Mobile Protect vs Squaretrade?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Before I buy the Squaretrades for these iPhones...I wanted to see if anyone used/uses http://www.mymobileprotect.com/ which is apparently through Asurian through ATT. The price is insane, but it covers theft/loss/cracked screens/water damage. $12/mo per phone and $199 deductible if you claim it.

That is steep, vs the $100/each phone of Squaretrade but Squaretrade doesn't cover loss or theft.

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's the reason I went with squaretrade over any other insurer. Lets say after 1 year of being insured you drop your phone and break it. With square trade you paid about $100 for the coverage plus a $50 deductible for a total of $150. With Asurian, You pay $12 a month which adds up to $144 after 1 year plus you add in the $200 deductible for a total of $344. That's almost $200 more for the same amount of time.

The difference is like you said, Asurian offers coverage for loss and theft but you definitely pay for it. Loss and theft coverage doesn't matter to me as I have never had my phone either stolen or lost in the many years of owning cell phones. I have had them break though. In the end it's up to you. Just remember that the $12 a month will add up quickly, and the longer you go without making a claim means that eventually it would have been cheaper to just buy a new phone straight out.

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Asurion doesn't cover water damage as far as I know and I've lost two phones to "unexpected swims". Squaretrade covers full submerssion AND don't disqualify for jailbroken iPhones. 50 dollar deductible is much better than 200.

And they sent me an unexpected free phone case a week later. $81 for 2 years is a steal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Squaretrade is much more economical in the long run, but I have a feeling if the iPhone 5 still has the glass back the price is gonna be way more expensive. I read an article a few months ago where somebody from Squaretrade said their iPhone replacements were up 3-4 times than with previous iPhone models.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Asurion doesn't cover water damage as far as I know and I've lost two phones to "unexpected swims". Squaretrade covers full submerssion AND don't disqualify for jailbroken iPhones. 50 dollar deductible is much better than 200.

And they sent me an unexpected free phone case a week later. $81 for 2 years is a steal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking this too. Not certain though.

I'm 100% sure that they cover all damage. They also cover lost or stolen which SquareTrade does not. I have MobileProtect through Asurion and love the peace of mind that I get that I will not be paying retail for another iPhone.

Below is directly from their iTunes description.

The best way to insure your iPhone

✓ Loss ✓ Theft ✓ Cracked Screens ✓ Water Damage ✓ Other Damage ✓ Out of Warranty Failure

MobileProtect is the most comprehensive coverage for your iPhone. It covers loss and theft in addition to damage (such as cracked screens or water damage) and out of warranty failure. With 50% of all claims being for lost and stolen phones, MobileProtect provides you with total coverage. It?s inevitable?accidents happen. When they do, MobileProtect has your iPhone covered.

● Who?s Eligible ●

Act today! You can only enroll in MobileProtect within 30 days of activating or upgrading your iPhone.

● What You Get ●

✓ Replacement iPhone without paying full retail price
✓ Next day delivery* (cut-offs as late as 9PM ET)
✓ Peace of mind that you have comprehensive coverage
✓ Easy online claims 24/7/365

● What You Don?t Get ●

X Huge upfront or replacement costs
X Time-consuming appointments
X Waiting for days or weeks for repairs!
X Partial coverage with its associated rejected claims

The MobileProtect App runs a few quick tests to ensure your iPhone is eligible for coverage. If your iPhone qualifies, you can then enroll in MobileProtect with Asurion.

● Why Asurion? ●

Asurion, the choice of the leading national wireless companies, provides iPhone users with the cost, coverage and convenience they demand in protecting their iPhone. Every day, we provide protection to over 90 million customers just like you.

*Next day or Saturday delivery is not available in all areas. Delivery is not available on Sunday

MobileProtect is underwritten by Continental Casualty Company, a CNA company, and administered by Asurion Protection Services, LLC, a licensed agent of CNA. In California, Asurion Protection Services Insurance Agency, LLC, (CA License #OD63161). In Puerto Rico, Asurion Protection Services of Puerto Rico, Inc.

MobileProtect is a trademark of Asurion Corporation. iPhone is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
When you claim through Square Trade don't they try to fix it? They also just give you credit towards a new one if they can't fix it, right?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
When you claim through Square Trade don't they try to fix it? They also just give you credit towards a new one if they can't fix it, right?

i've never used or researched anything about them... they lost me when they didn't include lost or stolen.

i would call them up and ask them to be on the safe side.

Amber@Asurion

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
MobileProtect Comprehensive Coverage

If you look at the comprehensive coverage options for your iPhone, MobileProtect protects you from loss, theft, damage (including water) and out of warranty issues or defects. With 50% of phone claims resulting from loss or theft, MobileProtect has you covered. BTW, you can also make up to 2claims within a 12-month period beginning with your first claim, and receive next day iPhone replacement in most cases. Learn more at mymobileprotect.com.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Mymobileprotect.com is not loading for me anymore today...but Ill check through the Asurion site.

I had no issues replacing my husbands crappy flips both times I washed them. But I am concerned that if I wash an iPhone it might not be covered with either!

cariduros

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the comprehensive coverage options for your iPhone, MobileProtect protects you from loss, theft, damage (including water) and out of warranty issues or defects. With 50% of phone claims resulting from loss or theft, MobileProtect has you covered. BTW, you can also make up to 2claims within a 12-month period beginning with your first claim, and receive next day iPhone replacement in most cases. Learn more at mymobileprotect.com.

Unless you're in Florida...right?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
According to the terms and conditions of the MobileProtect/Asurian option:

Does not cover "loss caused by or resulting from change of inhancement in color, texture or finish. Loss caused by or resulting from expansion, contraction, or any cosmetic damage of covered property, however caused. Such excluded cases include, but are not limited to scratches, marring, and cracked displays that occur to covered property that do not affect the mechnical or electrical function of the Covered property"

So you don't get a replacement if you break the screen but the phone still works.

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Asurion covers spills, but does not cover full immersion (drop in a toilet/puddle, pool, etc). It does cover loss/theft. Deductible is up to $199, at $10.99 a month. Voids warranty if phone is "Jailbroken".

Squaretrade covers full immersion, but does not cover loss/theft. Deductible is $50, at ~4.10 a month ($99 for 2 years, unless you paid $81 like I did when Verizon launched). Squaretrade does not void warranty for "Jailbroken" iPhones.

Both warranties cover "normal use issues" and drops.

To answer an earlier poster: Squaretrade reserves the right to attempt to fix your phone for 5 days max. If they cannot (or decide not to), you are cut a check for full retail price of a new phone. (not credit)

** From Squaretrade's iPhone site:
Please note that unlocked iPhones are not eligible for coverage from SquareTrade. Unlocking an iPhone after purchase will void a SquareTrade warranty. Phones that are "jailbroken" are eligible for coverage, but SquareTrade does not cover issues that occur as a result of jailbreaking. Any iPhones unlocked by tampering with hardware are not eligible for coverage, and hardware tampering after purchase will void a SquareTrade warranty.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I think Ill probably go Square Trade. I keep reading all this stuff, and while Asurion has been great with TEP for my husbands sprint phone, it doesn't look so good for the iPhone coverage. Not to mention 2x the price.

I will attempt again in the morning. I had issues with my Visa and I found out it's everyone in my credit union. Not a good sign. If I have to Ill just amex it to my business and pay myself back.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro