Is Verizon Throttling Data?

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I agree. Anyone under 5GB should not even be considered. The mobile hotspot on my old pre was 5GB, and that was free.

That is a total of 10GB a pre user can theoretically use and should have ZERO worry of throttle. It's all about the $$$. Users constantly tell me to get high speed Internet to solve this but the thing is, that does not exist as an option in most rural areas like mine. Just a slap in the face since I can't stream music or use Netflix time to time much less browse the web at dial up speeds.

Sorry for all my rants friends. Just very disappointed but hopefully jumping the gun on the throttling. I will get some answers from VZW today and report back on the throttling issues.

d0ster

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you experiencing slower speed at certain times? I notice with my phone with around 3 bars in the early morning i get consistent .6mbps or .7mbps download but later in the afternoon I'll get around .4 or .5 . I'm assuming just more smartphones on the towers.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
When I tested my speed I got over 2MBs down. I know I'm not getting throttled because I primarily use my iPhone on Wifi.

2d8ebad0.jpg

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems to get even slower by the day on 3g.

Guys, the problem with the SpeedTest app is, it's not very accurate. I sat and did 5 tests from my "local" server, all averaging 300 kpbs down and 500 up, which makes no sense that down would be slower than up. Then I switched and found a server over 600 miles away, and got 1.45 mpbs down and 900 kbps up. So obviously the local server or the ISP that hosts that server isn't reliable.

So many things can affect a speedtest, including but not limited to tower load, your specific location, your speed, traffic on the backhaul, the number of hops between your phone and the server location, the reliability of the server's ISP, overall internet traffic, installation of LTE, etc. etc. And don't forget, if you're not in a VZW backhaul location (i.e. NY has Verizon fiber everywhere, probably not where I am in New Orleans), you don't know how far your data travels. Through traceroutes it seems my data travels through Dallas, even if I'm running a traceroute to a server physically located next to me (i.e. my home internet).

You have to take multiple speedtest samples from multiple server locations over many days to see if you're experiencing any real effect. I would doubt that, unless you're hitting well over 10 gigs usage in a month (and I mean WELL over), you're probably not getting capped.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old post, but wanted to give an update. Visiting a friend in eastern North Carolina. Back home in Greenville, SC, I average around 500-600 Kbps, with the occasional 1 Mbps.

Here, I have yet to get under 2 Mbps. So, at least to me, it is a tower issue, as the have stated the recently did work on the towers. My feeling is that they are continuing to work on them as Greenville is due to get 4G this summer. Hopefully the upgrades for 4G help 3G speeds.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Update your PRL and the like to see if that helps. At 6.3 gigs, it wouldn't surprise me if you're throttled. While 6.3 gigs is a lot, I don't think it's enough to be throttled. Over 10? Yeah, get throttled.

ce4395b0.jpg

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I have come to terms that my VZW data speeds where i live are just flat out garbage. Data speeds in Jackson/Humboldt, TN rarely top 0.70 Mbps with 5 bars and that's on a good day. My EVO got 1.3 Mbps with 1-2 bars in same testing locations.

So maybe not throttling for me just awful data. Sprint to VZW was a definite step backwards but I did it for the 4G which is coming to my area by the end of 2011! :)

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have come to terms that my VZW data speeds where i live are just flat out garbage. Data speeds in Jackson/Humboldt, TN rarely top 0.70 Mbps with 5 bars and that's on a good day. My EVO got 1.3 Mbps with 1-2 bars in same testing locations.

So maybe not throttling for me just awful data. Sprint to VZW was a definite step backwards but I did it for the 4G which is coming to my area by the end of 2011! :)

What are AT&T's speeds like there?

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
When I had AT&T and the 3GS, I had maybe 1-2 bars of service and switched between 3G and edge way too often but still pulled down 1.5-2 mbps easily, same locations I'm at now. That was around April of 2010. If Sprint had better phone choices I'd say they might be the best CDMA choice if data is your main use.

Update:

In Memphis, TN I'm getting some of the fastest speeds i have ever seen on VZW.

aefcb79d-9306-d55d.jpg

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If Sprint had better phone choices I'd say they might be the best CDMA choice if data is your main use.
aefcb79d-9306-d55d.jpg

That is going to depend on area. Here it is the oppisite. I am currently running an EVO and use the force roam app quite often. At worse, they are even. Usually Verizon between 2-4 faster. This is why I am changing as soon as Sprint cuts me loose.

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
That is going to depend on area. Here it is the oppisite. I am currently running an EVO and use the force roam app quite often. At worse, they are even. Usually Verizon between 2-4 faster. This is why I am changing as soon as Sprint cuts me loose.

Yeah, everything is based on location. I have never seen 1mbps, much less 2 Mbps, with full signal where I live or the surrounding areas. I hate that I have a good signal but crap data speeds bc the phone flies when u r pulling down 2+ Mbps. Memphis also has LTE, which was fun playing with on my friends phone. Can't wait until we have a LTE iPhone!

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I started a thread a while back http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone-forum/206020-what-you-getting-download-speeds.html asking for people to post their speeds.

While I had an AT&T and my wife had a VZW iPhone 4, I always had a higher DL speed comparted to her (sometimes more than 1Mbps) but in real world tests... such as downloading the same app or opening a webpage we're always very close to completion time. In fact she wins sometimes.

Take that for what it's worth. The speed test apps are nice but I don't believe they give real world results.

mi_canuck#IM

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
No matter where I am, I can't get more than a 1.0 Mbps download even with 3g and 5 bars. What gives?

that is normal... verizon isn't known for its speed, at least on EV-DO... if you want speed on an iphone, go to at&t (and take your chances on dropped calls ;)), or upgrade to a Thunderbolt with LTE (assuming your area has it, and again, taking your chances with battery life :D)

Taco50

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
That's actually pretty good speeds for Verizon 3G. If you google some recent speed tests done on the different carriers that's about where VZW's speeds fall.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro