it is coming soon, but it isn't clear if this is per Apple or speculation. My guess is it would be iOS 4.3.1

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Probably because of the differences between GSM and CDMA.

I doubt this is the reason as there are now two version of the iPad as well. One for AT&T and one for Verizon, and they are both getting 4.3. If it works on a CDMA iPad then why not a CDMA iPhone.

Of course I may be wrong seeing as how we don't know what radio chips are in the new iPads yet.

disflipissofresh

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
No multitouch gesture on iOS 4.3 GM for iPhone 4? Installed a few minutes ago and can't find any option to turn it on. Any ideas?

PS: I'm not a developer.

morgantm89

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
No multitouch gesture on iOS 4.3 GM for iPhone 4? Installed a few minutes ago and can't find any option to turn it on. Any ideas?

PS: I'm not a developer.

You have to turn it on in xCode. Which you can't do since you not a dev and probably don't have access to Xcode

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

mackattack00

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
And I think Verizon will get the 4.3 update pretty soon and then Verizon will get something exclusive in the next update. I can see the updates for different carriers playing leap frog with each other

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I find it funny how you VZ users running 4.2.6 or somethig with Personal Hotspot for a month while everone else runs 4.2.1 with no Hotspot talk about not getting 4.3:p Really though like everyone said Apple will not have iPhone customers waiting on the upgrade for too long. It comes down to the usual would you like it right now or done right? If you get it right now bt it breaks your phone you wont be a happy customer.

The guys talking about buggy JB, I used my 1st gen and then 3G permanently JB for almost 3 years and I had better performance and stability than vanilla phones I saw in the forums, stop holding it wrong :p

Raskal

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the iPhone, Verizon style. A long track record of being the last to release manufacturer updates, especially on Blackberry, appears to continue with Apple. Big surprise.

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not at all bothered by this. I'm still on cloud 9 from getting my viP4 last month. As Ipheuria said, we had 4.2.6 for the last month while everyone else (inc my iPad) was working off 4.2.1. Granted, personal hotspot didn't help me at all (thx MiWi), but I'm sure many people got the use of it early and many more were on AT&T and *wish* that they had it available.

On the jailbreak note, I've had some performance issues but usually when I did something wrong or was trying a new app that was off the beaten path. By and large, I have everything up and running and thanks to FakeClockUp, it actually responds *faster* than a stock iP4. Don't ask me how/why, but it does.

I only have to respring when I change something, otherwise it runs flawlessly.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the iPhone, Verizon style. A long track record of being the last to release manufacturer updates, especially on Blackberry, appears to continue with Apple. Big surprise.

I'm not following you here? Apple is actually better than most of the other platforms because the updates are pushed out by Apple regardless of Carrier. I've heard of horror stories on Android where people didn't get the update for a month after it was released. These guys pu out the updat and it's up to the carriers to send it out.

anon4705193

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not following you here? Apple is actually better than most of the other platforms because the updates are pushed out by Apple regardless of Carrier. I've heard of horror stories on Android where people didn't get the update for a month after it was released. These guys pu out the updat and it's up to the carriers to send it out.

I think the original poster of that comment was dissing Verizon, not Apple. Verizon was terrible about timely updates for Blackberry, and that this may be happening with their relationship with Apple.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Apple controls software updates and not Verizon(a very good thing). Apple does give us several OS updates throughout the year. Started 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1, and now 4.3 all for GSM. I would assume you will see them same for CDMA. I think CDMA got left out just due to Verizon may be the only carrier in the world having a CDMA iPhone to where GSM has tons. 4.3 still may be coming for CDMA or Apple just may skip it since its not a major update and just put CDMA on par with the rest at iOS 5.0

riteshp83

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I really don't see apple keeping 4.3 out of verizon iPhone customers too long. I think they will either release it on the 11th or a weeks after.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think the original poster of that comment was dissing Verizon, not Apple. Verizon was terrible about timely updates for Blackberry, and that this may be happening with their relationship with Apple.

Ahhh thanks couldn't really understand what they were saying.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711