Answering Calls

gatorfan79

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
When my phone rings, sometimes it has a slide bar to answer the phone (slide from left to right to answer) and sometimes it just has a red "decline" and green "accept" button. What's up with that? How come it switches from one to the other? I'd prefer pressing "accept" rather than sliding, is there a way to do that? I'm not jailbroken.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
If the phone is locked and you get a call you get the "slide to answer". If the phone is not locked and you get a call you get the red and green buttons to answer.

Reactions: gatorfan79

miro

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree, i would rather have the accept rather than the slide. Not sure if you can get around it jailbroken either, but if someone knows please chime in.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
This is by design. If the device is not locked, usually you're using it ( it's in your hand ) so pressing the "Accept" or "Decline" button is fine. When it is locked, you can't be using it and it might be in a pocket, purse, whatever. You wouldn't want to accidentally pocket answer right?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
This is by design. If the device is not locked, usually you're using it ( it's in your hand ) so pressing the "Accept" or "Decline" button is fine. When it is locked, you can't be using it and it might be in a pocket, purse, whatever. You wouldn't want to accidentally pocket answer right?

I also prefer it this way. I don't want to accidentially answer while pulling it out of my pocket, especially if it's somone I don't want to talk too right now.

gatorfan79

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, that's true. Ah the good ol days of BB butt-dialing... :D

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
There's a jailbreak app to change the slide to answer to accept or decline buttons no matter if the phones locked or not

miro

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
JasonG do you recall the jailbreak app name?

I understand this is a preference thing. I happen to like the accept or decline option. I am happy to hear it is available. Thanks.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Then there should be an option that you have to slide it, then hit whether you want to accept or decline it.

ImStrapped

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I also prefer it this way. I don't want to accidentially answer while pulling it out of my pocket, especially if it's somone I don't want to talk too right now.

Exactly. Apple thought this out, it's not just something they randomly wanted to put there to annoy everyone.

fmouse

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Sliding a slider is a two-handed operation - one hand to hold the phone and the other to slide the slider. Answering a phone should be doable with one hand. The slider also doesn't work if you have gloves or mittens on, so one has to take off at least one glove to answer a call. Inside an Otter Box, the Home button isn't that easy to press by accident, and being able to press the Home button to answer a call just makes sense.